Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts...

I just installed a catback exhaust system on my '04 last week. Drove it around for a few days, all's well...retorqued the bolts, still all's well...then during a long drive yesterday, the CEL came on. I let the car sit overnight and ran some errands today, and the light's still on.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Never heard this before. What brand of Exhaust did you get?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hmmm dunno what too tell you except re-check everything make sure everything is tighten up. After that If everything is tighten up Disconect the Negative terminal from the battery for about 5min(Just too make sure) and put it back on. Other than that it could be the Exhaust itself.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, good thought on the battery, I'll go try that.

Dunno how the exhaust itself could really have any effect -- since there're no sensors downstream!

Guess we'll see what happens with the battery. Standby....

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That seems to have done the trick, for now I guess....I should be going out later tonight, so we'll see if it pops up again.

I guess it just comes back down to the "shut up and reboot" method!

Thanks much for the help!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Stimpy2301 said:
That seems to have done the trick, for now I guess....I should be going out later tonight, so we'll see if it pops up again.

I guess it just comes back down to the "shut up and reboot" method!

Thanks much for the help!
Yeah lol ''Shut up and reboot'' lol

Yeah hopefully you wont have the CEL now.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yea, the CEL isn't going to pop up again instantly after disconnecting the neg terminal. It has to go through a few drive cycles. Why didn't you just get it scanned? Instead of trying to guess as to what code it is, what would have been helpful would have been to get it scanned, so you know exactly what is wrong with your car.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do I do that?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Stimpy2301 said:
How do I do that?
First,did it come back up? Now if it does come back up. Take it too your nearest Auto zone and they'll scan it for free. If it hasnt dont even bother. But atleast now you know.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sweet! Didn't know AutoZone does that. Is it only AutoZone or will Advance/Discount Auto Parts do it too? (Those are closer for me.)

And when they scan it, I assume they get some sort of number, that I then could compare to that CEL Listing thread I've seen on here?

I haven't taken the car back out yet since the "Shut Up and Reboot". Will know more later tonight.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Stimpy2301 said:
Sweet! Didn't know AutoZone does that. Is it only AutoZone or will Advance/Discount Auto Parts do it too? (Those are closer for me.)

And when they scan it, I assume they get some sort of number, that I then could compare to that CEL Listing thread I've seen on here?

I haven't taken the car back out yet since the "Shut Up and Reboot". Will know more later tonight.
Dunno about the other place you mention but AutoZone will do it. And yes when they scan it they'll tell you whats throwing the CEL.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just a quick side note on the CEL's I got tired of going to the Murray's and Autozones and whatnot to borrow their scanners and found the orange Actron handheld scanners just like theirs at Meijers for $119. It will read the codes and tell you what they are and erase them them also. The only thing it didn't do was give you realtime engine diagnostics while the engine was running. Well worth the $ imo, as I have 3 cars and a truck that I'm messing with. I'm with carbon bleutiful on the shutup and reboot gig. Anytime I do anything like that thwe neg batt term comes off while I'm doing the work so it can relearn the peramiters when you start it back up.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
just get it checked. I mean seriously reseting ur ECU will clear ur code for 300 miles or less then if its a real problem it comes back. u can get a free scan then there is a whole thread to tell u what ur code mean

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,456 Posts
Just get it scanned. It's probably not even the exhaust, because there's not much you can do wrong there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts