Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the sudden my car started running really eratic since last night.....

my rpm's just jump around and the car stalled once or twice when i was at a stop light

It's not a vaccume leak, cant be the plugs or wires since they're practically brand new.

Now if you may have glanced in my other thread about my bad compression on my cylinders, i dont think bad compression can cause this kind of bad performance can it?

could it be that my spark plugs could have already fouled because too much oil is getting past my rings? those plugs are barely 3 months old and they are Iridium IX so they should last for waay longer...

Any ideas of what i could be looking at?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Double check and make sure it's not a vacuum leak... I had something similar happen on my first Tib and it turned out to be the little rubber hose that connects to the CAI.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
^^check just to make sure!
it is probably not because of your bad rings, i drove my first car for a few months with SHOT rings and it ran pretty damn good it just burnt oil like a mofo and was slow haha. It could also be a fouled spark plug pull them and see if there is any sign of oil on them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i had the same problem earlier this week. it ended up being my plugs, i changed them and i cleaned my throttle body pretty good and my upper IM. if i were you id just pull out one of the front three plugs (it only takes a minute) and if it seems messed up then replace them, just so you dont have to go through the hassle of checking all of them. good luck with it

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Sounds like your having the same problems that i was having. You also seem to have the same mods that i have. Do you have a check engine light on yet? If so get a code scanner or go to Autozone and have them scan to see what codes your throwing. You may need a new maf thats was the final thing i had to purchase to get my car running. Let me know what codes you have and i can probably help you fix your car as its basically the same problems i was having.

Chris

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope, not throwing any codes....

i already checked for a vaccume leak, sprayed starter fluid all around the IM and PCV hoses and nothing, i just replaced my IM gasket a couple of weeks ago because it WAS leaking....

That's the second thing i did, right after i checked my distributor plugs since one of them broke off a few weeks ago, but i'm pretty sure that's not the problem here

I also had the spark plugs out a couple weeks ago and yes there were signs of oil on them right around the bottom of the threads, but where the actual spark takes place (dont know exactly what it's called) was pretty much spotless

And fleishelja (wtf does your name mean btw lol) it does do it at idle sometimes, but i dont think it's the idle air controll thing because coincidentally my friend was mentioning to me that his car had problems with some type of idle sensor (probably the idle air controll) and his problem sounded different, his rpm's just climb every now and then when he idles. But with me, they go up then drop down REALLY low and it will either stall or almost stall, and i didnt pay much attention as to how much it varies. But basically when it's happening, sometimes when i floor it, the car just has no power and then all of the sudden it'll start catching up...

I already made an appointment at the dealer tommorow to get it checked out since i didnt really feel like troubleshooting this and i didnt have a whole lot of time either.

Oh yea! i forgot to mention this part which might be important. 2 days ago it was raining HARD, and i was going through this relatively big puddle of water very slowly and then all of the sudden my battery light and E-brake light come on on my instrument panel and my power steering just went out (my steering wheel got hard) so i was like WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS! and like 10 seconds later it all goes back to normal...... I just dismissed it as something random.... but well, 2 days later this happens...

So yea.... INPUT PLEASE!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Im gonna put money on the maf sensor. Cause now you are having the exact same problems that i was. Just tell them to switch them and see if the problem goes away if they have one in stock that is.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
well,

turns out, they couldnt duplicate the problem so they couldnt fix it.....

I was affraid that was going to happen because when i brought the car in this morning it was working just fine....

How do i check if my MAF sensor is working right? Wouldnt i get a CEL if it wasnt working right?

Also, could it be related to my timing belt? because it's way over due, going to be replacing it next month, should ahve been replaced 15k miles ago :(

i'll also be taking out my 3 front spark plugs either tommorow or sunday and take some pics and see if it works better

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
still need some help here! :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Generally the MAF's on OBD II cars should flag a CEL. Failing that I have disconnected a MAF while it was producing the bad behavior to see if it made any difference . Warning if the maf is not bad, it might be after doing that particular procedure.
as to the wonky idling , a failed IAC may cause the bizarre up down stall up when running.
A big vacuum leak would not "heal itself" if it leaks at idle once it generally wants to do that every time at idle.
low compression...... how can you have a nearly new car with bad compression anyway?
not being a smart**s just curious.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
darthmentos said:
Generally the MAF's on OBD II cars should flag a CEL. Failing that I have disconnected a MAF while it was producing the bad behavior to see if it made any difference . Warning if the maf is not bad, it might be after doing that particular procedure.
as to the wonky idling , a failed IAC may cause the bizarre up down stall up when running.
A big vacuum leak would not "heal itself" if it leaks at idle once it generally wants to do that every time at idle.
low compression...... how can you have a nearly new car with bad compression anyway?
not being a smart**s just curious.
so disconnecting the maf while the car is runnign ight damage it? lol no thanks on that one, i found a procedure on hmaservice on how to check it.

Could you specify what the IAC is?

Well, my car has 75k miles an i'm also not the first owner, dont know what the heck the first owner may have done with it and i'm pretty sure i've had the bad compression for a good while since the performance has always been lacking....

·
Registered
419 Posts
hey there Moogle, did ya install those nitrous plugs i sold ya?? the IAC is a sensor on the back of the upper intake on the right side. it senses the air temp in the intake. also check your ground cables....

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey jas,

naw, didnt install those plugs yet, havent found a use for them so far hehehe.

thanks for specifying the IAC, always reffered to it as air temp sensor or somethign

ye knwo, for the past 4-5 days the car has been running flawlessly without me having done anything.....

I bought a can of electronic cleaning spray to clean the MAF if the car starts acting up again...

i'll also keep those other tips in mind

·
Registered
419 Posts
:3_winkthu

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My car did the same thing, and it was a MAF. I would come up to a red light, or stop sign, and it would rev up when I pushed in the clutch and then just stall out, or try unless I hit the gas a little bit. But, it would start up and stay running until I had brought the RPMs back up from driving and then stop again. I didn't always get a CEL either, just once in a while. Replaced the MAF and all is well. As far as I know there is no real way to make sure it is working right with out hooking up one of them high dollar hand helds OBD II scanners and driving the car around and monitoring the MAF read outs, that is how they caught mine!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
You mentioned going through some deep water and the electrical system freaking out. Might be that some of the connectors got wet. You might want to use contact cleaner on the connectors in the engine compartment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts