Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my rotors this past weekend and the passenger side rear hub wasn't cooperating. I used a gear puller to take it off and part of it stayed on the car...you could see the bearings.

Well I tried to get the rest off but had no luck, so I attached the other part to the rotor and put it all back together. I'm wondering how long I can ride around with it like that? It makes a noise when I'm driving sounds like metal rubbing. BTW, I put extra grease on the bearings just in case (not sure if that helped).

I'm hunting a new one down but don't want to go to the dealership cause of the $$$. I'm hoping I will have it installed w/in 7-10 days...is that too long? Any precautions I should take?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump...

Someone has to know the answer to this. I know it hasn't been a while but I'm anxious so help a mo fo out.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
get it changed ASAP, im a tech for hyundai, metal on metal = bad for your car when rotating parts are involved.
pay the money and have the work done right OR buy the whole peice and have installed properly.
Chase
hopefully you can get this solved quickly.
try hitting it AROUND the hub in the star pattern with a hammer between the lugs and hope it will come off, its a car thats been on the ocean side and as common the whole serface area behind the hub can rust together and youll never get it off.
ive seen it

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, that's not good news. I went ahead and ordered a new one and w/ second day shipping it came to a little over $100 (better than the $180 the dealership wanted). I'm gonna make an appointment for early next week to get it fixed.

Thanks for the info Chase!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
damn man you should have put that money towards some drilled or slotted rotors from Uneek, I don't think it would have been too much more for just the rears...anyways good luck getting it fixed quickly! mine was a major PIA getting the rear rotors off and it took a crap load of pounding to get them off.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, I was installing Uneek's rotors when the hub broke...

I needed my stockers resurfaced as well as new pads, so I paid the extra $100 to get the drilled/slotted ones and the posiquiet pads. Although now I'm spending another $170 to fix the hub :3_frown:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I couldn't for the life of me get the rotor off of the car. I tried several things and eventually used a gear puller. When the rotor finally popped off it brought part of the hub with it. I couldn't get what was left on the car off so I just pushed the two pieces together as good as I could, put the rotor back on and assembled everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts