Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my 2006 SE in February of 2008 with just over 9,000 miles on the odometer for $15k. The local Subaru dealership had parked it on the front row trying to offload it for nearly a year before I dropped in to test drive it. I was able to talk the price down because I knew they couldn't sell it and drove it off the lot that same day. So here we are today with 135,000 miles on the odometer.

Chase206's Clapped Out Sh*tbox

I wasn't involved in the Tiburon community or really any modding up until about 2019 or so... I ended up taking a deep dive into the engine bay and into chiptuning, but not much for aesthetic modifications aside from a badge swap.

Current Mods:

• Borla Catback
  • Ebay SSAv2 Clone Headers w/ 1.5" Primaries
  • DEI Header Wrap
  • Ported 40mm Lower Intake (Stage 4)
  • Ported 40mm Upper Intake (Stage 3)
  • AEM CAI w/ K&N Large Filter
  • Tuned 03/04 5WY17 ECU For I/H/E & 7300 RPM Limit
  • AEM LSU4.9 Wideband Kit
  • Achilles ATR Sport 2 Tires
  • KYB Struts w/ Eibach Lowering Springs
  • DC Sports Strut Braces
  • DNA Motoring Aluminum Radiator (Mishimoto/Koyorad clone)
  • BRD Red Poly Engine Mounts

Future F/I & Supporting Mods:

• Alpine Supercharger MP62 Stage 2 Kit (Mostly complete x2)
  • Port & Polish the Alpine Upper Intake
  • NGM Adjustable CAM Gears
  • NGM 6.5" Lower Pulley For Stage 3
  • Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
  • SPEC Stage 3+ Rigid Disc
  • Hotshots Equal Length Headers w/ 1.63" Primaries
  • MAF Voltage Divider/Extender
  • XG350 BBK Upgrade
  • 58mm Throttle Body
  • Relocate GM IAT In Lower Intake
  • 255LPH or 320LPH Fuel Pump
  • Return Fuel System Conversion
  • AEM FPR
  • Custom Tuned ECU
  • BC1300 Valve Springs

Chiptuning:

I took over Elricdelyon's chiptuning project in hopes of reviving DIY tuning for this platform. I've made significant progress on it and with some solid documentation I think we'll have an open source solution to share with everyone this year. I'll be posting more info on my sites here and maybe some updates in this thread:
https://opengk.org/
https://chase.cc/blog/chiptuning-the-gk-2-7-ecm/

Instagram: @chase206.nw

Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
馃槷 your car looks identical to mine! Now i have to do something different.....
I don't think you've ever shared a pic of your car! You should create a member profile or send me a pic in a private message so we can divert our exterior looks haha.

Why did you change the Radiator?
The OEM radiator was leaking and needed to be replaced. As it turns out the Mishimoto/Koyorad knockoff radiator was only $110 and cools way better than the OEM. The all aluminum radiator is necessary for boosted applications so it was a logical move anyway.

Registered
I don't think you've ever shared a pic of your car! You should create a member profile or send me a pic in a private message so we can divert our exterior looks haha.
not true lol

I never made a member profile, but I did share pics from our trip to the dragons tail. I should do a members profile though. Since that trip, I did the bottom lip in black like yours LMAO. No worries though, I have some other things planned for it when my other projects are done.

Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks clean any idea what hp u got atm?
N/A I'd say about 190WHP. It's got tiny headers so I'm probably losing a bit of the top end peak power. Once the Stage 2 supercharger is in, it will be around 250-260WHP

Reactions: 03tibgts

Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting so what did guys like 98tib and mag do for the extra 20-30 HP? You seem almost full n/a also 98tib had stock ecu
I'm as far as I can go N/A without bigger headers or larger cams. The modified ECU definitely helps broaden the power band and bring up the peak a little bit. I'm also only estimating 190WHP to be conservative because of variances in dynos. I'm sure a dream killer like Dyno Dynamics will throw low numbers at me like 180WHP but a DynoJet would throw numbers in the 190-195WHP range.

I don't know 98tib's or mag's builds. Did they provide a build list and dyno sheet?

It's a little more than 20-30WHP gained. You need to remember that from the factory we only have 140WHP at the wheels after drivetrain loss (172BHP advertised at the crank). Since we only measure power at the wheels on a chassis dyno we ignore the crank figures. Calculating BHP is just a guessing game using made up power loss numbers to factor in a "correction" and it's at the whim of the Dyno operator. You can have two completely different results from two different dynos. Example being two similarly setup cars with full bolt-ons and a stock ECU clocking in at 176WHP on a Dyno Dynamics then the other clocking in at 186WHP on a DynoJet. I've also seen the same 186WHP DynoJet car on a different DynoJet a few cities away clock in at 198WHP. It all depends on the dyno, dyno operator and their configuration unfortunately.

Have a look at SelfMadeDIY's video where he broke 200WHP with a DynoJet. His motor is opened up A LOT. He went overkill on everything and managed to get it to breath really well when it's wide open. I think he's tuning with an Apexi NEO or SAFC-II though. Because he chose DynoJet his numbers are pumped up a little bit compared to Dyno Dynamics or Mustang brand dynos.

Reactions: Rushking19

Registered
I'm as far as I can go N/A without bigger headers or larger cams. The modified ECU definitely helps broaden the power band and bring up the peak a little bit. I'm also only estimating 190WHP to be conservative because of variances in dynos. I'm sure a dream killer like Dyno Dynamics will throw low numbers at me like 180WHP but a DynoJet would throw numbers in the 190-195WHP range.

I don't know 98tib's or mag's builds. Did they provide a build list and dyno sheet?

It's a little more than 20-30WHP gained. You need to remember that from the factory we only have 140WHP at the wheels after drivetrain loss (172BHP advertised at the crank). Since we only measure power at the wheels on a chassis dyno we ignore the crank figures. Calculating BHP is just a guessing game using made up power loss numbers to factor in a "correction" and it's at the whim of the Dyno operator. You can have two completely different results from two different dynos. Example being two similarly setup cars with full bolt-ons and a stock ECU clocking in at 176WHP on a Dyno Dynamics then the other clocking in at 186WHP on a DynoJet. I've also seen the same 186WHP DynoJet car on a different DynoJet a few cities away clock in at 198WHP. It all depends on the dyno, dyno operator and their configuration unfortunately.

Have a look at SelfMadeDIY's video where he broke 200WHP with a DynoJet. His motor is opened up A LOT. He went overkill on everything and managed to get it to breath really well when it's wide open. I think he's tuning with an Apexi NEO or SAFC-II though. Because he chose DynoJet his numbers are pumped up a little bit compared to Dyno Dynamics or Mustang brand dynos.
Oh I meant they had 20-30 more but it might be because more AM support back in the day here was his build Dyno tested

Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I meant they had 20-30 more but it might be because more AM support back in the day here was his build Dyno tested

The aftermarket might not be great now but we understand a lot more than we did back then. Again I only say 190WHP to be conservative. If I try to claim bigger numbers I'll get a lot of flak for not having a dyno sheet to back that up. I've sent a tuning dev kit to someone with access to a Dyno Dynamics and I'm helping remote tune their car. Hopefully we'll have a real dyno sheet to back up some of my recent claims.

98tib has custom cams and the big stage IV intake with shorter runners. It can flow a lot more above the peak RPM compared to a stage III intake ported OEM intake. The power band is moved up near redline of 6800 with that stage IV. A ported OEM to stage III will flow nearly as much air as the stage IV except the power band peaks earlier around 4500-5000 then falls on it's face due to the longer intake runner length. If 98tib had unlocked his rev limiter he probably would have made power all the way out to 7300 no problem. Honestly for a "tuned" AFR (presumably with a piggyback) AND that parts list he should have made more like 210-220WHP especially on a DynoJet.

Reactions: 03tibgts

Registered
The aftermarket might not be great now but we understand a lot more than we did back then. Again I only say 190WHP to be conservative. If I try to claim bigger numbers I'll get a lot of flak for not having a dyno sheet to back that up. I've sent a tuning dev kit to someone with access to a Dyno Dynamics and I'm helping remote tune their car. Hopefully we'll have a real dyno sheet to back up some of my recent claims.

98tib has custom cams and the big stage IV intake with shorter runners. It can flow a lot more above the peak RPM compared to a stage III intake ported OEM intake. The power band is moved up near redline of 6800 with that stage IV. A ported OEM to stage III will flow nearly as much air as the stage IV except the power band peaks earlier around 4500-5000 then falls on it's face due to the longer intake runner length. If 98tib had unlocked his rev limiter he probably would have made power all the way out to 7300 no problem. Honestly for a "tuned" AFR (presumably with a piggyback) AND that parts list he should have made more like 210-220WHP especially on a DynoJet.
I assumed you were being modest on HP haha.

You are probably right the other guy dynod at 210 I believe

Registered
On their threads they do mention Koreans had access to parts we did not due to obvious reasons. Unless it changed eventually the na record in the USA was 210 HP and Korea was 223hp.

Now I'd assume chase is right that we know more now about how to unlock full potential so would be interesting to see someone break those barriers.

I can't tell you how many looks and complements I've gotten since I've bought this car you really don't see them on the road at all anymore. Everyone is in challenger, chargers, mustangs or vettes now.

We are truly the last of a dying breed here and idk about you guys but it makes me feel obligated to go hard on the mods and show some of these american muscle cars who's boss lmao.

Registered
On their threads they do mention Koreans had access to parts we did not due to obvious reasons. Unless it changed eventually the na record in the USA was 210 HP and Korea was 223hp.

Now I'd assume chase is right that we know more now about how to unlock full potential so would be interesting to see someone break those barriers.

I can't tell you how many looks and complements I've gotten since I've bought this car you really don't see them on the road at all anymore. Everyone is in challenger, chargers, mustangs or vettes now.

We are truly the last of a dying breed here and idk about you guys but it makes me feel obligated to go hard on the mods and show some of these american muscle cars who's boss lmao.
Yeah the Stock internals na record in the us is 210+whp , and in Korea its 220+whp . But the highest record na motor I know of was out of Canada out of a set of three tiburon track cars originally where from the Hyundai Canada race team making 240whp , later bought by fastco Motorsports where the cars where changed a little, the motor later made 265 whp. Two of the cars I know of are in Colorado one still with the v6 naturally aspirated. Then the other was na 2.7l and made 255whp all motor But later went 2.0 turbo. All I know about the engines is that they have 12.5:1 compression and ported heads with cams but idk the cam spec or anything. Crazy enough I have an ported lower manifold off one of these cars spare engines . Engine bay picture of one of the cars . And a pic of the crazy header.

Attachments

Registered
Yeah the Stock internals na record in the us is 210+whp , and in Korea its 220+whp . But the highest record na motor I know of was out of Canada out of a set of three tiburon track cars originally where from the Hyundai Canada race team making 240whp , later bought by fastco Motorsports where the cars where changed a little, the motor later made 265 whp. Two of the cars I know of are in Colorado one still with the v6 naturally aspirated. Then the other was na 2.7l and made 255whp all motor But later went 2.0 turbo. All I know about the engines is that they have 12.5:1 compression and ported heads with cams but idk the cam spec or anything. Crazy enough I have an ported lower manifold off one of these cars spare engines . Engine bay picture of one of the cars . And a pic of the crazy header.
Nice! Sorry chase I hope these topics aren't highjacking your thread. I guess if anything it's probably giving you ideas lol

Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice! Sorry chase I hope these topics aren't highjacking your thread. I guess if anything it's probably giving you ideas lol
Also my bad also didn't mean for the post to go off topic. But hope to see yiur car coming together soon.
You guys are good! I don't mind at all. I think we can hit low to mid 200s with great port work and some trick tuning. Again though, it depends on the dyno because I've seen cars almost identical mods at the same elevation dyno 15WHP apart from each other. It's nuts how many variables there are from dyno to dyno.

Little update from today. I've pulled the motor and it looked like a bomb went off under the car. There is a mess all over the place because of a broken CV boot and worn out shaft seals sprayed grease and gear oil all over. Going in and replacing just about everything that can possibly leak including timing belt, suspension bushings, ball joints, end links, CV axles, input/output shaft seals etc etc. I've asked BRD to build me a poly upper trans mount to make things a little more rigid. If he can't find his template I'm sending him a spare mount to use as a template. It should drive solid like a new car for another 100k miles when it's all said and done.

In 14 years of ownership, I'll be in it for about $3000 in required maintenance (excluding oil changes and power adders). The power adders are approximately another $3500 on top of that.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Registered
Is that the oem oil filter? I read the thread about how rough the tibs can run on anything other than oem or k&n kinda seemed like snake oil to me but any truth there in your opinion?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts