Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summary of the below novel:
My car squeals like a stuck pig and needs a new power steering belt. AC, Alternator and Timing belt were replaced in May 2014 and tightened a month later. It also needs a new windshield wiper pump. I have the parts, just not the skills. Will pay. Can someone in Edmonton help?

Background:
I have a 2005 Tib (automatic, 4cyl SE model) that makes the most god awful noise when I start it, and then when I turn the wheel. The squeal is quick and the longevity depends on the temperature - in cold weather, it lasts maybe 10 seconds. In warm weather, it's closer to 2 seconds. Then it squeals again when I crank the wheel hard to the left or right.

I've had the AC, alternator and timing belt replaced in May. The squeal stopped briefly (for about a month) and then started again... slowly at first, and then more persistently. I took the car back to have the belts tightened. That fixed the issue for about 3 days.

A car savvy friend told me the most likely issue was the power steering belt (Parts Source tells me this is a serpentine belt?) and the belt would need to be replaced. Of course, he doesn't have time to help. :p Rather than taking the car into a shop or dealership where they'll gouge me on price, I was wondering if there was someone local (Edmonton and nearby areas) that would mind taking a look and possibly changing the part out for me. My wiper pump also went recently. I will pay you for your time and bring the parts - I just don't have the tools or know-how to do it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
you say the AC, alternator belt was changed right? thats the serpentine belt so that drives everything, if that has been changed that recently then it is most likely not the belt but probably a pulley more than anything. I would help but im just south of calgary so its a good ways drive. If i were you i would take the serpentine belt off and start spinning each pulley to see if any of them are making any noises. If theres a pulley making a noise when you spin it theres your problem and you will need to replace that pulley.

·
Administrator
8,843 Posts
As mentioned, there are ways to check for a bad pulley, etc. Since the belt was just replaced, I wonder if it's the crank pulley (big sucker near the bottom of the engine). It's a multi piece unit than is known to seperate with age.
A easy test is to wipe off the face of it (to remove dirt, grease, etc.) and then draw a line from the center out so it covers the inner steel part, across the rubber and then onto the outer steel part (which has the grooves for the belt on it).
Start and stop the engine and then recheck the line. If it's no longer lined up you need the crank pulley replaced.

Hope that makes sense.

As to the washer pump...... easy to do with limited tools.
-Hope the tank is almost empty
-Remove passengers side headlight (3 small bolts, uses a 10mm wrench or socket)
-Reach down & unplug harness from pump
-Pull hoses off pump (keep track on which goes where)
-Yank out old pump & rubber bushing (rubber ring thingy)
-Put bushing on new pump
-Cram the pump back into the tank
-Add some washer fluid to check for leaks, if it's OK.....
-reassemble in reverse order
-Done

If I was closer, it's about a 10 minute job.
:grin2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, both of you. I got a kick out of the 'rubber ring thingy' description.. haha.

I'm going to poke around tonight and see what I can figure out. If all else fails, I have an appointment at a shop on Saturday to run a diagnostic and find out exactly where the squeal is coming from. If it wasn't such an annoying noise (and my poor neighbors are starting to hate me because I leave at an ungodly time each morning), I'd just ignore it. The car runs well after the initial 10 second squeal.

I figured the wiper pump was easy to fix, so I might attempt that tonight while I still have light. Edmonton gets dark way too early lately. If all else fails, the shop can install it on Saturday for me. haha.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Belt conditioner for your serpentine belt :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a bit of belt dressing last night to see if that would change anything. Car didn't squeal this morning (yay!). However, car squealed at noon when I went to leave for lunch (boo!). I'll try belt dressing tonight and see if it squeals tomorrow morning.

Cars are funny.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hey Courtney, depending which area of town you're in, I know of a great place that does work cheaper than your standard dealership or whatever and they're pretty honest. Whenever I get lazy and don't feel like doing the work myself, I send it to these guys. The information is below:

Xtreme Autowerx
11227 154 St Nw
Edmonton, AB T5M 1X8, Canada
Phone: (780) 732-1105

Hope everything worked out! If so, what did they determine the cause was?

·
Registered
269 Posts
wiper pump is stupid easy too. you just have to get enough courage to start looking around under the hood. pm me and I'll give you a hand if need it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Please do not bump threads over a month old.
oh didn't even notice the date! LOL You know what would be better than people getting crap for bumping for old threads is if they were just deleted. no maybe deleting isn't good because people can still use them for reference but atleast lock them automatically after one month. would save a lot of useless comments on not bumping old threads?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts