Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
141 - 160 of 190 Posts
Re: DIY: Brake Pad/Rotor

Drill it out, or pray you're lucky and use a ratchet with a Phillips head socket.

Drill it out, or pray you're lucky and use a ratchet with a Phillips head socket.
in connecticut? forget about it~~~~~~~~~~ that will be corroded shut with discharge like lindsey lohan's vagina after 3 days of inactivity~~

in connecticut? forget about it~~~~~~~~~~ that will be corroded shut with discharge like lindsey lohan's vagina after 3 days of inactivity~~
I managed to get one of mine out with that method! The other I wasn't so lucky and I had to drill it. :( But it was understandable, even one of the sliders for that caliper was seized...

how long does this take approximately for someone who has never done it before? considering doing it myself if I can save a bunch of money than paying to get it done.

Assuming you have done other brake jobs... have the tools... about 1 - 2 hours.

Now if you never done this, have a lot of rust build up... then it will take longer. The rear piston is probably the most tricky part, but its fairly simple.

I've never done this and have rust build up lol, so it'll probably take me about a day? according to the DIY I need a brake piston compression kit.. so i need to rent one of those from a auto shop?

With rust... and first time... eh 4 hours? And a 6 pack to help get through the frustration :) But once you learn how to do it, its really not to bad.

Brake piston compression kit is cheap, might make the investment. Around $10-20. The rear piston need another tool... its like a square box looking thing. The pistons need to be turned and pressed at the same time for the REAR.

Impact screw driver would help also to get the placement screws out.

Once the caliper and placement screws are out... bang it around the edges with an rubber mallet and the rotors will come off.

Its really not that hard lol.... just a few things to watch out for.

Dont take the brake hoses off the calipers or you will need to bleed them....

Good luck!

With rust... and first time... eh 4 hours? And a 6 pack to help get through the frustration :) But once you learn how to do it, its really not to bad.

Brake piston compression kit is cheap, might make the investment. Around $10-20. The rear piston need another tool... its like a square box looking thing. The pistons need to be turned and pressed at the same time for the REAR.

Once the caliper and placement screws are out... bang it around the edges with an rubber mallet and the rotors will come off.

Good luck!
Thanks.. I sent you a PM about ordering rotors/pads from you to Canada

It took me around six hours because both rotors were stuck as hell. Other than the rotors it was a simple brake job. One that I will never do again. I will buy the parts, but six hours of my time is worth at least $300 (to me), and labor to do the brakes was only going to be about $100.

It took me around six hours because both rotors were stuck as hell. Other than the rotors it was a simple brake job. One that I will never do again. I will buy the parts, but six hours of my time is worth at least $300 (to me), and labor to do the brakes was only going to be about $100.
That is also how I see it which is why I'm probably going to just pay the labour to ensure it was done right and to have it done quickly. $100 of labour is really cheap though.. it only would have taken them an hour for all 4 brakes?

wow really nice write up props :)

Good luck!
This is an important post as it describes how you have to press the rear piston in at the same time as turning. It turns clockwise clockwise to move it back so the new pads will clear the rotor.
It took me a while to figure this out. I knew it had to be turned but I was not applying enough inward pressure at the same time and the thing just turned in place.:3_nooo:
You have to apply a substantial amount of inward force while turning the piston in order to have it move inward!!
Other than that, not too bad a job.

This is an important post as it describes how you have to press the rear piston in at the same time as turning. It turns clockwise clockwise to move it back so the new pads will clear the rotor.
It took me a while to figure this out. I knew it had to be turned but I was not applying enough inward pressure at the same time and the thing just turned in place.:3_nooo:
You have to apply a substantial amount of inward force while turning the piston in order to have it move inward!!
Other than that, not too bad a job.

I Can't edit or delete this or the last post ...? Sorry.

I need a little help. I have done everything in this DIY, but I have run into the reason I am having to change my breaks now.

Little background here... My passenger side break pad and rotor have been getting the crap ground out of them producing the grinding and screeching noise or a "I need new break pads." I just now got the money to do my breaks today and it is quite easy I have come to find out, but there is a problem on the rear passenger side. I cannot get the bracket back on behind the rotor because it is sitting out about 1/4" from what it bolts to and I realized the place the rotor sits on is slanted mildly about 1/16" towards the inside top of the wheel well. Is there a way to bring that whole assembly in so I can reattach the bracket or what? I am new to working on this car.

My car is a 2006 2.0L automatic.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Sounds like, either your rotors are wrong, or the rotor is not sitting flush on the hubs.

What I did was put the wheels back on and press the rotors back into place. When I was installing the rotors on the studs, it went in at a angle and I could not get it out or press in, hence the reason for me to install the wheels back on.

Sounds like, either your rotors are wrong, or the rotor is not sitting flush on the hubs.

What I did was put the wheels back on and press the rotors back into place. When I was installing the rotors on the studs, it went in at a angle and I could not get it out or press in, hence the reason for me to install the wheels back on.
I ended up tightening two lug nuts on and it set it flush and I got everything back together! I feel super accomplished!

141 - 160 of 190 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.