Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here's the deal, this is my setup (V6)

AEM CAI - DC Sport Headers - Magnaflow Resonator - Borla Catback.

I HATE MY MAGNAFLOW...

I chose my Borla exhaust because it was not loud, and now with the new resonator every time i start my car i'm setting off alarms. The other dilemma (my major gripe about it) is ever since i installed it, i lossed all of my low end power and when i get to 4k rpms it's incredibly raspy.

I installed the magnaflow because i had a large leak in my stock resonator. I figured instead of welding it i would go ahead free up the restriction and get a higher flowing one.

So now i'm thinking of removing the resonator and getting a high flow cat. My fear is losing power.

What do you guys think? What are my other options?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
well a fuel tuner will get you back that low end power, and i have that exact combo minus the magniflow resinator, i just got the intake, dc headers and borla catback. i have no rasp, so im guessin thats all commin from the magniflow resinator, my recomendatoin is to get rid of it, and go to a highflow cat

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I wouldn't change my entire exhaust. A highflow cat would really help you out.

Magnaflow / Carsound eBay.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You have rasp, because you have headers and no cat, correct? Put on a high flow cat and the rasp will go away. Losses will be minimal to none. Keep the magnaflow resonator or get a fat hi flow muffler welded onto your exhaust as well to keep down the volume. And you lost your lowend because of the headers, your powerband is changed around because of it. If you want to scavenge it back, get a tune

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alot guys.. i have the mafterburner lying around here just need to get it installed. I was expecting the power decrease in my low end with the headers, and i did notice it (wasn't really that big a deal) but when the resonator was put in, boom lost it all.

I want to make sure i'm understanding what you guys are saying, besides the obvious of getting a tune. I should keep the magnaflow resonator AND add the highflow or should i get rid of it and add a high flow cat?

What size is it that i should order 2.25 right?

05GT i'm not sure what you posted there... Is that the name of a seller on ebay because i can't seem to find him?

·
Registered
939 Posts
The front of the Borla cat back is 2.25"

So, like others have said, install that MAFterburner, toss in a high flow cat, get a dyno tune, and enjoy.

Um... what is a resonator?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
GaTo said:
thanks alot guys.. i have the mafterburner lying around here just need to get it installed. I was expecting the power decrease in my low end with the headers, and i did notice it (wasn't really that big a deal) but when the resonator was put in, boom lost it all.

I want to make sure i'm understanding what you guys are saying, besides the obvious of getting a tune. I should keep the magnaflow resonator AND add the highflow or should i get rid of it and add a high flow cat?

What size is it that i should order 2.25 right?

05GT i'm not sure what you posted there... Is that the name of a seller on ebay because i can't seem to find him?

2.5"
Nah, that's the name of what you're seaching for. Magnaflow or Carsound Catalytic Converters.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Get a Magnaflow cat,,,the resonators aren't gonna get rid of rasp by itself

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Was just reading the borla website and it says

-304 Stainless Steel Cat-Back™ System
Borla Performance Industries is proud to announce the release of a Cat-Back™ system (PN 140064) for a more exhilarating driving experience in a 2003-04 Hyundai Tiburon GT equipped with a 2.7L V6 engine and automatic or manual transmission. The 140064 installs to the factory flange located just after the catalytic converter and is made from full aircraft-quality T-304 stainless steel (superior to T-409 or aluminized steel). This system consists of a 24” oval front muffler connecting to a 2.25” intermediate pipe and y-pipe ] splitting into dual 2” pipes. At the very rear on each side of the vehicle are 10” long 5” diameter “S” style mufflers and split rear 4” Borla embossed, single round, rolled edge, angle-cut tips. R&D testing has shown this system flows up to 288 cfm more than the factory exhaust.

So i should go with a 2.25 high flow cat right? Anyone else with the borla exhaust have a high flow? What size did u go with it. Correct me if i'm wrong... Also Mid-West this is the part that i'm talking about that was switched out for the magnaflow. They told me it's called the resonator?

So if i'm keeping the magnaflow where does the hi-flow cat go?

I'm confused here.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what do you guys think?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
??????????????????

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Hi-flow cat gets welded into your s-pipe of the headers.. I just got one welded in for my Mussa/DC Headers combo.. It gets rid of the rasp big time, cept there's still some sound, so I'm thinking about getting a quiter exhaust, or CC inserts..

It only costs $55 for the cat, and $30 - $60 depending on the shop, to get it welded in.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks cold... What size did you get 2.25?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see... I'm confused.. Isn't the diameter of the piping coming from the headers 2.25"? How are you guys getting the 2.5's on there? Are they pinching the metal or something to get a good seal?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The Borla center (front) muffler is the biggest in the business, so removing it for the Magnaflow was really a downgrade in the sound suppression category. The only way the Magnaflow would've benefitted is if the perforated core in the Magnaflow was different from the Borla such that extra frequencies not normally suppressed by the Borla alone were removed.

To get rid of the rasp, you NEED to get a catalytic converter. There are many options, though Magnaflow/Carsound and Eastern are the cheapest solutions (though not the most free flowing, but certainly better than stock).

Finally, if you had good low end before the Magnaflow muffler, but lost it after, that means the Magnaflow freed up a restriction that was previously present in your exhaust tract. Did you go straight from the stock center muffler to the Magnaflow? Cause if so then of course you made things more free flowing, which in turn shifts the meat of your power band higher up in the RPM range (less noticeable of a low-end kick).

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GET 1T DONE said:
The Borla center (front) muffler is the biggest in the business, so removing it for the Magnaflow was really a downgrade in the sound suppression category. The only way the Magnaflow would've benefitted is if the perforated core in the Magnaflow was different from the Borla such that extra frequencies not normally suppressed by the Borla alone were removed.

To get rid of the rasp, you NEED to get a catalytic converter. There are many options, though Magnaflow/Carsound and Eastern are the cheapest solutions (though not the most free flowing, but certainly better than stock).

Finally, if you had good low end before the Magnaflow muffler, but lost it after, that means the Magnaflow freed up a restriction that was previously present in your exhaust tract. Did you go straight from the stock center muffler to the Magnaflow? Cause if so then of course you made things more free flowing, which in turn shifts the meat of your power band higher up in the RPM range (less noticeable of a low-end kick).
I see what you are saying. I went from the Borla Front Center Muffler (not the stock) to the Magnaflow because the borla was cracked. So i think what i'm going to do is call up borla and find out how much it would be to purchase another center muffler. I'll compare this price to a high flow cat and decide between the two.

My other dilemma is that i am going F/I (pending getting around to installing my alpine) so i might be going to a single custom exhaust in the end. Hmmm...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts