Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is fairly simple, I just got my amp and subs, kenwood 9102d I think it is and 2 10in Alpine Type Rs, The amp is a mono block amp but what threw me off was that it had 2 sets of speaker outputs which I'm assuming are for left and right but I'm wanting to run my subs at 2ohms which wouls basicaly only need one output so how do I send an output from the amp to fully utilize all the power its capable of puttin out

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just connect the + to the left channel +, and the - to the right channel -! Now you also have to wire up the speakers right to make sure you put a 2 ohm load into them. It is easier to draw it out on paper, so check out this site for some extra help if needed. There is a way to get the OHM load to 2, just have to get creative with the wiring. L8R

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kartunez said:
Just connect the + to the left channel +, and the - to the right channel -! Now you also have to wire up the speakers right to make sure you put a 2 ohm load into them. It is easier to draw it out on paper, so check out this site for some extra help if needed. There is a way to get the OHM load to 2, just have to get creative with the wiring. L8R
Yeah the subs themselves came with a diagram showing how to wire it up to the different Ohm loads, basically what the diagram showed is to run positive and negative from the amp into one sub and than from that one run positive to positive and negative to negative to the second sub. So if the outputs on the amp go ++-- just use the corner two outputs right? Thats what I had initially thought and how its hooked up right now I just wanted to make sure. Like this, just did a quick paint diagram

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The Type R's are DVC's, right, so your going to have to hook up both coils, to get full potential. I looked at the Type-R manual, and you have to use jumper wires to connect the coils. So you need to jump the + to the + and - to the - on each sub, and then connect the + from the amp to left sub, and the - to the right, and then put a jumper between the subs, - from the left one to the + right. Connect the wires to the amp like you showed, and I think you will be at 2 ohm, maybe wrong, but I think its right. L8R

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Scratch the above, do what the bottom diagram says to do, that should work best. Wasn't even paying attention that your amp had two outputs. L8R

·
Registered
294 Posts
hey Z if you need help bro let me know and ill me you somewhere like davids to help you hook it up cuz thats how i wired mine.....

·
Registered
673 Posts
that amp has 2 pos and 2 negs...it is the same send! If you attempt to bridge that amp it will destroy it. i run 2 of the 9152D amps which are set up the same. To make your two subs run at 2 ohms you hook your subs up like it is stereo. this is the same as hooking them up in parallel. this makes 2 4ohm coils down to a 2 ohm load. if you get too lost this site has one of the best illustration sets out there.
http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok now i'm really confused LOL. The speakers each have 2 4ohm voice coils, and I am wanting to run a 2 ohm load. Cycon you think you can post up a diagram showing me how I should wire my speakers, I tried looking through that website but it confused the crap out of me. I would really appreciate it if you can help me out.

Also, I was just trying to hook the subs up today, I had them going fine wired up like the diagram I posted before a few days ago, but while the subs were going the power wire came out of the gold connector and the amp shut down. After that I have not been able to get any sound out of the amp. After the first time the amp shut down I disconnected everything for a few days and tried it again today and still i'm not getting any sound. The amp is coming on fine the power light is constant and it comes on and off fine with the head unit. Any one have any insights? Did I mess up the amp? Or did the amp just go into protection mode? And if so how do I get it out.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
they are dvc pretty simple connect the voice coil together on each sub that will drop ur dual 4 ohm sub down to a 2 ohm load run each sub to its own channle. the amp isnt 1 ohm stable so u cant combine all voice coils. so just take 2 short peiace of wire and on the same sub connect the red to red black to black and then 2 longer piece of wire going from one of the voice coils (doesnt matter which) to ur amp. but i just looked the amp up i think its a mono block not a 2 channle but i could be wrong if its a mono block doing what i said is gonna bridge it to 1 ohm not 2

·
Registered
673 Posts

this should get your subs to a 2 ohm load...I know some one will gripe about this way, but i have used it in the field more than once and with no issues

the amp is ok down to 1.2 ohms, but you wont find it in any documentations...that is coming from kenwood. lemme know if this helps out.

If you need more direct help PM me and i will get you my nubmber and i can walk you through some stuff.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I install those Alpines on a daily basis. For doing a parallel connection to a DVC you use a small piece of wire going from a positive to a negative on opposite voice coils and then use the positive that's left and the negative that's left to connect to the channel on the amp. I haven't checked into that amp but if it's a mono block just bridge it to get the max power from the amp.

Not getting sound? Check all connections... especially ground... the ground is probably one of the most important.
Later,
D

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
cycon82 said:

this should get your subs to a 2 ohm load...I know some one will gripe about this way, but i have used it in the field more than once and with no issues

the amp is ok down to 1.2 ohms, but you wont find it in any documentations...that is coming from kenwood. lemme know if this helps out.

If you need more direct help PM me and i will get you my nubmber and i can walk you through some stuff.
Hey man just one more question, is there a reason why you have the right sub wired differently than the left sub? I currently have both subs wired up the same way as your diagram has the right sub wired. I'm really just wondering for educational purposes, i'll still wire them up the way ur diagram has it.

EDIT******

I was just taking a look at the wiring diagram that came with the sub and according to what it shows, the way your diagram is written up, the left sub is wired up for a 2ohm load, and the 2nd is wired up for a 4ohm load, is that correct?

·
Registered
673 Posts
ohyaa69 said:
Hey man just one more question, is there a reason why you have the right sub wired differently than the left sub? I currently have both subs wired up the same way as your diagram has the right sub wired. I'm really just wondering for educational purposes, i'll still wire them up the way ur diagram has it.

EDIT******

I was just taking a look at the wiring diagram that came with the sub and according to what it shows, the way your diagram is written up, the left sub is wired up for a 1ohm load, and the 2nd is wired up for a 2ohm load, is that correct?
the speaker on the left is set up to drop a 2 ohm load - 2 4 ohm coils ran in parallel = 2 ohms

the speaker on the right is set up to drop a 8 ohm load - 2 4 ohm coils ran in series = 8 ohms

when you run these two setups together in parallel (neg to neg/ pos to pos) you should get close to a 2 ohm load (in the real world it is actualy 1.6ohm)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
dandantiburonman said:
For doing a parallel connection to a DVC you use a small piece of wire going from a positive to a negative on opposite voice coils and then use the positive that's left and the negative that's left to connect to the channel on the amp.
Actually that is wrong, what you described is running them in series. To run in parallel, you connect the positive of one coil to the other positive, and the same for the negative, and then connect the positive from the amp to one of the positives on the sub and the same for the negative. So you will need to small pieces of wire for them subs. Just clearing that up! Also, if you Kenwood is internally bridges like the JL Audio amps, you should be able to connect a 4 OHM load to it and it will put out power like it is a 2 OHM load. So put both subs in series and then connect the + and - to one sub and then jump off that sub to connect the + and - to the other, that will give you a 4 OHM load. L8R

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah i figured out last night that the wiring manual I was looking at for the Type R's were for teh 2ohm ones not the 4ohm ones. So I was using a 4ohm load, and them suckers with the amp turned all the way down still banged like hell. Man I can't wait to get this wired up right to really see what these puppies can do. KarTunez my goal is to get it to sound insane like your w7's LOL. Cycone thanks alot for your help man, I really appreciate it, and i'll definateyl have them wired up the way your diagram has it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
there is a small car show and SPL competion coming up on Dec. 17th if you guys wanna try your setups out on a meter. It is not too far away from Sugar Land. It is at Jacks Stereo in Bryan Tx.

I would love to see more tibs at these shows!

Hell ohyaa... if you show up I will take care of a SPL runn so you can see what kind of numbers your setup does!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It is in Bryan, not is like 3 hours or so for me, man that is tempting, I have been wanting mine metered for a long time. What are all the details for the show, and how much do they want to test your SPL, not really looking to compete yet, not enough done!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts