Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

cams without stg.4?

8K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  Henry-K 
#1 ·
wondering if it's a bad idea to run reground cams with stock intake manifolds? probably P&P will help, but is stg. 4 IM just considered as a "required" part to install with cams?

wondering if anyone knows from experience... I can guess that it is required/recommended because the manifold needs to move even more air for the cams, but would the stock IM still allow the cams to be effective and worthwhile?

#2 ·
i think people have done cams without the stg4 before. if u want a stage 4 let me know...

#4 ·
i am, selling most all my stuff, except headers. Make sure the IM doesnt go against the rules of your class in AutoX

#6 ·
Cams don't really need any other mods. But if you have a high degree cam its better to have a higher flowing head/IM, just like you don't need headers/exhaust to get an intake :D
Where do you guys get cams for these cars? I wanna know whats available.
And what are the specs of the current cams?

#14 ·
Crane makes cams also for the Tib , I've got 370 lift with a 116 lobe sep

#15 ·
But ya really need to run adjustable cam gears with this kind of cam to split the duration

#16 ·
No you don't. The cams I have incorporate a separation change into the regrind. No cam sprocket needed. EDIT: I see you meant duration, not separation/overlap. I still found cam gears to be more of a shiny appearance item. Mine has shown minimal results.

#17 ·
Yeah<head smack>ya know.........I really need to look at what I type before I just go sendin it out there:3_usehead .But the gears were just to insure that I dont start setting missfire codes from the lopiness, and yeah are'nt they all shiney and Shyte:3_chubby:

#19 ·
I beleive the grinds malogus has would be your best bet unless ya wanna do the mods I've done......I had NGM do alot of custom headwork on my motor because of the amount of nitrous and stuff that I'm running. Malogus has a car that is by N/A standards very freekin fast and very dependable everyday daily driver, where as mine I suspect is going to be somewhat of a gas hog when all is said and done, I'm not sure yet , as I'm not done putting it together yet. But , I'm gettin closer :)

#21 ·
I'm so sorry to bring up a three year old thread...But If i get P&P'd IM's, heads, DC sport headers, Borla exhaust, and Injen intake, all that would cost me 2-4k right? And If i get my cams reground by crower, that's another 550-600. buy cam gears and retard them 4 degrees and buy an AEM F/IC to adjust the AFR, would I touch 210whp with correct tuning? This is my DD. I drive 50 miles a day for school. But the cams shouldn't have an adverse effect on the engine correct? All these mods, done correctly, should yield better mileage and more power correct? I should be able to run mid to high 14s? My car is an 08GT Auto..I have the bankroll to fix up the car in case it damages something but I just want to know that nothing would break down in the future. I have 8k miles on the car right now, I need 80k miles before I do a manual trans/ engine swap and boost it. I just need it to survive 72k miles with the mods I plan on using.

#22 · (Edited)
shoulda started a new thread...

but ill be nice and answer your question... the I/H/E setup should only cost you a little over 1k, and then however much your P&P job is, and the FIC, and cam gears($140) and regrind. you can easily get that price well below 4K. and with a good tune it can be just as reliable as stock. but honestly, i dont think you will be seeing 210whp with just that, but you might see 200 with a great tune.

go look at Deshark and magolus' (if you can find it) old threads and see what kind of work it took for them to reach the 210whp threshold.

#24 · (Edited)
naw. it can be just as reliable as stock with the right tune,
and if you're serious about doing this and you want to keep it when you go FI in the future, you might want to look into getting a valve job as well w/ some stiffer valve springs.

oh yeah and one more thing.. if your saying it has to last another 70k miles cuz you want to keep your warranty till then i have to warn you that your looking at voiding your warranty if you want to do these mods.. just saying..
some dealerships are cool with IHE, and some arent cool.. and i doubt you are going to find a dealership that wont void it with cams. an FIC etc.. good luck with that..

#26 ·
With those mod's kiss the 10/100k goodbye. Anything that alters the internals on the engine auto void the warrenty. I/H/E Only void it if the damage to the engine can be linked to the upgrades.

#28 ·
You'll be fine, I daily drive my tiburon and have put almost 20k miles on my setup already. As for the warranty, it all depends on your dealership and who you know... I still get warranty at my dealership for certain things, and the mechanics there can barely drive my car... usually I have to bring it onto a lift.

#31 ·
200 whp.

Thanks everyone. I'm super excited for running 13s and theres more to come. Stock clutch is definitely struggling and holding us back. I can feel it slipping off the line and slamming second gear. We should be done in like 2 or 3 weeks with amazing results.

Says deshark

Search button used

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.