Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take the carpet lining thing under the hood off? i dont know what its called it snaps on under a stock hood....but mine is starting to put off this awful smell when the motor gets warm so i was wondering if it would hurt anything if i took it off?

Oh yeah i didnt know where to post thie thread sorry guys...

·
Registered
514 Posts
The carpet is actually your fire cover deflector thing...so if your engine gets cought on fire your screwed, besides that your good.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Pull it out if it sticks... if you're engine catches on fire... there are plenty of other things to worry about....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah the guy that does all the work on my car said its just incase my motor catches on fire an that alot of cars dont even have them....but i was like if my motors on fire im screwed wether thats there or not, but thanks guys

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Trust, me that thing isn't going to do jack for an involved engine fire. It mostly keeps the radiant heat from being absorbed by the hood. If you remove it, your hood will get hotter than he$$.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
It serves 3 main functions: Fire blanket to slow the spread of a fire (operative word: slow, not stop), insulation as bagpiper mentioned, and the last purpose (probably the one Hyundai cares the most about) is sound attenuation, to keep the noise of the motor from being heard from inside the cabin and to those outside.

·
Registered
360 Posts
without it, would the hood get hot enough to mess with your paint?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
6spd_Tib said:
Take the carpet lining thing under the hood off? i dont know what its called it snaps on under a stock hood....but mine is starting to put off this awful smell when the motor gets warm so i was wondering if it would hurt anything if i took it off?

Oh yeah i didnt know where to post thie thread sorry guys...
I don't lnow why your's is smelly? You sure it's the insulation, or could it be your exhaust, or something burning or melting? Did you look under the car to see if there's something on the headers or somewhere?

·
Registered
139 Posts
just fyi, if an open flame touches this stuff it goes up fast. i had an 83 continental with the insulation falling off so i grabbed a piece and lit it. burned like a rag soaked in gas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts