Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Tiburon (not GT) stick
I'm new to the forums because I'm thinking of purchasing this car and I need some advice from everyone I'm mostly a Mercedes BMW guy but I'm purchasing this from my son. I was a mechanic back in the day so I do know how to fix and repair my own vehicles. The only problem I have with this car is that it's a stick my understanding is doing a clutch job on this is a slight nightmare because of the transverse engine.
The other thing is I'm trying to figure out this clutch the gentleman selling me the car says that it was replaced about a year ago the problem I have with this is the clutch does not engage until the very last release point so pretty much when the clutch pedal is almost all the way back it finally releases into gear is this an one clutch or a new clutch scenario. FY I I did do the third gear test where I gave it a little gas and released in 3rd gear and it did go there was no clutch smell so that's slightly encouraging but I'm just very concerned about how late the clutch pedal releases until it actually goes into gear

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey, I’ve done two clutches on the v6 and your pretty much have to pull the engine, on the 4cyl I’m not sure but I could have it done in around 6 hours if I have all the tools and parts... so it’s not crazy bad... as for it engaging late I’m not sure could be the way they are? You’d have to wait for someone that knows.. but I’m sure a clutch job isn’t bad...
And for the clutch dumping thing, it could be good today but might go bad in a month or two, I had my car at a drag strip with no slip and two weeks later it started slipping...

A way to check is look at the slave cylinder on the transmission and there should be a bracket that pivots and goes into the tranny, the bracket has a stopper that will get close to the tranny when the clutch disk starts going down, if it’s close to a mm away it’s going bad if it’s pretty far like more then 3 it’s pretty good... this is for a v6 so not sure if it’s the same on the i4, also it only works on a stock clutch for some reason, the aftermarket ones with aftermarket flywheels sit closer I guess so it’s closer all the time

hope any of this helps, also parts are really cheap and you can get tons of parts off of older Hyundai’s... just make sure your not paying a lot for the car, can find them really cheap

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is the pedal mushy and you have to push the clutch to the floor to engage? Mine was and I adjusted the clutch pedal, replaced my master and slave cylinders, bled it, and it drives great now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts