Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a '05 tib in excellent condition, 6 speed, 16k miles for 11,900, and I may possibly be able to deal.

However... unknown to me, when I went for a test drive, the owner (it's a used lot and the vehicle was purchased at auction) pulled a shroud in the back and showed of a NOS bottle. It's a new aquisition and he knows nothing of the vehicles history.

While everything points to the car being a good value... the existance of a large NOS bottle is a little intimidating. I would not care to keep the system installed. It is simple setup, going into the intake manifold, and only making a penetration in the firewall.

I do not know the magnitude or frquency in which the NOS was used. Are there any tests that could show any failures. I'm in a nuclear engineering field... I mean, we use radiography to determine wall thicknesses. Is there anything that would help determine any engine damage that may have been done.. if any.

I'm prefer pull it out to not run the risk of losing what warranty remains... and I'm not interested in NOS. I have now, and have had turbos installed on cars, but NOS holds no interest, plus I live on a military base and, well... NOS is a no go...

Thanks in advance... and to those who love NOS... sorry, but it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Do a compression check on ALL 6 CYLINDERS that will tell you if its hurt. If you cant do that dont buy it period...

Thats how I would do it anyway... Good luck...

·
Registered
200 Posts
depends what kind of deal youre getting. you can get a compression check on it to see if the rings are fine. I think you should be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An excellent idea. I'd thought of that.

If I'm not mistaken... the major problem is running lean, detonating, the pressure in your engine going through the roof... killing off your rings, blowing your head gasket, etc.

Still, are there any specific components that can/should be checked, shork of pulliing the top of the engine apart? I am unfamiliar with NOS... only w/racing a few people with it, riding in a 2nd gen Eclipse GST w/a setup in it.... and hearing the praises and the horror stories...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Check the jetting... Might take a few mins but then you will know what he was running.. Hopefully it was less then 75, and thats kinda pushing it for not knowing the frequeny of use.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i wouldnt buy it... if there is NOS more than likely the car was beaten and abused.. i could be wrong and it could have been taken care of, well maintained and only used a 50 shot on track nights but when it comes to thousands of dollars of an investment i wouldnt want to assume. Unless you can get a trusted mechanic to inspect and say "no problems at all" then i wouldnt buy it

·
Registered
639 Posts
05Tib said:
i wouldnt buy it... if there is NOS more than likely the car was beaten and abused.. i could be wrong and it could have been taken care of, well maintained and only used a 50 shot on track nights but when it comes to thousands of dollars of an investment i wouldnt want to assume. Unless you can get a trusted mechanic to inspect and say "no problems at all" then i wouldnt buy it
:m_werd: yup thats it

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
its nitrous...NOS is a brand of nitrous oxide, and its not all bad. if the system was installed correctly, u wont hae any issues. a 75 shot is also fine, and nothing to worry about. pulling the jet out will do nothing unless u have the instructions for the kit. with my NOS nitrous setup the jets have a small code inprinted on the side, and u refer to the chart which then shows that it is the 'X' shot jet.

if u r that worried about it, bring it into a shop that knows nitrous oxide. bringing it to a garage that doesnt deal in performance parts, ur only going to get the old resposne that the car was abused, or some 'punk kid' trying to be like on the movies. have a speed shop in ur area look at the install, check for leaks in the system...proper wiring...etc. then bring it into a garage and have a compression test done, and pull the plugs to see if the owner changed out the oem plugs and went 1...2 degrees colder. i dont know why so many ppl r afraid of nitrous. when its done properly, it just as, or more reliable then a turbo or sc setup.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have nitrous express hooked up on my car, but have never even filled the tank...its just for car shows....so it could be the same with that car

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
its not that nitrous scares me and i do understand how to safely set up and use it but what scares me is did the person before know to do all that? Did they do some crap set up and ran way more than the tib safely handles, say 75+ shots frequently. When it comes down to making an investment of $11,900 you dont want to assume and then 2 months later be replacing your trans or motor due to someone not taking care of the car and you assuming they did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the posts guys.
I've got 3 other cars to look at in the area this weekend. Just wanted some thoughts from NOS guys and any steps to determine if the car is viable.

My Z's have always had turbos but never nitrous oxide... and I can't fathom a time when anyone would just it for any application other than racing myself.

I'm not sure of the street legality of it... but I'm 99% sure, it is illegal to have to have it on a military base (where I work and live). Oxider + Fuel is one step away from bomb I guess in their minds.

·
Registered
898 Posts
nitrous is not street legal. It cannot be hooked up to the lines. If you get caught, your beyond f*cked. Anyway i don't think its a good idea to buy any used forced induction car, unless its stock or was driven by an old man or something like that.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
DarkSouledSRT said:
nitrous is not street legal. It cannot be hooked up to the lines. If you get caught, your beyond f*cked. Anyway i don't think its a good idea to buy any used forced induction car, unless its stock or was driven by an old man or something like that.
I'm pretty sure nitrous is street legal in most states if you have a label outside your car and you stop at all Railroad crossings but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i dont know how it works in your states, but i know the law in michigan is, you can have nitrous in your car but the bottles can not be opened on the street.

also why wouldnt you be allowed to have nitrous in your car on a military base? nitrous isnt explosive nor is it flamable......

·
Pete: The Man
4,366 Posts
I've seen nitrous on military bases. And I also plan on taking my soon-to-have nitrous car onto base as well.

·
Registered
898 Posts
sorensilk said:
I'm pretty sure nitrous is street legal in most states if you have a label outside your car and you stop at all Railroad crossings but don't quote me on that.
Lol was that a fast and the furious joke?

·
Registered
412 Posts
DarkSouledSRT said:
Lol was that a fast and the furious joke?
I dont think he meant it that way, but now that you mention, that sounds pretty funny. (Vin Diesel Voice): On green, Im goin for it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Lol F and F jokes.

I say take the advice of the guys that have already posted here but if you find a similar deal with the other cars then go for those. There are so many what if's Id be weary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Again, thanks for the advice.

And it is a no go for the lower portion of the base. Our SSBNs are equipped w/nukes and any thing that cann'ot be determined to be normal in a car, is no good. EOD will take your car away and take it apart for you

Extra wiring, a switch and a tank won't work on my base... and shouldn't work on any in which vehicle inspections are done. They're done on mine constantly.

For whoever talked about it being alright first... I'd look first. If they don't do vehicle inspections and are that soft of a target... then maybe you can get by, but it'd be at your own risk. I had to go to SRF schools where you go through training on combat, standing guard and blah blah blah that all branches are required to go to now so far as I know. Vehicle inspections were one part. We wouldn't have let a car with nitrous oxide on base... certainly not on lower base. Just check dude... you don't want to throw that kind'a money into your car and lose it. Remember, a military base isn't the regular highway... even if it's street legal everywhere else.

I'm not going to buy the car. The only thought was whether or not there was any means of testing the engine components to determine if any excessive wear or damage had occured w/o taking the thing completely apart.

Y'all can keep up the debate, but I'm already decided. Thanks for all your inputs!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts