Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
161 - 180 of 190 Posts
Re: DIY: Brake Pad/Rotor

Great DIY!!! I don't know if it was mentioned or not but I found it helpful with the front calipers to unbolt the brake line from it's bracket so I could more easily swing the front caliper up and out of the way. Thanks again!

So i got my brake pads in and found that the rears have these little black rubber things I'm guessing that replace the old ones but the front pads didnt come with some? Is that normal or weird? Or do they usually not come with break pads...
Those are the bellows for the caliper guide pins. Some kits have them, some don't. If the existing ones are OK looking, use them again.
Nice having new ones though, just in case.

Those are the bellows for the caliper guide pins. Some kits have them, some don't. If the existing ones are OK looking, use them again.
Nice having new ones though, just in case.
Gotcha, i was googling around an found that theres break pad kits that have them at like regular parts stores, so im gonna go to checkers an see if i can get a few for the front easly. If not ill just reuse the stock ones, there not cracked or torn up so should be good like you said.

Just did my brakes, fairly easy but had 1 issue. Figured id mention it here. I went with Posi Quiet ceramic pads and the fronts did not fit. I ordered them online from R1 concepts and when trying to put them in, they were a decent size bigger? definetly wouldnt work, despite me calling an them confirming they were the right part # an everything. WEIRD

Checked on there site an theres two options for them
2.7 liter exc 6 speed
2.7 liter 6 speed
^ i dont know the difference or what exc means, but i orded the second one i listed and wasnt for my 04 GT 6 speed :/
So i ended up running to the store an going with Break Best Select Ceramic in the fronts and im gonna return the Posi Quiet Front pads.

If anyone knows anything about that or wants posi quiets MAKE SURE ITS THE RIGHT ONE depending on what exc means...?

So I replaced my rotors and now I can't compress my calipers (all I have availible is pilars) but it fits over the pads but it constantly kinda squeezes the breaks on both sides. Should I bleed them or go get a tool to compress them or what's my problem here

So I replaced my rotors and now I can't compress my calipers (all I have availible is pilars) but it fits over the pads but it constantly kinda squeezes the breaks on both sides. Should I bleed them or go get a tool to compress them or what's my problem here
Pliers aren't going to do it you need a c-clamp for the front and a special piston compressor that turns while applying pressure, found at just about every parts store. Rental is free-cheap depending where you go.

I think I miss read this the first time. Your calipers are on the new rotors already? You haven't disconnected any break lines? Then your good to go.

Is the brake caliper bolted up correctly?
Do you have the wheel installed, or, a couple of lugnuts holding the rotor square when you're checking this "squeezing"?

Did you compress the piston all the way into the caliper?
Do the pads have a little "play" in the pad mount, or were they tight going in? They SHOULD have a little play.

Yeah your going to warp or crack your rotors!

Every Subaru front disc brake job I've done has required a "bit of fitting" to get the pads correct. All were "name brand aftermarket replacement" pads.

You may have found a brand that is a bit snug to install.

if its smoking thats very strange. i've heard that racing brakes can actually catch fire.

idk, its usually a pretty tight fit if you as me, and once you pump the pedal a few times the pad is virtually touching the disc, like you probably couldn't slide a piece of paper between them.

if you ask me, its pretty hard to get i the caliper/brake system back together without having everything in there correctly, but maybe you did get a brand that happens to be a bit thicker then it should.

what kind of pads are they? theoretically the rotor could be too thick as well

161 - 180 of 190 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.