Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. If you've got any recommendations for a header that'll fit a 2008 2.0L i4 Tiburon I'd love to hear them! I'd preferably like to get one that doesn't sound too ricey, I'd prefer a deeper sound.

Also, can anyone tell me if I have to worry about emissions regulations when installing a new header? if so, how can I tell if the header will meet the emissions standards before I buy it and install it?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have the Megan 4-1 Headers and they sound awesome. Not Ricey. Doesn't really have any drone either. Coupled with my intake it's nice and throaty.

You will have to get the Headers (will say made for 99-01) But it fits just the same, then you will need a mid-pipe for a 2004-2006 because the design was changed on the 07-08.

Now, you will get a CEL. As with ANY headers. The only way around this is to Have someone modify your equipment.

There are two oxygen sensors on your exhaust. The first one is right at the top of the stock exhaust manifold (Pictured above). The second one is underneath the car behind the second catalytic converter on the mid-pipe. The ECU uses both of these to determine the emissions. It looks for changes in the air coming out of the engine from the first sensor to the second sensor. Normally a CAT would cause dramatic changes in the oxygen levels but with a normal header system (such as the megan with the 06 mid-pipe) you are only left with one catalytic converter on the midpipe after the oxygen sensor. In that system there would be no change to the air.

What you COULD do, Get the headers and have a shop fabricate an exhaust system for you between the cat-back and headers. You would need a new cat placed after the first oxygen sensor, then another cat similar to the factory position, followed by the second oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor wires would have to be extended to reach.

Here is my setup. You can see the hole for the oxygen sensor at the bottom of the headers (plugged in this picture). I only have 1 cat, thus I have a CEL.

The factory exhaust manifold has a built-in catalytic converter. You can see it by just looking in your engine bay, the tubes are only a few inches long then go straight into it. By replacing it with headers you are removing the Catalytic converter.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you plan to pass e-test you will need a good cat welded between the primary and secondary o2 sensors, or you'll fail miserably.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the Megan 4-1 Headers and they sound awesome. Not Ricey. Doesn't really have any drone either. Coupled with my intake it's nice and throaty.

You will have to get the Headers (will say made for 99-01) But it fits just the same, then you will need a mid-pipe for a 2004-2006 because the design was changed on the 07-08.

Now, you will get a CEL. As with ANY headers. The only way around this is to Have someone modify your equipment.

There are two oxygen sensors on your exhaust. The first one is right at the top of the stock exhaust manifold (Pictured above). The second one is underneath the car behind the second catalytic converter on the mid-pipe. The ECU uses both of these to determine the emissions. It looks for changes in the air coming out of the engine from the first sensor to the second sensor. Normally a CAT would cause dramatic changes in the oxygen levels but with a normal header system (such as the megan with the 06 mid-pipe) you are only left with one catalytic converter on the midpipe after the oxygen sensor. In that system there would be no change to the air.

What you COULD do, Get the headers and have a shop fabricate an exhaust system for you between the cat-back and headers. You would need a new cat placed after the first oxygen sensor, then another cat similar to the factory position, followed by the second oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor wires would have to be extended to reach.

Here is my setup. You can see the hole for the oxygen sensor at the bottom of the headers (plugged in this picture). I only have 1 cat, thus I have a CEL.

The factory exhaust manifold has a built-in catalytic converter. You can see it by just looking in your engine bay, the tubes are only a few inches long then go straight into it. By replacing it with headers you are removing the Catalytic converter.
How did you deal with the contact with the oil pan. I'm planning on getting this header as well

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess I'll revive this old thread for a bit...

'08 i4 2.0L:
Ontario got rid of the emissions testing, so that part wouldn't bother me. I'm just wondering how it would effect performance, fuel economy, or possibly wearing out my only cat, if I put the header on and just ignored the CEL?
Can anyone give feedback based on experience?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
The 07-08 ECU's are MUCH more stringent with regards to emissions. If the ECU detects that you no longer have the primary cat installed it will dump extra fuel to try to bring emissions back in line. It will throw a CEL and could eventually trigger limp mode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts