Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so many exhaust questions in the other forums I feel like a Borla review thread is long overdue. Since Borla is always a part of any discussion regarding exhausts and I just installed mine this week, I'll go first.

(I didn't have my camera with me for the installation but I'll post pics and maybe some sound clips later if anyone hasn't seen enough Borla pics and sound clips already.)

*My car is an 05 GT automatic and already had an Ingen SRI prior to the exhaust*

Overview

After having my Tib for a year and a half I decided it was time to stop putting off buying an exhaust. One day I decided to put it off no more and ordered the Borla exhaust that I've wanted since the day I got the car. A week later I came home from work to find a box roughly the size of a casket waiting for me.

Choosing Borla was a no brainer and the only other exhaust I considered was Ingen. I didn't want two (or one) enormous tips hanging off of the back of my car. Plus, you can't go wrong with Borla for any car. It's something a little different for the import world.

Opening the casket, I took a look at all of the pieces. They are all VERY solid, high quality 304 grade steel which the informative brochure goes into great detail describing. Everything is very cleanly welded. The exhaust basically consists of a long, skinny resonator to be located directly behind the factory cat which then splits into an over axle Y pipe flowing directly to the two "mufflers". The mufflers look fairly large, but they're actually much smaller than the stock ones. The exhaust tips are the only part of the system that are polished and they are nicely engraved with the Borla logo. Some may not like the fact that the rest of the piping isn't polished but I truly don't care. It's made to function on the street, not to be judged at a car show.

Installation

Installation is pretty much a non factor. Borla gets a huge thumbs up for including an incredibly detailed instruction manual (also available on their website) for the removal of the stock exhaust and the installation of the new one. Installation is a cakewalk and your biggest problem should be deciding how to lift the car. I had a friend and access to a lift. I did not keep track of time but I think it took well under an hour to do the whole project. Everything bolts on exactly as it's supposed to. Even if you are not mechanically inclined you can do this. Don't let installation scare you away. Actually, installing an intake is more involved work than this.

Drop the car and take a look. The only thing visible are the polished tips which are ever so slightly larger than the stock ones. The subtle engraved Borla logo is the only thing that gives away that this is an aftermarket product. Unlike many other exhausts, this truley looks like it belongs on the car. It gives you a nice sleeper look with no BS anywhere in site. Hey, the ugly black plastic inside the stock tips is gone! The only issue I have is that the left side is slightly off center which appears to be due to the factory rubber hanger and not the exhaust itself. Nobody's gonna notice unless I point it out to them but I'll have the dealer throw on a new rubber hanger when I go for inspection in the spring.

It's worth noting that Borla states that this exhaust is for the 2003-04 Tiburons. It bolted directly to my 2005 with no problems and would presumably do the same for the 2006, however since they state that it's only for 2003-4 I wouldn't expect them to honor their million mile warrenty on a 2005 or 2006 car. 2007 people might be screwed.

Sound

Fire up the engine and you're greeted by your new, deeper idle. The exhaust purs softly with the occasional rumble. You won't find any rice here. Let's go for a ride!

(Keep in mind that this is with an automatic and an SRI already installed.)

The soft idle comes alive as you step on the gas. Let's get the negative out of the way first: exhaust drone on the interior is absolutely brutal, especially the first time you experience it. This is really noticable when you are lightly on the gas at about 1500-3000 RPM. Unfortunately, if you travel in traffic or do a lot of stop and go driving through areas with low speed limits, you are going to be hearing a lot of drone. I look at the positives: the exhaust drone drowns out all of the other rattles our cars are known for. It's loud but not loud enough do drown out my factory audio system and I can still hear the hiss of my SRI. You get used to it. After a couple days I think it's beginning to soften as the exhaust is broken in.

The drone has been a non factor for on the highway, only during light, slow driving. I also know some NT members like Mr. Photoman have devised their own ways to get rid of the drone with either soundproofing material or modifying the exhaust in some way.

Once the revs hit about 3000K and you get moving the Borla really starts singing. The drone is gone and replaced by a much quieter but very sinister growl which would sound more at home comming out of a Mustang than a Hyundai. It's a very nice tone that one wouldn't expect from an import.

Let off the gas and you'll get a quiet rumble as the revs drop and then the Borla is as silent as your stock exhaust until you step on it again. For the most part, the system is loud when you want it to be and quiet when you don't want it to be.

Performance

I have no dyno numbers and I'm not even sure what gains Borla claims this exhaust gives you. My non-scientific opinion is that the car feels much more free and alive now that the restrictive stock system is gone. There seems to be noticably more power throuout the entire powerband but especially from 3000 RPMs and higher I notice a lot more torque. I don't know if a dyno would support this but I'd say there are small gains to be had everywhere. I have no complaints on the performance side. It does what a bolt on exhaust is expected to do.

Misc

Borla claims that their exhausts increase fuel economy. I certainly don't see an increase in fuel economy, nor did I expect to. I seem to be using more fuel than I did before but it's probably because my lead foot is excited and loves to hear that sweet tone in the high RPMS more than it did before.

As expected, it does stink for the first couple of days as the chemicals used in manufacturing burn off and the system breaks in. The sound should also begin to soften a little.

Overall

Positives:
Easy installation
Clean, stock look
Loud when you want it, quiet when you don't.
Nice power gains, especially in the high RPMs.
No rice. No BS.

Negatives:
Horrible interior drone in specific situations.
Look to other brands if you want to impress judges.

It's a very satisfying exhaust overall. People will know you have something going on without huge tips screaming "look at me!" The Borla name is respected by car guys and girls everywhere. It looks good, sounds good and feels good. If you can live with the drone, go get yourself one while they're still available.

Feel free to add your own reviews, opinions, experiences, photos, ect. I hope this review helps out anyone that was on the fence as to which exhaust they want.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I tottally agree...cause I also own the borla have had mine for nearly 2 1/2 years now:) and love it to death...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Having had the borla for almost a year now, I can say it is amazing. As far as the performance the exhaust doesn't make a huge difference, you can feel it but a lot of that is just what you percieve from the new sound. The sound is great and I really dont mind the drone at all. The stock look is a great added feature as well.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Any Borla exhaust sound clips or vids out there?

·
Registered
530 Posts
THere are some in the definitive exhaust thread. Try searching on youtube or streetfire for tiburon with borla.
Found some and love the sound. If possible I'd want even deeper. Borla is definitely the closest sounding so far to what I am looking for. I've heard SSA, Injen, Borla, and Ark. Any more out there?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I just put a Borla exhaust on my 2005 I4 Tib. It was easy to adapt it for the I4. I welded two ears on the factory flange to match up with the Borla fittings. Everything else fit perfectly. I have the Alpine SC and you hear a big difference when the boost comes up. Seems to run stronger with the Borla too.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I know this post is old but I wanted to say because of this great, exhaustive review, I am considering nothing but a Borla which I hope to have order sometime this Spring or Summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This was a great review for the exhaust and im excited to know that the borla exhaust for my v6 04 tibby is showing up tonight and getting installed this Saturday, if I can remember ill be happy to upload some sound clips for you guys

·
Registered
951 Posts
This is an ancient thread haha. Anyway congrats SlowTib I'm sure it's going to be lots of fun. Shame about the done though, hopefully you can modify it out.

Expect more drone during the early stages of the exhaust. In time, it will gradually improve to a point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts