Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, here's the deal:

On the 21, I had my oil changed by the local hyundai dealership, no problems.

On the 24th, my CEL light came on, after approx. 250 km's of having the oil change done. I disconnected my negative battery terminal, and the light went away.

today, after approx. 250 km's driving since pulling the neg cable, the light came back on. I checked to make sure there was oil, which the is, and I also tightened the gas cap, thinking that it was causing the CEL. Tomorrow I plan to return to the dealership as I think it's something they did when they changed the oil, but does anyone have any clue what it might be?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i see u have an intake, check the maf and such. also get the code read. if you can give us the code we can give the answer quickly

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummm, mine is the 2003 so I don't think I have a MAF? Also, the only way to get the code is by the dealership right?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
autozone, pep boys, all those type stores should be able to read ur code for u. Yeah im not sure on i4 and the maf thing but 03 V6 had maf sensors. Its a black, plastic, circle pipe with a screen in it and wires running to it. the pipe part is probably no more than 3 inches long

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I have no MAF on mine. I'M gonna go back to the dealership that changed the oil since the problem only started after they f*cked with it

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
make sure and get a copy of the code so we can know and so u can look it up on ur own. some of the dealers around here i wouldnt put it past them to run the code, lie and say ur intake is causing the code, charge to u to "fix" the code and it be some little detail somewhere else

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back from the dealership. Apparantly my third cylinder is misfiring. The service manager says I need to change plugs and wires, and suggests doing them all at once (Obviously)

According to my bill, at was code number P0303

So I guess I need plugs and wires, I will do the work myself, but what kind of plugs and wires should I get? Also, If I keep driving my car like this for like a week or two, and I doing any dammage?

Other than changing the plugs, could something else cause that code?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was only on 1 sylinder for me so I don't think I have the same problem as in the link. Anyone else with ideas?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
this really should go in a different forum. but for that code look it up and that will tell you where the problem lies

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
phlash said:
this really should go in a different forum. but for that code look it up and that will tell you where the problem lies
Ummm we already found out what the code is for???

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
You have a miss fire..just like the dealer told you. I recomend you dont use ANY other plug then the OEM. NGK or Champion. You will see no gain by running platnium...we get them at the dealer all the time and they seem to fail faster when the car is not set up to run it....dont ask me..just does.

You need to find out whats wrong. The dealer told you plug wires? How many miles are on your car?

You can go with OEM plugs and OEM wires or NOLOGY Hotwires or cool wires....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fixer said:
You have a miss fire..just like the dealer told you. I recomend you dont use ANY other plug then the OEM. NGK or Champion. You will see no gain by running platnium...we get them at the dealer all the time and they seem to fail faster when the car is not set up to run it....dont ask me..just does.

You need to find out whats wrong. The dealer told you plug wires? How many miles are on your car?

You can go with OEM plugs and OEM wires or NOLOGY Hotwires or cool wires....
Thanks for the info! The stock stuff should do me fine, is there much benefit to running the hotwires or cool wires? Also, do you think I can get by with just plugs? The car has about 55000 km's on it. Also, this might sound like a dumb question, but they reset the code on it, so when I do change the plugs and wires, which I plan to do myself, how will I know if the problem is fixed, I mean I don't even notice the misfire as it is now?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
if you dont notice it...I'm going to guess that you have a plug issue. You can mess up your CAT if you keep running with a missfire.

Pull the wires out..if you see something that looks like "lightning" on your wire boot, then you need wires...you'll probably see black lines on the plugs....

some say that you wont see any change with the Nology stuff..I personaly did. I have a V6. If you want prices on them, let me know.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you say lightning, do you mean like cracks on them?

I'd love a PM on the wires anyway though, I may just go ahead with them...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right on thanks!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I changed the plugs and checked the wires. They looked fine, but the light came back on today. I guess I'll be changing the wires tomorrow...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts