Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Cheapest, best ways to boost HP?

8K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  008tib 
#1 ·
What are some effective, cheap ways to boost HP? I have an 08 Tiburon GT, stock everything (125k miles). i'm considering a cold air intake, an exhaust upgrade, and headers. Any recommendations on brands that are AFFORDABLE for a college student? or any other ideas?

#2 ·
A cold air intake is a decent starting point. While it's debatable how much actual HP you'll get from it, the induction noise alone will make it worth it.

Headers and an exhaust are also very good early mods. They do cost a bit more though.

If you want cheaper mods that give you a better overall feel I'd recommend (if you have a manual) shifter bushings and a short throw shifter.

You can find some very good information on the Naturally Aspirated thread.

#12 ·
My OBX exhaust was the cheapest one at the time. Got it for like $350. Thing was terribly raspy until the mufflers broke in or I just got used to it. I have had several people think it sounded really good though. Never had any quality issues with it. As far as I remember it's supposed to be the loudest available. No resonator or option for one.

#19 ·
If you've got the tools to make your own you've probably also got the tools to weld the stock one back together, and honestly a custom made "wide open" UIM is just going to slaughter your bottom end with little to no top end gain. Whether or not you can do it, the companies that put out good products like this have a lot of experience testing how their design impacts performance, and ideally they actually test variations on the engine to see what actually works. Unless you feel like fabricating a half dozen variants and dyno testing each one, just do what you can with a stock one or keep an eye out for a used aftermarket unit from a reputable brand. If you're feeling brave I've even read of limited success custom rigging mu intake manifolds on (updated version of our delta).

#20 ·
Basic Maintenance like spark plugs, wires, synthetic oil change, air filter, alignment, MT fluid change, coolant flush, seafoam, etc.... I had alot of it done recently and the car felt really alive and new again. No point in doing performance upgrades when those basic maintenance can instantly add HP back to your car and prolong vehicle life at the same time.

Reactions: 008tib and ltlump
#21 · (Edited)
Injen cold air intake seems to be a pretty sweet install took me about a good half day to complete it.

I believe there is slightly more air in the Air fuel ratio. kinda slows you down. Sounds better and is good for future upgrades.

But there was also some sort of slight weight reduction with the CAI

Another easy thing is removing parts for weight reduction for some speed.

I found a lightweight crankshaft pulley that i had installed by a professional mechaic while doing my regular 90k maintenance on the belt.

That was a sweet upgrade but in the automatic drive mode it kinda sucks in 1st & 2nd gear. But when i use triptonics to rev higher up in the lower gears. It Rips alot better. It becomes proper again!

I also run some octane booster that the youtuber Chrisfix tested on the dyno for gains in a honda civic. I do believe the premium fuel & octane booster also provides a slight amount of hp and it all is slowly adding up. I ordered vp racing fuel i have no idea if that will work when it arrives.

I have ordered some ebay headers for the cat delete on my vehicle but i havent installed it yet because in the State of New Jersey does not allow you 2 maintain your car apparently. Update you on that when im done but should defintily help with weight reduction with the cheap ebay headers =/ also found the welds on them were decent but the inside of the pipe was not smoothed properly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.