Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cars lights flicker and when I try to start it everything just dies.
My buddy has one of those black and decker battery testers and we used that to get my car running and it said the battery was at full juice and said the alternator was good.
After it was all charged I decided to turn the car off and see if it could start on its own but it couldn't.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? The same thing happened to me a month ago and they took it to Dobbs and they said the alternator was bad so I got a brand new one.

Could a bad ground be causing this or something?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hmmm.....maybe a starter? Does it click?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Well you mentioned if it could be ground related. Check the one on the firewall and the one that is on the alternator. Make sure they aren't corroded.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
it doesnt click unless its hooked up to my buddys battery charger.

it also has 121,XXX miles on it, i dunno if that helps anything.
that might be the problem, it should be 121 followed by 3 numbers not 121 and 3 x's. You may want to get that checked out.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mine died today , it opened by controller dine, then wouldnt start, I had to jump it twice so far, ima see if the s2nd one did anything 2m morning i let it run for liek 20 min

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
that might be the problem, it should be 121 followed by 3 numbers not 121 and 3 x's. You may want to get that checked out.
Your such a noob. That stands for 121 x 10 x 10 x 10 or 121 to the 3rd power. So he has 121,000 miles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
get a new battery. when a car doesnt start.. theres three things to check.. the battery/ alternator, fuel, spark... you can test an alternator by pulling the positive terminal... good luck next time.. if the car stays on its the battery not holding a charge... and the others can be checked by pulling a spark plug.. or wire and seeing if it arches..

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Your such a noob. That stands for 121 x 10 x 10 x 10 or 121 to the 3rd power. So he has 121,000 miles.

OMG!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?

r u serius? is that really what that means?

wow that is neat, i would have never dreamed that is what it meant.

super

seriousli

i am impressed

good stuff man, i am going to bookmark this page so i can remember that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll pretend I don't see 20 people still using "NOOB" on forums. . .

Do yourself a solid and from now on, take a wire brush to the negative terminal of your battery every now and again, wipe it off, tighten the ground till it won't move. . . then get some anti-corrosive spray from your local auto parts store, and spray the outside of the terminal until it's covered.

Your vehicles electrical system needs a good highway to keep the sparks running, and do it's thing right.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
yeah the ground wires were kinda rusty/corroded, hopefully thats the fix everything is runnin now.
You shouldn't have any further problems, just watch that terminal!

Do yourself a solid and from now on, take a wire brush to the negative terminal of your battery every now and again, wipe it off, tighten the ground till it won't move. . . then get some anti-corrosive spray from your local auto parts store, and spray the outside of the terminal until it's covered.

Your vehicles electrical system needs a good highway to keep the sparks running, and do it's thing right.
Yeah this is pretty ridiculous, I'm on like 25 forums and people always feel the need to say something here lol...

Anyway, quoted the above for truth. Keep an eye on your negative battery terminal, as, over time, it will corrode and you need a very good connection there to keep everything running well. I actually helped a buddy with this exact problem on his Tib about a week ago.

Paul

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

i thought people quit saying "do yourself a solid" back in the 70's? the last time i heard that was on that old movie dazed and confused lol.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
i thought people quit saying "do yourself a solid" back in the 70's? the last time i heard that was on that old movie dazed and confused lol.
He's a new member who actually knows good information... probably not a 16-year-old who just got his first car. Not a problem at all in my book...

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
yeah man, telling someone to scrape the corrosion off their battery terminal is right up there with brain surgery. he should stick that valuable information in a book and it would be a best seller. i doubt anyone has ever came up with that before. he just saved millions of cars from the scrap yard with that single post!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts