Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you change the shift knob on the 6 speed? Or do you have to buy a short shifter kit to get the threads? Thanks

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Ok, I'm going to be nice here. Um some people get an STS and still use their stock knob on their new STS so with that said .............. you can buy a different knob and put it on your stock shifter if you'd like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but does it screw off the same way it would? with that 6 speed reverse ****?

·
Registered
617 Posts
For the 6speed you need a shift knob that will accomodate the reverse lockout. I haven't been able to find any new ones, there is somebody selling System 6sp knobs in the fs/ft forums. I picked up one of those and it works great. I don't know of any available knobs other than System.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sharkracing.com has 2 different ones, but I'm not sure if they still do (mine's a little old).

Now for friendly advice. Please use the "search" feature (located on the toolbar across the top of the page) before posting a new thread. There is already a great deal of accumulated knowledge here on the forums, just waiting to be explored.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
peachferrari said:
I see the new Sentra has a 6-speed now too. Anyone know if it's the same knob? The Maxima one is really pricey.

Yeah you're not kidding. someone had said it was like $40 so I went down to the nissan dealer today, and it's $98!! jeeez. Time to continue the eternal quest for a shift knob...

·
Registered
393 Posts
yea i have a B&M short shifter and im using the stock knob right now, I bought the Ichibahn drilled series knob that work with reverse lockout but it does not fit right at all, its always loose and the lever for the lockout gets stuck all the time...so im still looking myself, we need an offical shift knob thread

·
Registered
809 Posts
xxSandmaNxx said:
Yeah you're not kidding. someone had said it was like $40 so I went down to the nissan dealer today, and it's $98!! jeeez. Time to continue the eternal quest for a shift knob...
I got that shift knob from the nissan dealer near me and i paid only $65. I love the damn thing. best looking know out there i think.

The metal knowbs aren't bad looking but dammit they will get stupid hot in the summer time. If you have ever accidently burnt your hand on the metal part of your seat belt in the summer, imagine having to purposefully grasp something that hot in order to drive your car. ya, shi77y.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow so not all shift knobs work then? because u need to keep the tension if you have the 6 speed? I mean would i be able to use a 5 speed shift knob on a 6 speed and will it still operate correctly? Thanks for the inputs i really love this tuscani and other hyundai owners input

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
062Scani said:
Wow so not all shift knobs work then? because u need to keep the tension if you have the 6 speed? I mean would i be able to use a 5 speed shift knob on a 6 speed and will it still operate correctly? Thanks for the inputs i really love this tuscani and other hyundai owners input
You can use any knob you want, but if you want to keep the reverse lockout in place you need a knob that will accommodate it. If not, you can take the lockout off and use whatever knob. Just don't find the reverse gate when trying to find 6th. :3_smile:

·
Registered
468 Posts
peachferrari said:
you can take the lockout off and use whatever knob

how?

is thre a DIY? I'm fairly confident that I can avoid 6th ;)

·
Registered
617 Posts
xxSandmaNxx said:
how?

is thre a DIY? I'm fairly confident that I can avoid 6th ;)
Just remove the collar that's underneath the stock knob. I wouldn't recommend it though ... when you push the shifter all the way right now, straight down is going to be reverse, and not 6th.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
earlmred said:
Just remove the collar that's underneath the stock knob. I wouldn't recommend it though ... when you push the shifter all the way right now, straight down is going to be reverse, and not 6th.
^^^What he said^^^
Don't remove it, it's there for a reason. The Maxima shift knob works fine with the reverse lift anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts