Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just got my tib in Jan., I bought it knowing the struts needed to be replaced.... Recently the steering wheel is shaking a little, this wasnt happening before....what could be my problem??

maybe its time to replace the struts and mounts??

or could it be something else?/

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If it's only @ 70 I'm gonna guess wheels aren't balanced perfectly. Try rotating your tires and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Check your tires, rub your hand along it and check the insides/outsides of the treads for any chopping, cupping, or feathering. If any of them seem like they are a little ****ed up, put the worst two in the back and see if that helps

If any of them are indeed messed up, it could be an alignment issue. Also bad suspension can cause tires to wear unevenly and cause a pull/shake in the steering wheel.

·
AKA: 07GREYGHOST
630 Posts
Wheel weights may have fell off one of your wheels.... Or bad tire.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your tires, rub your hand along it and check the insides/outsides of the treads for any chopping, cupping, or feathering. If any of them seem like they are a little ****ed up, put the worst two in the back and see if that helps

If any of them are indeed messed up, it could be an alignment issue. Also bad suspension can cause tires to wear unevenly and cause a pull/shake in the steering wheel.
ahh ok, that can explain why the car kinda pulls to the right.....and yes its about time for new tires.....thx guys maybe ill do tires and struts at the same time

·
Registered
108 Posts
I almost guarantee its a balancing issue. If you rotated your tires they would still be out of balance. If you take it somewhere its usually 5 or 10 bucks a tire to get them rebalanced. If you can put up with the shaking for a while just wait till you buy new tires and the place usually throw in balancing for free with a new set of tires. Good luck

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
where did you get the strip of road to go that fast!?!?

ha just kidding but its a wheel balance issue most likely

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I almost guarantee its a balancing issue. If you rotated your tires they would still be out of balance. If you take it somewhere its usually 5 or 10 bucks a tire to get them rebalanced. If you can put up with the shaking for a while just wait till you buy new tires and the place usually throw in balancing for free with a new set of tires. Good luck
Unbalanced on the rears doesn't shake (or barely shakes), where as unbalanced on the front causes the steering to warble.

But yeah, you should get them rebalanced, truckinnines is right on about that.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool, thanks guys I guess ill get em rebalanced for now till I can afford tires

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it was the Tires got them today and made a world a difference!!!

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Yes it was the Tires got them today and made a world a difference!!!
Not necessarily the case though! When I put my winter tires on the problem went away for me, but slowly showed up. Get an alignment done anyway. It won't hurt.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cool thx, man

·
Registered
25 Posts
having the same vibration problem, so i'll get it aligned and see what happens also noting that right side have the engine bonnet my driver side. i can see it vibrating more than the left side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1999 Tiburon it sways bad after 45 mph as long as I keep throttle acceleration no sway but back off and the sway starts how to fix. Tires good shocks good bearing good alignment good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts