Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to bid on an cat back system for my 05 v6 tib but I was told that my car wouldnt pass emissions? I live in cali, and I see loads of cars driving around with custom exhaust? could any on fill me in if Id be ok with a catback exhaust or not in CA?
thankx

· Registered
1,861 Posts
Exhaust systems are not illegal in any state. The only thing that you need to make sure of is that you need to have a catalytic converter so that you can pass emmissions inspections.

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Well, I didn't think about the "noise ordinance" factor of the question. It's been my experience that just a catback isn't loud enuff to break that law. Now...if you add headers or dork with the resonator....that's a different story.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
it is in NY.
according to the law here, anything louder then stock (judged by the preciding officer holding the pen).
is illegal... appearently even if I have the dealer install. harley's can be loud, they came that way.
a rusted or broken exhaust should by law be replaced with one of equal sound level.

dont know about cali, thought they'd be tougher actually.
you should be able to look that up on line, thats what i wound up doing.
been through this already... lucky for my *** my brother in law is an officer and i have a one of those nice little badges.... also helps with my lack of a front plate

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Well then, I stand corrected. But of course, I am unsure of any law unless its in the Carolinas.

Plus I did say "should" in my statement....meaning I wasn't really sure. I'm just glad that more accurate facts followed my post.

· Swim away fishes...
6,246 Posts
In regards to the Tiburon, there's 2 things:

1) Smog:
-Any aftermarket exhaust system after the cat is CARB exempt....which takes care of the smog regulations.

2) CA vehicle code:
-The aftermarket exhaust system "noise shall not exceed 95 dB." If you are cited, a local state referee will test the db level and if you're under, it overrides any related police citation. If you're over, you need to quiet it down.

To get an idea NT member "env" was the first to have his exhaust tested and his Mussa was 88dB (link). Once you start tampering with the exhaust manifolds, its starts to really effect the sound levels.

· Registered
4,535 Posts
First, you got an 05. Did you get it brand new? WTF then do whatever the hell you want to it cause you got a whole five years before you have to smog it anyways. Then just go to some lil no name place and pay to get it to pass.

· Swim away fishes...
6,246 Posts
You're welcome. CARB laws and the police are strict, but we do have some wiggle room.

Future biennial smogs aren't the only concern. An officer can pull you over any time he has "probable cause" and shorten that 5-year window of freedom real quick. State ref's won't take a hundred to pass you either.

It's good to know what you can legally have and what you need to hide. :)

· Registered
1,702 Posts
c-man said:
In regards to the Tiburon, there's 2 things:

2) CA vehicle code:
-The aftermarket exhaust system "noise shall not exceed 95 dB." If you are cited, a local state referee will test the db level and if you're under, it overrides any related police citation. If you're over, you need to quiet it down.

To get an idea NT member "env" was the first to have his exhaust tested and his Mussa was 88dB (link). Once you start tampering with the exhaust manifolds, its starts to really effect the sound levels.
Not necessarily

In practice, "excessive exhaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp

· Swim away fishes...
6,246 Posts
Yes, necessarily:
If you are cited, a local state referee will test the db level and if you're under, it overrides any related police citation.
Yes, the officer can site you for whatever he feels like, but that doesn't mean the citation is valid.
Thankfully, the judicial system is in charge of interpreting the laws and overrides some overanxious cop that doesn't like imports.

I've done this, env has done this, and many, many other enthusiasts that visit the state ref's to get their legal exhaust system tested to null the bogus citation they were written.

Cops will use the exhaust as an excuse to check under the hood, hoping there will be an illegal modification on the car that will stick in court.

· Registered
7,136 Posts
ViolentB said:
Exhaust systems are not illegal in any state. The only thing that you need to make sure of is that you need to have a catalytic converter so that you can pass emmissions inspections.
aftermarket anything in massachusetts is illegal if it's not oem it's illegal here..which is crap but i just moved to ct .. they just don't enforce it much..i have relatives that are cops, as for cali i don't know

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Get a 50 state legal exhaust. If a cop bothers you about it, show him the papers saying its legal, then serve him for harrassment and proceed to pwn him in court.

· Swim away fishes...
6,246 Posts
95db is the legal limit for exhaust and as long as your catback and headers are C.A.R.B certified you will be fime in cali.
Jon
No headers are CARB legal for the tiburon at this time and all catbacks are CARB exempt.

· Registered
490 Posts
thats why i have gutted stock headers installed :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.