Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first, I got my Injen CAI from r100s on wed. Yea it sounds awsome and performs even better. Now the down side to this is I have about 400 miles on the car since then and I just threw a CEL this morning on my way to work. I have a 06 SE V6 with the Injen CAI and custom Catback exhaust. Anyone know whats up with the CEL. The only thing I can think of is its going to tell me my engine is running lean. I checked everything and it seems ok. Going to use my friends scanner in the morning to see what the code is. Thanks for any input.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Can't tell you anything until you get the code. Autozone also reads the code for free. O'Reilly's too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At work till 0600 tomorrow. I'll check it out tomorrow morning when I get off.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
try new gas and tighten the cap down all the way. The only reason i say this is cuz it happened to me.

Hope this is all it is.

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I put my CAI in, I got a CEL also ... something to do with the MAF ... so I went under the hood, made sure everything was nice and secure, used the reader to clear the error, disconnected the battery, stomped on the brakes a few times, reconnected the battery and I haven't seen another CEL since then.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I got CELs when I first put on my CAI. Now, I haven't had one for well over a year.

Things to check:

Is your MAF in good shape? The parts inside (wires / filaments) are delicate and can break easily.

Is the arrow on the MAF pointing the right way?

Is the MAF clean? A new CAI filter can spray some oil on the MAF. Squirt some cleaning spray on it, mabye hit it with some air in a can.

Do the MAF wires have some slack in them?

Is the MAF oriented the same way it was in the stock config.

I had to extent the wires on mine to get some slack and still get the MAF at the right angle.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
i wouldnt worry to much. i got a few cels after i intalled my sri, but i havent had any for prolly 3-5k.(btw my car has 9k on it). so thats equates to over a year

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
Yeah it's probably po151 car run lean bank 2. Alot of people with Injen SRI and CAI seems to get it. I had it for a while but I cleaned the MAF sensor needle with some CRC electronic cleaner spray and drove around a while and the ecu seemed to get used to it and not throw CELs after a couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Just ordered my Injen SRI so I'll make sure to check all these things and hopefully avoid a CEL.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
yellowtibby said:
Yeah it's probably po151 car run lean bank 2. Alot of people with Injen SRI and CAI seems to get it. I had it for a while but I cleaned the MAF sensor needle with some CRC electronic cleaner spray and drove around a while and the ecu seemed to get used to it and not throw CELs after a couple thousand miles.
Yeah I got that also, honestly I just had it cleared and it never showed again. That was a year ago.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What Yellow Tibby said. The oil from the filters coat the MAF. This has been beaten to death, there are threads in the Hyundai tech section arbout this.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE...I ran the codes today on my way into work...im Lean in the 1st and 2nd bank. So yea its obviouse im running lean...what is the best way to stop throwing this CEL for this stupid reason...and dont say reset the computer...it doesnt work...I tried it the other day...it throws the CEL again in a few days.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
PANAXRX said:
UPDATE...I ran the codes today on my way into work...im Lean in the 1st and 2nd bank. So yea its obviouse im running lean...what is the best way to stop throwing this CEL for this stupid reason...and dont say reset the computer...it doesnt work...I tried it the other day...it throws the CEL again in a few days.
Clean your MAF sensor.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How would I go about cleaning the sensor? Like take the intake all apart and clean it or what? (you can tell I have never had this issue before).

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
PANAXRX said:
How would I go about cleaning the sensor? Like take the intake all apart and clean it or what? (you can tell I have never had this issue before).
Take your MAF out and CAREFULLY clean the two thin metal bars in the center with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Again be very careful, it's easy to damage and it's an expensive sensor.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I'll do it tomorrow when I wake up from my long night here at work...booo...maybe I'll pull it in the bay at work here tonight and do it...hmmm....

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
how come ive had 2 aem cais on 2 different tibs , and bluegtv6 has had prolly 4 different aem's on his tib and neither of us has had this happen ?

im not trying to be an a$$ im just curious what ive done different

1 - 20 of 51 Posts