Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off the upper intake manifold in order to reach behind and clean off the alternator and one of the exhaust headers. There was a bunch of burnt oil on them (not my fault I got this car like a month ago so still cleaning up the previous owners mistakes) and it was causing some pretty bad smells. Anyways, after I put the intake manifold back on, the car sputters and dies on start. I attached a video of what it sounds like. It’s a pretty gnarly sound so I’m hesitant to turn it on again. All the vacuum hoses are connected, I tightened the clamps on the intake and throttle. And no, the engine didn’t shake like that before. If anyone has any idea of what could be going on, I’d be happy to listen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's a good old vacuum leak. I had the same problem when I replaced my valve cover gasket and was too dumb to connect the vacuum line. I would recommend replacing the upper intake manifold gasket entirely and torqueing it to spec. If the gasket surface is marred, a very slight amount of rtv should do the job of sealing it up. Just make sure that it's properly aligned. I just did mine and it's kind of a pain.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yep, check all the lines and gaskets. There's also a bracket on the throttle body that often gets installed wrong, then the throttle body doesn't seal properly and creates a big leak there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts