Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to purchase one or the other on my virtually stock Tibby within the next couple weeks. I would get more gain from a CAI than an SRI, correct? Please help me out here in deciding by letting me know of cons and pros for each. Thanks. :)

(If it makes a difference, I also plan to buy an exhaust and within a few months headers.)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Now I didnt think I would say this but try using the search button up top. It works wonders and gives you alot of info.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
CAI gives you a little bit more HP than SRI, not by much though...do a search to get more info

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Yes searching is good.

But quickly: CAIs are known more for top end (ie: high RPM) power and SRIs tend to give more low-end (ie: throttle response).

Personally after looking at both and reading all the posts I could find about both types and the rare (but real) possibility of hydrolocking, I decided to go with Injen's SRI. It's the only "SRI" that I know of that actually uses piping to get the filter to a better location.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If you are in an area that is prone to get alot of watre than please do yourself a favor and get an Injen SRI.

Like peachferrari said: CAIs are known more for top end (ie: high RPM) power and SRIs tend to give more low-end (ie: throttle response).

but also CAI's run the higher risk of hydro-locking which is not good.

Also if you do get a SRI get an Injen b/c the AEM is essentially just a fliter, no pipe.

I love mine and so does the seat-of-the-pants meter too

Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I did more searching around and have looked at both. I think I'm going to get the AEM CAI along with AEM's Air Bypass Valve to prevent hydrolocking. I live in Texas, so we don't get a lot of water here anyway, but just to be on the safe side--$55 to prevent that mess.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I read that sri has better throttle response, but how drastic is the difference really?

Im looking at the dyno graphs(injen) of both, and I prefer the cai powerband... but I LOVE a good throttle response.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I understand, the SRI seems to have better "throttle response" only because it increases power in the low to mid band vs. the CAI's increase in the high powerband. You would need a new TB to truly get better throttle response, right?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would go with an Injen SRI. Compared to all other SRIs its a little longer and placed in a better position to stay away from the heat of the motor. AEM SRI is right behind the battery.

SRI will benefit you because if you havent noticed, our tibbys lag a little bit up until about 4000rpm.
More power in the low and mid rpm range would help that out a bit. :3_winkthu

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Tuscani911 said:
I would go with an Injen SRI. Compared to all other SRIs its a little longer and placed in a better position to stay away from the heat of the motor. AEM SRI is right behind the battery.

SRI will benefit you because if you havent noticed, our tibbys lag a little bit up until about 4000rpm.
More power in the low and mid rpm range would help that out a bit. :3_winkthu

just my 2 cents

/\/\/\/\Agreed/\/\/\/\/\

·
Registered
571 Posts
Tuscani911 said:
I would go with an Injen SRI. Compared to all other SRIs its a little longer and placed in a better position to stay away from the heat of the motor.
Does anyone have a pic of this installed? I'm also interested in getting one, but would like to see how it looks. All I can find on the web is "this picture is a representation of the product, the actual product may look different" on all the dealer sites for injen.

Yes, I've searched here, but it is difficult going through hundreds of threads, sometimes with 7 or 8 pages of posts each, to see if there is a pic, and if there is, to see if it hasn't turned into a little red x yet.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Here's one pic of mine (sorry about the shadow, but I think you get the idea):

Also be aware that to install a bypass valve on a CAI you need to cut the pipe where you want to put it. It doesn't just attach like you might think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
cooler air, better power gain. AEM CAI all the way. Don't drive like a moron in a downpour and don't drive it into a water filled ditch, and you will be good!

·
Registered
571 Posts
peachferrari said:
Here's one pic of mine (sorry about the shadow, but I think you get the idea):
Awesome... thanks! That's what I was looking for.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I also have a question. in installing a injen SRI, what all is neede to be removed or relocated to get it on there?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
speedy said:
I also have a question. in installing a injen SRI, what all is neede to be removed or relocated to get it on there?
When I did mine I removed the battery, and everything for the stock intake (tubes, filter box etc). The directions tell you to unbolt the fuse box, but you don't really need to. It's good to have the battery out of the way to get the filter in there where it needs to be. It also comes with a new bracket to move the horn a little farther from the filter, though I don't know if it's really necessary (I did it)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone with an AEM CAI, what'd you have to move for the installation? (Not temporarily to get it in, but anything have to be permanently relocated?)

·
Registered
543 Posts
The thing with hydrolocking is really only an issue if you live in a flood-prone area. Rain isn't the main concern. It's more driving through puddles and deep water that causes a problem. Living in Texas, I can give you a 99% guarentee that you will be just fine with a CAI. So, as long as you don't try to see if your shark can swim, you'll have no problems. We get quite a bit of rain where I live, and although I don't have a CAI on my Tib (yet), most of my friends have them on their cars, and I've had one in the past. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with water.

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
mr0ldie said:
Well, I did more searching around and have looked at both. I think I'm going to get the AEM CAI along with AEM's Air Bypass Valve to prevent hydrolocking. I live in Texas, so we don't get a lot of water here anyway, but just to be on the safe side--$55 to prevent that mess.

search my name.... seach for posts with BPV..... look at the physics of why the BPV is completely and utterly worthless and actually HURTS your gains

also. search for this w/ the spelling error as a thread title "difinitive cai"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts