Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys once again I'm trying to get some other minds on what could be going wrong with my tib, it's a 03 GT 6 Spd 146000 miles and the mods are I/H/E STG 2 clutch w/light flywheel and short shifter.

So I had posted about a week ago about my ole girl having problems with the CPS and we resolved the issue and now it's been having some weird hiccups since that doesn't throw any codes so I think it may be fuel related. It will run great for maybe a day or a week and then start acting like it's not getting fuel and will die. When I turn the key to on I can hear pump prime sometimes and when it does it sounds loud and weak and sometimes it doesn't even prime at all. But also could the pump not prime because of the lines being full? I can let it sit for about 10 or 20 mins then try again and she starts right back up and will run fine until she's done with her fit she's throwing lol. Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would check your Cadalitic converter, fuel pump and fuel filter, Sadly the pump and filter are in the gas tank. You maybe able to get to it from the back seat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have converters on the car since I put exhuast on it I opted out of having any on it. My city doesn't require E-check so that rules that out. And yes the filter is on the fuel pump and can be accessed through the back seat. I ordered one already in Hope of it fixing the issue. I was just trying to get other thoughts on this. Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
It's possible it's a failing pump and/or clogged pump filter sock or fuel filter. With that many miles you should be on your second fuel filter. The paper inside the filter can break down and clog up the works.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay guys I'm going to update on this for all future problems everyone may have on NT, I replaced the fuel pump and it seems to be running great again. Got on the ole girl pretty hard and she didn't sputter at all so I think I got it. Replacing the fuel pump is very easy even if your not that mechanically inclined also! Although I did break a bolt on top of the fuel pump that holds it to the rubber gasket and had to drill it out and make a new thread for another bolt so warning to all! Don't tighten too hard, just enough to where it's snug and tighten them around in a circle till they are all snug. But she's back up and running! If I do have anymore problems I'll be sure to post and keep you guys updated! Drive safe guys!

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Glad you got if fixed, I still recommend replacing that old fuel filter as well.

Yeah those little bolts only need 5-6 ft/lbs of torque. Anymore than that and they can and will snap, like you found out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts