Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm I hope this isn't a silly question but I really just don't know! I just got a B&M STS and I was showing my one friend who's also into cars and he said to be careful because he blew two trannys by just having one. I find it hard to believe that a STS would blow your tranny unless you were going 80 mph and accidently put it in reverse! But what I wanted to know is if the STS can actually add a small amount of extra wear on you tranny?!? I mean given that you are shifting properly and not doing any real racing??Thanks

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
absolutely not. ur friend is a moron who doesnt know how to drive a manual.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Correct, the only difference between a STS and your stocker is the actual height at which the knob is... by cutting the shifter in half, they reduce the total amount of travel that the shift knob has to move - believe it or not, and STS actually presents less of a destructive force to moving parts in the shifter linkage because it is not capable of producing the same amount of foot pounds of torque as the longer shifter. So, your friend is very much mis-informed

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I mean I'm not oblivious and do have some basic knowledge about automobiles. It's just that he really had blown two motors and I know this because a work with him and if he claims this is the source of his problems it does throw up some red flags. I didn't really think it was possible unless like I said you threw it in reverse doing 80 or something but he swears by it and it made me nervous. I guess I knew the answer but pretty much needed some assurance so that it didn't bother me in the back of my mind. . . know what I mean?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
653 Posts
If he's blown two motors, then why are you asking him for advice? Your friend sounds uneducated. The only way a sts can jack up your system is if you get the WRONG ONE and it doesn't fit the linkage right. If you went B&M, then you have nothing to worry about (I think I recommended this to you in another thread). I have had mine for over a year and it' sweet and smooth. Not that others aren't... but as long as you bought a reputable brand and the right model, then you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OH NO don't miss understand me!! I didn't ask this fool for advice!! lol He's a friend but in no way do I seek car advice from him!! lol I mearly brought in the shifter to work ( to show off my new x-mas present!) And he had made a comment on it thats all! But it was just one of those things that if I didn't ask about and put to rest it would really bother me. . .thats all. I have a feeling he doesn't exactly drive correctly. . .he has a civic with about 100k miles on it and its literally falling apart. .. . burning oil and the works. . all he has is a SRI and an exhuast so I really don't know where all this wear and tear is coming from. . .they are pretty hearty cars no matter what people say! Anyways enough said. . .thanks!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i have a fidanza sts and shortened it couple inches more, the tranny works, the car -not lol.but will again when i finish the tune

·
Registered
309 Posts
I can tell you that Hyundai will tell you that if you install one that your tranny warranty is void because they consider it a racing part and you are racing. The warranty person here at Planet Hyundai in Vegas came out of her office to tell me that personally when I wanted them to install it. She and I had a few words, and finally I told her thanks, I was NOT going to install it that when I had a transmission problem I wanted to make sure that Hyundai paid every penny under warranty. My Basstib STS is still in my backseat, never installed.

·
Registered
653 Posts
2bit said:
I can tell you that Hyundai will tell you that if you install one that your tranny warranty is void because they consider it a racing part and you are racing. The warranty person here at Planet Hyundai in Vegas came out of her office to tell me that personally when I wanted them to install it. She and I had a few words, and finally I told her thanks, I was NOT going to install it that when I had a transmission problem I wanted to make sure that Hyundai paid every penny under warranty. My Basstib STS is still in my backseat, never installed.

That again depends on the dealership. Everybody has their own set or negotiable rules. The Baytown Hyundai service manager (who just happens to be my next door neighbor) said that a STS is fine. Won't effect the warranty at all. If your tranny does go bad, they would have to PROVE that the problem was due to the STS in order to void it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea same here! My boyfriend works for towne toyota and they also own towne hyundai. . .so basically I get pretty much everything fixed no questions asked. . .but he's right it just depends on how cool your service guys are.

They people at your place could have been D1cked by someone else before so they say no to everything now you know. It always takes just one stupid F**** to mess **** up for everyone!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
2bit said:
My dealership thinks it's awesome... no warranty voided...

Passing 100k miles on the other hand lol.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know a service manager for hyundai who has 03 tiburon, he has one in his car and he told me it has nothing to do with the warranty, unless you put it in without the reverse engagement or something stupid like that and actually cause a transmission problem. Well, that situation is what I made up, not what he said. I love mine, he loves his, my friends with tiburon and other cars with STS love theirs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts