Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a long-shot question but hopefully I will get some hits to this query.

Any of you folks living in NC/SC know any place that will ceramic coat some SSA Headers?
Next question....anyone in the same area know some place that can port/polish an upper and lower Intake Manifold for V6 Tib?

I would prefer to have a reputable shop do these so that I don't get ripped off and end up with a crummy finished product. If I have to, I can send them off out of state but I prefer not to just so I can save some $$$ on shipping etc.

I have just gotten some SSA V2 headers (Thanks to Firebug!!) and I need them ceramic coated.
I got a stock upper and lower IM off EBAY many moons ago and have been sitting on them until I had the time and $$$ to do something with them. I was going to use them as my core when I bought a Stage IV from NGM (MEGA $$$$$$$$), but I think I would like to go a different route and see what I can come up with....especially with this SSA Stage V IM fiasco looming. The SSA IM is tempting, but I would need a lower IM porting anyway so what the heck!

Thanks folks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
don’t polish the intake manifold only port match the rougher the better, the polishing is done on the exhaust side of the head only

And remember that bigger intake runners isn’t always better it reduce air velocity at high revs, witch is bad for an N/A engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I didn't know that actually. Very helpful! Thanks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,879 Posts
You can either search for some where local to you... or you could send them out to Jet Hot....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
Hey Siayan - congrats on the headers - you got a great deal on em - although you might want to hit up this guy, who I happen to know still has the SSA already-coated headers, and might cut you a deal - offer him $330 shipped / sell yers for what you paid (easy) - and then you get the ceramic coating for $100...

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79055&highlight=volcom

(his name is Chris) - Just a thought man...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,782 Posts
blackshark said:
don’t polish the intake manifold only port match the rougher the better, the polishing is done on the exhaust side of the head only

And remember that bigger intake runners isn’t always better it reduce air velocity at high revs, witch is bad for an N/A engine.
Don't know about your reasoning there...

I understand you are saying leave the intake runners rough to better atomize the fuel, but it's going to cause a lot more turbelence than it will do go. Especially because we don't have a carb setup, we have port injection, so any effects from leaving the runners rough will be very small.

If I were you polish those runners (like Nextgen does). And in the case of NA, bigger in this case is better. The intake manifold quickly becomes a flow limitation with i/h/e. It would be tough to port the stock intake runners to a point where they would have a negative effect on performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK...now I am confused. Let's get this straight.

I am going to stay NA so I need to get the intake (both upper and lower) ported out (have the walls shaved thinner). Right??

Now. do I want the insides rough or smooth? Polished or not? I may post a new thread on this just to get a wider audience. Whaddya think?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Malogus said:
Don't know about your reasoning there...

I understand you are saying leave the intake runners rough to better atomize the fuel, but it's going to cause a lot more turbelence than it will do go. Especially because we don't have a carb setup, we have port injection, so any effects from leaving the runners rough will be very small.

If I were you polish those runners (like Nextgen does). And in the case of NA, bigger in this case is better. The intake manifold quickly becomes a flow limitation with i/h/e. It would be tough to port the stock intake runners to a point where they would have a negative effect on performance.
I dont feel like justifing myself !!! why should I
BTW did you looked at the last pics that T.C posted "sry T.C"
Maybe T.C polishes the intakes just so ppl wont come back to say they whant them polish because polishin gives power... at least on the exausts ports

Better tell him to polish is ports he's loosing power lol

Read this I did the Motoman porting method on my winter beater and it worked fine gained at least 223565whp on my but dyno at 6000rpm the secret is velocity, at high rpm the chamber is filed twice as much

motoman said:
SuperSonicNozzle

high velocity porting does cause the airflow to reach and even exceed supersonic speed, and the "nozzle" causes the port to not gain any more flow at that point in the cycle. The flow is momentarily restricted, but it's important to note that that doesn't mean it stops flowing air !!

When the port velocity slows to below supersonic, and the piston is returning up again, the charging effect overcomes the loss created by the dreaded
SuperSonicNozzle !!

The overall effect is a net gain in cylinder filling over the intake period.

http://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm

Sorry I got to go to bed my momy is calling me
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,782 Posts
Blackshark you are an idiot. He isn't talking about porting the head, he is talking about porting and polishing the intake manifold. There is a big difference there. Yes on a head you don't want to open up the ports as big as possible, because you will lose intake air velocity and lose power at the same time.

Before you pretend like you know what you are talking about, maybe you should learn how to read and understand the difference between a intake manifold and the intake ports on a head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Wow you got an huge E-pen!s bravo:3_smile: but do you know how to use it?

No need to call me names it's not because you are an idiot that every body else is one ok boy. Disrespect wont get you very far with me.
Now that it's settle, explain to me why it is so pertinant to polish the intake manifold and not the head ports
I see the need for it in F/I but not on N/A engines the way I see it the less the air stick on the sides the better it is and the more velocity and enertia it has.
I would love to get T.C's point on this but I'm affraid that "the man" will drag me in the dirt
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,782 Posts
blackshark said:
Wow you got an huge E-pen!s bravo:3_smile: but do you know how to use it?

No need to call me names it's not because you are an idiot that every body else is one ok boy. Disrespect wont get you very far with me.
Now that it's settle, explain to me why it is so pertinant to polish the intake manifold and not the head ports
I see the need for it in F/I but not on N/A engines the way I see it the less the air stick on the sides the better it is and the more velocity and enertia it has.
I would love to get T.C's point on this but I'm affraid that "the man" will drag me in the dirt
First, your article was around porting the heads to the point where they become less effective because you have removed so much material that the velocity of the air is actually slowed down to the point you lose power. I didn't read the whole article because it was poorly written, but I didn't see much to do with polishing.

After porting the intake runners, you could leave them rough, which would cause lots of turbulence in the runners themselves. In early model cars (not early model tibs, but cars in general) this might have had some benefit, as it would better atomize the fuel. You have to remember, alot of early-model cars did not have port injection, but throttle body injection. They would use the entire length of the runner to atomize the fuel completely. Even then, I don't think it was common practice to leave the runners rough to help atomize the fuel.

On newere model cars with port injection, I can't see rough runners helping at all. By polishing the runners you will be reducing the amount of air turbulence, and effectively increasing the velocity of the air flowing into the head. This will not only help on NA cars, but even on f/i applications as well.

TC both ports and polishes his stage 3 intake manifolds for better flow. As for his heads, he doesn't port them out as big as he possibly can, but has a CC program that strategically removes material on both intake and exhaust ports for the best flow, not the biggest ports (as it should be done).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
personally I'm gonna go with what Malogus says, seeing as how he has one of the most powerful NA delta's around.

I had a question about getting the manifolds ported and polished. If I were to take it to a local machine shop what exactly do I tell them? do I have to tell them how much to shave off or will they know by looking at it? Also how much money should I expect to drop to have the upper and lower P&Ped and matched? Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Malogus said:
After porting the intake runners, you could leave them rough, which would cause lots of turbulence in the runners themselves. In early model cars (not early model tibs, but cars in general) this might have had some benefit, as it would better atomize the fuel. You have to remember, alot of early-model cars did not have port injection, but throttle body injection. They would use the entire length of the runner to atomize the fuel completely. Even then, I don't think it was common practice to leave the runners rough to help atomize the fuel.

On newere model cars with port injection, I can't see rough runners helping at all. By polishing the runners you will be reducing the amount of air turbulence, and effectively increasing the velocity of the air flowing into the head. This will not only help on NA cars, but even on f/i applications as well.

TC both ports and polishes his stage 3 intake manifolds for better flow. As for his heads, he doesn't port them out as big as he possibly can, but has a CC program that strategically removes material on both intake and exhaust ports for the best flow, not the biggest ports (as it should be done).
Humm :3_frusty: I't makes sense
Guess I'll have to test this theory some more on my W/B
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top