Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Fujita CAI and have thrown a CEL 3 times. Once, after I first put it on. I popped the negative battery cable and all was well. The second time, the CEL was on for a couple hundred miles and then went away, and then the third time was just a couple days ago. Is my car actually running lean or is my MAF just thinking it is? Can I damage my engine by ignoring the CEL and continually driving it? I throw 4 codes. P0171 and P0174, and then the same codes with a PD behind them only the P and D are small letters and are diagonal from one another. What do these PD codes stand for?

I took the CAI off the first time and totally reinstalled it so I doubt I have a vacuum leak. I think my MAF is just acting up.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Look inside the MAF,,,,and make sure that you see 2 little prongs (they look like light bulb filaments)
If you don't see 2 prongs,,,then you need a new MAF +$200

If you do see both prongs,,try q-tip + rubbing alcohol to clean it off,,,keep a light hand.

is your car acting funny too ? any weird side effects ?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The PD means pending, if i remember correctly. It means the ECU logged thosetrouble codes, but it needs to see the condition again to throw a CEL. Everytime i get a car in the shop with these codes, I just clean the MAF, and all is usually well. Once in a while, the car will need a new MAF, but with a CAI, your MAF is probably jus dirty. Do you oil you CAI?

And yes, you're car is running lean. The computer is "seeing" less air past your MAF, so it pulls some fuel, but your A/F sensor is seeing a lean condition since there is actually more air in the cylinder.

·
Registered
514 Posts
tibguy03 said:
I have the Fujita CAI and have thrown a CEL 3 times. Once, after I first put it on. I popped the negative battery cable and all was well. The second time, the CEL was on for a couple hundred miles and then went away, and then the third time was just a couple days ago. Is my car actually running lean or is my MAF just thinking it is? Can I damage my engine by ignoring the CEL and continually driving it? I throw 4 codes. P0171 and P0174, and then the same codes with a PD behind them only the P and D are small letters and are diagonal from one another. What do these PD codes stand for?

I took the CAI off the first time and totally reinstalled it so I doubt I have a vacuum leak. I think my MAF is just acting up.
Havnt seen you in a while. Check the new Md. Thread (props to me lol). Are you comming to the Richmond meet? Ok sorry for jackin the thread.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have no side affects of the CEL. I just don't understand how the car can go from running pig rich stock to lean with a CAI. I don't oil my CAI. The weird thing is I'd bet $50 that if I put the stock box back on I'd never have another problem.

I will think about the Richmond meet. It's probably all going to depend on how draining Thursday and Friday will be. You can find me camping out somewhere for a PS3.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Go the dealer or a auto zone etc and have them clear the code. I had the same codes a bit ago and never came back after they cleared them.

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
do you have any intake manifold mods?

i threw both of those codes, but it had nothing to do w/ my intake as i previously thought. there was actually a small vacum leak in cyl1 and cyl2 due to my upper intake manifold seperating a bit from my lower. i drove like that for over a year b/c once i cleared the cel it wasnt enough to throw another one b/c the primary o2 could make up the difference w/o going out of bounds. go to autozone and get two things. 1 CRC brake cleaner. 2. CRC Maf Cleaner. dont use a q-tip to clean the thing. use CRC Maf clearner. much safe. try that. additionally, w/ the motor running, spray the seal between your upper and lower intake and your lower and block. also between your TB and upper. see if the engine idles rough. if it does.... vacuum leak. also make sure the hoses from your bank1 pcv is still connected to ur intake.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only mods to my car so far are the intake and an exhaust. And as luck would have it, the CEL went out last night. Since the car is actually running lean when the CEL is on I'm still concerned about long term damage to my engine. I drive this car 100 miles every day to and from work so when the CEL comes on it's been on for 500-800 miles at a time. Should I just take the intake off and put the stock box back on until I have time to fool with it? I wish I had a stinking fuel tuner so I could see what is actually going on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
There is a HUGE thread about this under Hyundai tech. Search for PO171 and 174. Alot of people have had this issue. If you just installed this CAI, I am betting that if you get some SPRAY electronics cleaner that leaves no residue, spray both sides of the MAF wires, and reassemble everything air tight this will go away. Likely cause is oil from the filter coated the MAF. Had this happen to me, I sprayed, reassembled, and it has NEVER returned in over a year.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
I cleaned the maf and never had the problem again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts