Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've read everything I can find about this issue. Including bridging pins 4 & 5, this was already done on my vehicle, which I verified via my multimeter via continuity tests. I've also performed the K Line modification. By soldering a connection from pin 20 on the BCM I connector to the pin 7 on the OBD2 port, I've also verified this is connected via continuity tests.

Following this thread OBD connection failure and check engine light on

I really wanted to connect it via USB to a Raspberry Pi to send and receive data as I wish.

I've connected the following devices to it though they're both ELM327 based (could this be the problem? any adapters people can recommend):

I'm going to connect an oscilloscope to it tomorrow to try and read the data from the ECU, I don't think there should be any issues with ELM327, since it supports KWP2000 FAST.

Here's the BCM diagram as well as the pinout. I've soldered pin 20 on the BCM I connector to the pin 7 on the OBD2 port.

Here's the pinout

Here's a wiring diagram that outlines the issue of the 2.7L K Line, it doesn't occur on the 2L versions as you can also see below.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interested in some more info on this. Are you trying to flash it with rasp?
Nah, planning on swapping out radio & gauges for a 7” touchscreen with full diagnostic control as well, just can’t get anything from the damn OBD2 port...

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
144 Posts
You can only do the basic CANBUS commands with ELM327 IIRC. I bought the same USB tool you have many years ago but all I could do with it were basic commands over a serial console to read my CEL and clear faults. You need a different OBD2 adapter to read live data.

I've used both of the following successfully to read live data on the Torque app:

The USB one is surprisingly slower than the BT adapter likely due to a slower baudrate on the USB one. The difference is marginal though. In either case you need a K-Line capable OBD2 tool which can read live data.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can only do the basic CANBUS commands with ELM327 IIRC. I bought the same USB tool you have many years ago but all I could do with it were basic commands over a serial console to read my CEL and clear faults. You need a different OBD2 adapter to read live data.

I've used both of the following successfully to read live data on the Torque app:

The USB one is surprisingly slower than the BT adapter likely due to a slower baudrate on the USB one. The difference is marginal though. In either case you need a K-Line capable OBD2 tool which can read live data.
I'll have to grab the WiFi one since I recently just got an iPhone, but I'll give that brand a shot and see how it goes, worst comes to worst when I remove the gauges I might tap the speed sensor wire in there and try and get some information onto the Pi, but ideally I'd like full access, I'll have to see. People mentioned that you need to connect all the excess Hyundai pins (7,8,12 and 15), with 7 being the K Line, but I doubt that'd effect basic Live Data reading...

Ideally I wanted to read out revs and speed for a bit of a dashboard in the center console, but also wouldn't mind replacing my entire instrument cluster with a digital one, but if I can't get this information from the OBD2 port, I'd have to try and reverse engineer the instrument cluster and get the information from the connectors there.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
144 Posts
I believe that bridging those pins is only necessary when you are using the hacky Hi Scan Pro CASCADE emulator. I did with a separate OBD2 USB plug I bought specifically for that emulator. However, I didn't bridge anything to get live data working on the two devices I posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe that bridging those pins is only necessary when you are using the hacky Hi Scan Pro CASCADE emulator. I did with a separate OBD2 USB plug I bought specifically for that emulator. However, I didn't bridge anything to get live data working on the two devices I posted.
Interesting, I’ve taken that ELM327 to USB cable apart to steal the connector and I’m gonna build a little breadboard test application for trying to read the ECU via direct KWP2000 FAST, let’s pray I get something!

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
144 Posts
Hell yeah, always good to see someone diving in head first to work on a project like that. If you make any progress and want to share some of your code be sure to upload to Github and share your project link on the forums. Maybe more people can collaborate on it. I am personally working on mapping out the V6 ECU to create DAMOS or definition files for it. I will be sharing my results in the coming months. However I am not able to read/write through OBD2 to flash it which is where you seem to be heading, correct? I would be interested in contributing to your project where I can. What coding language are you working with?

The reason for bridging the pins for the CASCADE emulator is because the original HiScan Pro can dynamically switch to a different KLine pin. Likely due to it having more than one serial connection to the OBD2 port. However, with the FTDI/KWP2000 cables we have readily available, they only operate with one serial connection on a single KLine pin. Those cannot switch dynamically. We just bridge them and use one module in the CASCADE emulator at a time otherwise it crashes if you try to switch to and from modules.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hell yeah, always good to see someone diving in head first to work on a project like that. If you make any progress and want to share some of your code be sure to upload to Github and share your project link on the forums. Maybe more people can collaborate on it. I am personally working on mapping out the V6 ECU to create DAMOS or definition files for it. I will be sharing my results in the coming months. However I am not able to read/write through OBD2 to flash it which is where you seem to be heading, correct? I would be interested in contributing to your project where I can. What coding language are you working with?

The reason for bridging the pins for the CASCADE emulator is because the original HiScan Pro can dynamically switch to a different KLine pin. Likely due to it having more than one serial connection to the OBD2 port. However, with the FTDI/KWP2000 cables we have readily available, they only operate with one serial connection on a single KLine pin. Those cannot switch dynamically. We just bridge them and use one module in the CASCADE emulator at a time otherwise it crashes if you try to switch to and from modules.
Currently writing some software with an Arduino MEGA, to just confirm that I can speak to the ECU and that everything is all good. Then I might switch to C++ and Qt for writing the entire car dashboard.

The idea is to hopefully rip out the entire centre console and replace it with a big touchscreen that can control AC, Radio & Bluetooth, Hazard Lights etc, full engine diagnostics and more. Baby steps however, just trying to speak to the ECU is proving to be the hardest part!

Got an OBD2 male connector connected to a ribbon cable that I’m using as a bit of a break board OBD2 board to test the comms.

If I get some stuff going and actual progress, I’ll chuck some stuff up on GitHub along with a full DIY of the wiring as well!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Bought the WiFi one, turns out it was also another ELM327 chip, gonna continue on working on my own one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts