Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got a 07 Hyundai tiburon v6 with 107 thousand miles today I went out with it drove fine no issues but when I went back to the car it didn’t start like there was no noise or anything when it was in the start position I took the battery to autozone they checked it and it seemed fine but I still bought a new battery put the new one in and the car still wouldn’t start so I’m sitting here waiting for a mobile mechanic but I’m wondering if anyone else had this sort of issue

·
Registered
539 Posts
Is it auto or manual?

Assuming by no noise you're describing no crank no start situation and a new battery (not discharged)

1. Key On CEL bulb check, the CEL should light up when on ON position.
2. Check battery voltage (yes even on a new battery)
3. Park neutral switch/Clutch safety switch
4. Check for corrosion on battery terminals
5. Testing starter
- Listen for starter solenoid click when trying to start.
- Starter wire (heavy cable from the battery to starter) should be hot all the time (Set multi-meter to 20V DC, connect multi-meter Black lead to battery Negative, and Red lead to starter stud) should be same volt as battery 12.4v
- Check ground on starter casing (connect multi-meter Red lead to battery Positive, and Black lead to starter casing) should be same volt as battery 12.4v
- Using a test light (connected to battery negative or a good ground), check for power on the small gauze signal wire (s-wire) on the starter solenoid (comes from ignition/park neutral/clutch safety switch) when trying to crank. Test light should light up.
- Have it bench tested if you suspect it's the starter

Guessing it's either 3 or 5.

·
Administrator
8,884 Posts
Re: Car won’t start...

Sooo.....you have a no crank.

AT or MT?
If AT, try it in neutral, could be a safety switch.
If MT, could be the clutch safety switch. You could try a jumper across it.

LOL......2 of us posted at same time....

Reactions: Akbeast

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey sooo here’s the results of today’s situation ( it’s an automatic btw) this mechanic real nice guy unfortunately during the time getting to me got into an accident was rear ended BUT he still came it just took forever like I got home at around 12 am but here’s the crazy thing so he figured out it was a fuse for the ignition causing it to not start it was blown now we go to the Walmart nearby to get new fuses unfortunately with each fuse they kept getting blown so he looks to the wire harness noticed that the wires looked kind of in bad shape he said that’s causing the fuse to blow now here’s something interesting in a last ditch effort to get me home he decided to use a piece of metal wire hanger to put in where the fuse goes and my car turned and I was able to get home it started fine with no other problems any help further would greatly be appreciated though as the issue of taking care of the main problem is still ongoing

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Do you know which wires are bad? If a harness is shorting out you need to fix the harness. If its a sensor you need a new sensor. The ghetto rig may work for a while but you could burn something else out. Thats what fuses are for.

·
Administrator
8,884 Posts
Re: Car won’t start...

You are prepped for a car fire!!!!:surprise:

The fuse protects wiring, hot wires can start burning. You have an issue either with a device or the wiring. This is blowing the fuse.
You now have a "fuse" that will let the wiring overheat.

Knowing which fuse can help determine where to look.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I know trust me this mechanic did it so I can at least get home I only lived like 5 miles away from where it was the fuse that was blowing was for the ignition he showed me the wire harness it does look a bit worn the metal hanger piece was to just get me home thankfully I made it with no issues he even called me after leaving to make sure I wasn’t stranded again has anyone had that kind of problem with the ignition fuse blowing?

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Can you take a pic of the wires he showed you? Its possible your crankshaft sensor wires are exposed causing the fuse to blow, or more likely the coil pack wires might be shorting out or something. A pic would really help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys got a 07 Hyundai tiburon v6 with 107 thousand miles today I went out with it drove fine no issues but when I went back to the car it didn’t start like there was no noise or anything when it was in the start position I took the battery to autozone they checked it and it seemed fine but I still bought a new battery put the new one in and the car still wouldn’t start so I’m sitting here waiting for a mobile mechanic but I’m wondering if anyone else had this sort of issue
Have you tried checking your starter i had the same thing happen to my 06' brand new battery, change all the fuses, had checked the starter at an Autozone and it check out as good, but this day it was the 2nd time it happened, 1st time i switched a fuse and it turned over and crank, but the last time it did it was at my lil brothers house and did all that i could think of and he was like open your hood and turn the key, turned the key and he starts tapping on the starter solenoid and it cranked right up, found out eventhough the starter tested good my solenoid was bad on it and it didnt kick

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YES so oddly enough I tried another 20 amp fuse and it didn’t pop my car turned on even tried it twice I don’t know why the mechanic tried a 30 and a 50 when what was in their was a 20 amp I think he was tryna get one over on me and make me pay 400 for a wire harness

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
It's possible that whatever is causing a short hasn't happened again yet. Chances are it will blow again and leave you stranded unless you figure out what is wrong. Can you show us a pic of the wires the mechanic said were at fault?

·
Registered
354 Posts
the fuse blowing is a shorted wire. shorting the fuse is an emergency fix, not a permanent solution, unless you consider a car fire a permanent solution. it will overheat everything in that circuit like ignition switch or neutral switch or whatever he shorted and it will cost way more later.

Reactions: Akbeast

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep thank you all for the feedback though should I change all the fuses just as a precaution? nothing seems wrong anymore but I’m just thinking start fresh so that nothing will go wrong again in case the previous problem could affect other fuses

·
Registered
354 Posts
Should make no difference by replacing all the fuses, however if any other fuses have been bypassed with wire that's when you will find it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought it would be a good idea to come back to this in case anyone ever has the same issue the end result was it ended up being my starter that was blowing the fuse replaced it and never had an issue since then

1 - 17 of 17 Posts