Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my car detailed on Saturday. I paid $115 to have the exterior detailed, have the swirl marks and scratches buffed out, and have some spiffy 2-step wax put on afterwards that they required if they use the high-speed buffer.

Anyway, I looked the car over at the detail shop, and it looked NICE. I was very impressed and happy with their work. All the scratches were gone, and the car had a showroom shine to it that I had never seen before. Unfortunately, it rained that night most of the next day, so it got semi-dirty again. Well, last night (getting dark, but not completely dark yet) as I was standing outside pumping some gas, I noticed I could still see some scratches and swirl marks on the spoiler. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that I could still see them down the sides of the car and on the hood, as well. It was almost like they put something on the car to cover them up, and the rain washed it away or something. But today, it was nice and sunny, and while looking over the car, it seemed all the scratches had disappeared again. I just found it kind of weird that they showed up more in barely any light, than they did with the sun shining on the car.

So, is there any type of wax or something that is out there that can cover up scratches? I paid $115 for these guys to get the scratches out of my car, and I'm going to keep taking it back to them until they do it right.

Here's a picture of the hood after I got home the day I got it done:

·
Registered
558 Posts
that's an expensive car wash... sheesh... well it depends how crazy the scratches are.. i've noticed that a nice hard wax on dark colors really gives it an amazing shine and gets rid of the swirl marks... just a heads up, you could've bought a oscilating buffer with that kind of money... it's an awesome investment! get one!

meguire's has scratch x to remove scratches, but it's not for the huge scratches... i would recommend some zaino swirl removal and polish... the more coats you put on, the sexier your shine gets..

save some money, use a little elbow grease... you can shine it until your hearts content

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
its actually very easy, you get the hang of it in a couple of secs

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still didn't want to chance it. Plus, this was a Christmas present from my parents, so I myself didn't actually pay for it. I'm still not planning to let them do a ****** job for what I paid them, though. I just went out to start my car and let it warm up, and it looks really good again. Maybe I'm just paranoid and imagining scratches on it? :3_saai:

·
Registered
939 Posts
After a week or so, try doing a nice handwash. Then inspect the car in different lighting conditions. Your viewing angle will change the way things look too- if your face is right on the door and you are looking down the paint-

eye ------>
---door------------------------

you'll see things differently than if you are standing a few feet back looking directly at the paint-

eye ------> | door

I don't think they scammed you or used some sort of quick fix product that will wash off in the rain. They should have been able to at least reduce the look of the swirl marks. Scratches can be harder to clean up- light ones they should have been able to improve on, but if they are deep, not so much.

How did the paint feel when you picked it up? All smooth and frictionless? After waxing my car I've seen towels just slide right off the hood, due to the slickness.

Sounds like they shined it up and made the paint more reflective, which is good. It was a gift, the car is shiny, roll with it for a while. But if you're not happy with it after a nice handwash and inspection, I see a clay bar kit and hand wax in your future :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it was smooth and frictionless. I watched them buffing the wax off, so I know they at least gave it a good wash. However, it took them 4 hours, so I went shopping while they were buffing it. As for the scratches... They're all surface scratches, probably mostly from me using the brush on it at the car wash (won't do that again). You can't feel them if you rub your finger across them, but you can still see them when it's sunny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts