Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Well my close friend its going to be purchasing a car, under $10 000 (Canadian) and he wants the best for the money. Now I know a Cavalier is not much compared to a Tiburon, but I think its the best car for him, as it would be decent on fuel, sharp and a decent performer.
Now I know they had a 2.4L from 1998 to 2002, then switched to a smaller engine. I heard it was for a more economical efficent etc.
I have not been able to find info with one vs. the other in performance.
It would a 4 spd auto, with less than 60 000 km on it, probably black and alloy rims.
Now what are your guys's openions on these 2 engines? I reccomended the 2.4, becuase its larger.. but does it performe better? Any info much appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2.2L engine is the base model, or you could get a Z24 Cav with the 2.4L engine. I'm guessing the 2.4 is a little more powerful.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey, I own a 2.4 Sunfire right now. I can tell you all about them. There are 2 different 2.2. 1996-2002 they have 2.2 that are rated 115-120. The 2002-2005 have the 2.2 ecotec. The ecotec is kinda like vtec but its GMs brand. If its 2002 and above, you will get the 2.2 ecotec rated at 140hp. The 2.4 I have is rated at 150hp. The ecotec does get better mileage. probably around 3-5mpg than the 2.4. As for performance wise, people debate about this all the time. I would say they're about the same. If he is to do any aftermarket, I would say get the 2.2 ecotec. They have lots of aftermarket on that engine. This engine can be built to 1000hp motor. All I'm saying is this motor is strong and it can handle boost pretty well. If you really want to read more or get more help, visit j-body.org Its a forum dedicated for Sunfire/Cavaliers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what years have what engines.
I just assumed since its .2 bigger, has 10 more hp it had a little more snap and better sound(as much non rice as you can get)
Thanks for the info.
He would not be modifying it besides maybe intake, and some weight loss, thats about it.
Whats 0-60 on the 2.4's anyway?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Bryce said:
I know what years have what engines.
I just assumed since its .2 bigger, has 10 more hp it had a little more snap and better sound(as much non rice as you can get)
Thanks for the info.
He would not be modifying it besides maybe intake, and some weight loss, thats about it.
Whats 0-60 on the 2.4's anyway?
You are not going to get a non-ricey sound out of a cavalier. My GF had a 97 Z24 and we tried to put an exhaust on it, but it made the worst exhaust note I've ever heard so it was quickly removed. Intakes don't sound too bad on it though, but every one we tried hit the hood.Even with poly motor mounts installed. If I were Him I would look into an RD Tib before any J-body.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
xerd said:
The ecotec is kinda like vtec but its GMs brand.
Ecotec is nothing like vtec. Vtec is the name for Hondas valve timing technology. Ecotec is the name of the engine.

·
Registered
898 Posts
99-00 B16 Civic Si. You can find a emmaculate one with decent mileage for a little under 10k. Or a Integra LS. Very strong block, more torque than a Type R or GSR and loves head swaps and turbo kits. My friend has a B20 block/B18C1 head with a custom turbo kit on his integra. It pulls on vettes all day

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i wouldnt drive a cavalier for the life of me....

my gf's sister has one, my tib has more leg space than that thing.... my head has sex with the roof, it sounds like crap, interior SUCKS and is slower than anything you'll find on the road.... not to mention how ugly those cars are....

they have absolutely ZERO appeal to me whatsoever and i could never understand why anyone would waste their money modding one of those things....

sorry for the rant, i just remembered about a cav down here with an ugly bodykit, dual exhaust tips and YELLOW vinyl on a blue car..... so sad....

·
Registered
471 Posts
bluegtv6 said:
Well how about an old Eclipse then? Trust me, friends don't let friends buy cavaliers.
true....but also friends dont let friends buy dsm's! haha amazing cars...when they run.... :3_smile:

·
Registered
130 Posts
CarbonBluetiful said:
Ecotec is nothing like vtec. Vtec is the name for Hondas valve timing technology. Ecotec is the name of the engine.

I stand corrected. I must've read it wrong before. Its the 2.4 ecotec that has the VVT.

As for Performance, 0-60 is about 7.9sec give or take .2 seconds. I believe the ecotec is about the same performance.

The car is decent when it was built in 1995. I say there's probably better cars out there than a sunfire/cavalier.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There would be no modding done to the car, unless he gets it well under 10 grand. HE doesan't an I4 tiburon,as they are too heavy. Maybe an older tibby( minus 2003) if we could actually find a decent looking one. HE doesan't like Civic's or Integras. Maybe a Civic... or a prelude. IF he could find an old Ecplipse this side of Ontario, he might.
I

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
i owned a cavy 2.2 since i was 16 and just traded it on my truck. but the Z24 2.4 do run alot better. more power and engine last longer. but after about 90,000 your gonna need a headgasket. i think i used more anti freeze than gas when i ran that to work and back.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
never EVER buy a qaud 4
it is the worst piece of crap ever to have been massproduced (not counting boyband music)
fact of the mather is ,the 2.4 is too powerfull for its own sake , the engine can not handle the power it puts out so as a result you are going to have to change oil every 3 months ,headgaskest every 6.
go with the 2.2 unles you like swapping engines out .
also , with the 2.4 you need to flush the coolant every year wich doesnt mather because the radiator hoses need to come of in order to swap the engine any way

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
RudyH said:
You can probaly find a Tiburon I4 for around $10,000...you can find a V6 for $14-16,000 Cdn

i payed 7grand US for my tibby , its the 03 so it has the newer body ,inline 4 and about 75K miles

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
My ex-wife and I owned a 2000 Cavalier Z24 (a Canadian one). She still has it now, and it's been rock-solid. Never any major problems on it. It's got about 65,000 kms on it now, and it's still going strong. Just brakes, tires and oil changes. But, she also drives it easily. But it does have some scoot to it.

just my 2-cents

1 - 20 of 28 Posts