Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys I just sold my 03 tiburon GT 6 speed to a 16 year old. I just got a phone call from the kid saying it wont go in reverse..... "It stalls and just drift forward, no reverse lights" Now did he break somethng or is he putting it in 6th..... Any Ideas....

EDIT- Let me add that there is a new trans and clutch/flywheel kit in it

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He says hes using the lockout..... Its obviously in A gear...... otherwise it wouldnt stall

·
Registered
599 Posts
Tell him to learn to drive stick!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I think he just needs to learn to drive stick. :p

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so got a call from the parents today. Apparently its legit. It wont go in reverse. Throw out bearing?????? maybe?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
could be throwout bearing, could need pedal free play adjusted, does it go into the other gears smooth?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Smooth 1-6... "feels like something is blocking it to go in reverse"..... Im thinking throw out bearing...anyone thinking the same

EDIT- Worked fine for the last 5k miles with me since the trans was replaced. They had it in reverse, but i stopped going in all of a sudden.

·
Banned
9,129 Posts
the first time i drove a tiburon 6-speed i had no idea how to get it in reverse seeings how the dealer just said here ya go have fun and i went for a drive but when i needed to put it in reverse i was like wtf! so i just opened the door and pushed it back with my foot! haha tell him he needs to watch a youtube video explaining how to drive a 6-speed! lol

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that last quote was from his step dad who does know how to drive it haha

·
and his new kimchi coupe
6,247 Posts
I'd say meet up with the kid at a midpoint and help him out...shouldn't take but a few minutes to see about the issue and make a recommendation for repair. That's what I'd do at least. That is if its a short drive to meet him.

It definitely sounds like these people don't know how to operate a manual shifter with a reverse lockout mech. I'd loosen the shift boot, slide the reverse mechanism out completely and then see if it won't go into gear.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
^^what he said is a great idea. you can unhook it that way or from under the hood and then try getting it in reverse. also if it was the throw out bearing wouldnt the pedal feel funny since the throw out bearing slides during every engagement?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah. Well My job site that I am on starting tonight is only and hour and a half away from him So Im going to run down tomorrow afternoon

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
yeah i know when i got my car, i wasn't used to the 6-speed thing where you have to pull up on the shifter to put it into reverse. I was stuck in a parking lot for like 30 min trying to figure it out lol but i got it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
thats funny, i hope its just the kid being a tard, or you are gonna have to fork over some nice cash.

i learned stick on a saab, so the first thing i do is try to pull up the bottom of the shifter

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
do nothing...did u sell your car with a warranty? nah, like someone else posted, meet him halfway and give it a look....don't leave him under the impression that you're gonna answer the phone every time this dude has a question tho.....

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
thats funny, i hope its just the kid being a tard, or you are gonna have to fork over some nice cash.

i learned stick on a saab, so the first thing i do is try to pull up the bottom of the shifter
why woudl he have to fork over cash? He is in no way liable, unless written somewhere signed
"The reverse gear will work for more than 2 days"

legally he is not a part of the situation at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts