Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have had the car for almost 2 years, now it is time for a better exhaust.
Engine-performance-wise, the only other mod I have is an Injen SRI.
I was looking to spend at most $300 on a good sounding exhaust, I don't really want to spend $600+ on Borla or high-end ones like that.
So I am currently between 4 options:

1. SR•S Exhaust (~$300): Japanese designed, these guys seem to know what they are doing, welds in the pictures looks professional, but couldn't find a review for them on a Tiburon

2. Decent looking no-brand exhaust on Amazon ($180): reviews are not bad, and it looks a bit different from the other 90% of the cat-backs on eBay/Amazon

3. The cheapest cat-back on eBay ($140): what else to say 🤷‍♂️

4. Take it to a muffle shop and see what they have: any idea about prices and quality? is $300 enough?

What do you think guys?

·
Registered
479 Posts
some ppl had good results with ebay exhaust, can't beat the price. check some youtube videos how ebay exhaust sounds on tib.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some ppl had good results with ebay exhaust, can't beat the price. check some youtube videos how ebay exhaust sounds on tib.
I'm worried about dronning with these cheap ones.
eBay ones sound good when revving or at high RPMs,
but couldn't find any one talking about how they are doing 70MPH @ 3,000 RPM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Id say the amazon or better ones, simply because returns and customer service at ebay can be a hassle from what ive experienced.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Where are you located? I have a new OBX catback sitting in my garage that I installed a Hushpower-II resonator on. Never had the ambition to actually install it on my tib. I don't think I really want to deal with shipping it though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
eBay/Amazon off brands will have fitment issues, mine did anyways. The front header downpipe didn't line up correctly so we had to modify some. As for the drone, yes it's bad, really bad with eBay cheap exhuast due to the cans they put on them and to correct mine I put a flowmaster Hushpower 2 where the fake cat on the exhaust was, and later put a cherry bomb chambered m-80 where the crappy resonator that comes on the exhuast. But if your doing cat-back you shouldn't have too much problem with drone/fitment issues so much because the cats do some quieting. As they said look for videos on YouTube for exhaust tones and you may find some you like! Drive safe! Have a good day guys!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is a link to my exhaust tone, couldn't delete a typo post for some reason so I just attached a link. Sorry!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where are you located? I have a new OBX catback sitting in my garage that I installed a Hushpower-II resonator on. Never had the ambition to actually install it on my tib. I don't think I really want to deal with shipping it though.
I am in Dallas, TX area. I believe you are in NY.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
eBay/Amazon off brands will have fitment issues, mine did anyways. The front header downpipe didn't line up correctly so we had to modify some. As for the drone, yes it's bad, really bad with eBay cheap exhuast due to the cans they put on them and to correct mine I put a flowmaster Hushpower 2 where the fake cat on the exhaust was, and later put a cherry bomb chambered m-80 where the crappy resonator that comes on the exhuast. But if your doing cat-back you shouldn't have too much problem with drone/fitment issues so much because the cats do some quieting. As they said look for videos on YouTube for exhaust tones and you may find some you like! Drive safe! Have a good day guys!
Good to know. I am keeping the stock headers and the stock 3rd cat. so hopefully no fitment issues.
What I have in mind is to change the muffler section first, see how I like it. then try to replace the resonator section afterwards.
I am leaning more toward the Amazon one, because of the ease of return/support if anything goes wrong, the reviews about it, and it does look way better built (at least in the pictures) than the eBay ones.
I will probably decide in the next few hours on what to get.
I will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Awesome! If you can please post a video of a sound clip too once installed, I haven't seen those types of exhaust on eBay nor Amazon and I'm curious of how it will sound. They used to have way more exhausts on eBay and Amazon, but in the last couple years they have been dwindling. I got the eBay Catback 2.25 ID with the 4" rolled tips (not the hollow ones that come with silencers) mainly because I don't like the look of a hollow can/muffler with a silencer because it looks too Honda Civic like, but to each their own. Still curious of the sound, Good luck with it all!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im in weatherford texas, tell you what, just since im curious, ill get the ebay one if you get the amazon one since youre leaning that way and we'll meet up one day and compare sound lol. As i see it, if the mufflers suck horribly at least i already have 2.5 inch pipe from the cat back and i can cut them off and weld something else on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im in weatherford texas, tell you what, just since im curious, ill get the ebay one if you get the amazon one since youre leaning that way and we'll meet up one day and compare sound lol. As i see it, if the mufflers suck horribly at least i already have 2.5 inch pipe from the cat back and i can cut them off and weld something else on.

You got it, I bought the Amazon one (y)
Weatherford is a bit far from me, I'm in the Plano, TX

Awesome! If you can please post a video of a sound clip too once installed, I haven't seen those types of exhaust on eBay nor Amazon and I'm curious of how it will sound. They used to have way more exhausts on eBay and Amazon, but in the last couple years they have been dwindling. I got the eBay Catback 2.25 ID with the 4" rolled tips (not the hollow ones that come with silencers) mainly because I don't like the look of a hollow can/muffler with a silencer because it looks too Honda Civic like, but to each their own. Still curious of the sound, Good luck with it all!
I will post a video before and after (cold and warm in both cases)
and I do agree with you on the tip design, I do like the rolled ones more.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, with the magic of Amazon Prime, I just got a notification that the exhaust was just delivered.
I will attempt an installation this weekend. Hopefully the old bolts are not rust-welded.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok so, i been a little busy but you're right Plano is a good distance away, maybe we can work out a middle point one day. If not, we can at least get video comparison of each system for everyone of how the newest Ebay and Amazon catbacks are sounding.

I did order the Ebay one Thursday around 10AM and its scheduled to be here Saturday. If i have the time left in the day, im planning on doing it the day it comes in.

So far we have relearned what we already knew, Amazon would be faster delivery lol. Although i will say that the Ebay kit said arrives the 6th-12th, so thats really not too bad for Ebay, considering i ordered it on the 4th and it should arrive the 7th.

EDIT: ive already saturated my bolts a couple times with penetrating catalyst to hopefully ease the process and will do it a few more times before a tool touches it for that reason alone haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
You also have the ssa headers, not the stock right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
You also have the ssa headers, not the stock right?

Yes, I have the SSA headers on my tib.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hell yeah guys!
Look forward to hearing the sound clips, good luck with the installations!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts