Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here's the deal. I have already painted my calipers once about a year ago. I painted them yellow and i am kind of sick of the whole yellow thing. I did it then to be differen't, but now i want to go to red because it looks much better IMO. My question is, do i need to take the yellow off first or can i just paint over it? If i do need to take it off how do i get it off? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
785 Posts
i just did this the other day. U can use paint or laquer thinner to get it off but i just cleaned it and painted over them and it looks awesome. But make sure u use caliper paint

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Use caliper cleaner and take off as much as what comes off, not all will. Then paint red over them.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i am probably just going to use the cleaner that comes in the $20 autozone kit, that should work right? That is the same kit i used before and it has lasted a long time. Well worth the $20 lol. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i didn't prime them before and they seemed to have lasted a long time. A couple tiny chips here and there, but nothing serious. Thanks though for the advice.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Ya you really shouldnt have to prime it just paint 2 thin coats and 2 thick or around about and it will last forever.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya you really shouldnt have to prime it just paint 2 thin coats and 2 thick or around about and it will last forever.
yea that's all i did last time and it worked well i have had it for about a year just wanna switch colors. How you liking the tails?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, the caliper cleaner wouldn't take it off at all. So i am gonna scuff it up with sand paper and just paint over it. Should turn out fine i am hoping.

·
Registered
792 Posts
iv got red calipers on my fronts and i want to change them to blue...if i just paint over them will the red show through?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
with a darker color i am not sure, mine were yellow to begin with. What i did is sanded them with 80g sandpaper i had laying around to cut up the paint just to scuff it. Then i did a couple thick coats of the red and i thought maybe it would lighten up the red, but it turned out great i just hope it sticks lol. I have only done the front's because it got dark. Tomorrow i should have them all done and will post up some pic's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts