Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I have a 2008 Tiburon, 4cyl. About a week ago the car wouldn’t start. I thought it was the battery due to the cold weather...it wasn’t that. I checked the fuel pump and it was working fine. So then I checked the spark plugs and I had no sparks. The plugs were fine. So I thought it was a problem with the ignition...I wiggled the wire to the camshaft sensor and the car started. So I tested the connector to the sensor. It gave me 4.9V to the middle wire and the signal wire had 0.28V. I have no codes in the dash. Just wondering if this is probably a wiring problem or a sensor problem. How much voltage should be going to the sensor? Every time I have to wiggle with the sensor to get the car to start. I did a resistance test in the sensor and it gave me 500 and 1400 reading. Not sure what’s going on. Any help is appreciated
Thank you so much

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
425 Posts
Hi Guys. I have a 2008 Tiburon, 4cyl. About a week ago the car wouldn’t start. I thought it was the battery due to the cold weather...it wasn’t that. I checked the fuel pump and it was working fine. So then I checked the spark plugs and I had no sparks. The plugs were fine. So I thought it was a problem with the ignition...I wiggled the wire to the camshaft sensor and the car started. So I tested the connector to the sensor. It gave me 4.9V to the middle wire and the signal wire had 0.28V. I have no codes in the dash. Just wondering if this is probably a wiring problem or a sensor problem. How much voltage should be going to the sensor? Every time I have to wiggle with the sensor to get the car to start. I did a resistance test in the sensor and it gave me 500 and 1400 reading. Not sure what’s going on. Any help is appreciated
Thank you so much
I don't know about the 4cyl, but on the V6 if there is a problem with the crank angle or cam position sensors the ECM will cut ignition. If you have intermittent ignition I would start with replacing both the CAS and CPS with genuine Hyundai sensors. On the V6 our CAS is positioned in such a way that aftermarket headers commonly melt the wiring or destroy this sensor. If you have headers check to ensure none of the wiring or connectors leading to the CAS or CPS is melted or heat damaged and falling apart.

Most of the sensors on our cars range between 0-5v except for the O2 sensors which are 0-1v on 2004 and newer models. Reading 4.9V is normal for the input voltage and 0.28v is likely normal for the low end of the output. You should see the output change rapidly as the engine rotates. Probably too fast with the engine running to read with a hand held volt meter. Try turning your engine over by hand and watch the voltage flip from near 0v to near 5v as cylinder 1 passes top dead center between the compression and power stroke.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts