Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

Just was kind of stoked that I found a set of 1.8L Beta1 pistons and rods on Ebay tonight. I bought em right away. As most of you know, they are a direct drop in replacement for our GK pieces, and lower the compression ratio. I of course will be getting new rings and bearings, and having the pieces inspected & cleaned at my machine shop.

But Damn! 20 bucks! Not quite sure if I'm going to use them or not, but I figure they'd be great to have. The headspacer from Alpine is working top notch, but I may try out the pistons, see what I think. Not that big of a deal to swap out.

-BRR

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
labmixz said:
not bad...... hope nothing is wrong with em when you get em...
Me too. Seller claims they're in good shape. If they're not perfect when I have them inspected, I'll just polish them up and put them on display in my shop.:) Win-Win!

-BRR

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
need some v6 ones?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
What are these going for retail? Cause I bet I could pull quite a few sets out of the yard easily.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JonGTR said:
What are these going for retail? Cause I bet I could pull quite a few sets out of the yard easily.
You can get 'em new from Korea for under $300, for the rods and pistons. Start pullin!

-BRR

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Eh, it would be better then to get them in new shape for $300.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
perfect buy :) if anyone wants to offer me such with a similar price, i'd be all wanting to buy them .

·
Registered
434 Posts
BestRedRide said:
Hey,

Just was kind of stoked that I found a set of 1.8L Beta1 pistons and rods on Ebay tonight. I bought em right away. As most of you know, they are a direct drop in replacement for our GK pieces, and power the compression ratio. I of course will be getting new rings and bearings, and having the pieces inspected & cleaned at my machine shop.

But Damn! 20 bucks! Not quite sure if I'm going to use them or not, but I figure they'd be great to have. The headspacer from Alpine is working top notch, but I may try out the pistons, see what I think. Not that big of a deal to swap out.

-BRR
Heard the CR will drop to 8.0:1 if used on our Beta II engine. Put it in, measure the CR and let us know if its true. Damn, I wanted to used these, could have saved me $400 instead of the Wiseco if not for the rumour from a Korea tech who tell me the CR will drop too low for my small turbo application purposes.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
tell me the 2.0 con rod length and 1.8 con rod length and i'll try to tell you how much does it drop cr..

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
nah, then it will be hard to calculate, easier to swap and try.

i thought it would be quite the opposite combination. 1.8 differs from 2.0 by the height of the block, the bore is the same. so the conrods are shorter. that is what needed to lower the CRs.. but yeah, the piston profile could be lower or more hollow form, i can't argue on what i don't know.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
JonGTR said:
Eh, it would be better then to get them in new shape for $300.
it might not be a bad idea to get an old set of rods and a crank reworked and ballanced or maybe just balanced tho.
should run you about the same but give a better performance

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know that *new* would be the best way to go, but hey, I got time and the ability to tear down my block and rebuild/replace it in minimal time. I like budget building... anyway, I have a next-to-new block that I'll be putting some stupid money into someday...:) So warnings for using used bottom end parts are indeed heeded and acknowledged!

I was looking for definative answers on what EXACTLY the compression ratio is reduced her, and on RD, and a few other sites to with installing this piston/rod combo, and came up with 8:1, 8.1:1, 8.5:1.

Tell you what. How about I just measure them? I'm taking the head off anyway, along with the entire rotating assy..., I can measure the CR myself, and see what we're looking at. I remember doing this in College with a neat little kit with combustion chamber covering discs, light motor oil and a syringe...there's other stuff too for measuring my deck volume, displacement, etc etc...It's not difficult.

I'll get some #'s and pics up when I test fit them, that is unless someone else has PROVEN and MEASURED #'s. not just approximations and calculated guesses.

-BRR

·
Banned
434 Posts
apkraven said:
nah, then it will be hard to calculate, easier to swap and try.

i thought it would be quite the opposite combination. 1.8 differs from 2.0 by the height of the block, the bore is the same. so the conrods are shorter. that is what needed to lower the CRs.. but yeah, the piston profile could be lower or more hollow form, i can't argue on what i don't know.

you are right the bore is the same but it is also the same block. the 1.8L block is not shorter, the stroke is shorter. There are a couple ways hyundai could have changed the stroke to get the extra displacement. Either different length rods or a different crank shaft. I do not know for sure but i believe it was with differnent rods. to get more displacement you would need a longer stroke therefore shorter rods. So if rod lenght were the way the displacement were changed the betaI would have shorter pistons and longer rods or maybe just longer rods.

KDMguy would know, you could PM him instead of tearing your motor apart? I know i saw somewhere he even had posted the correct CR.

·
Registered
99 Posts
From What I remember, I will have to double check BUT the 1.8L Rod is 3mm shorter then the 2.0L Rod and I know for sure that The 1.8L piston has a taller crown compared to the 2.0L piston.

As for the compression ratio of 1.8 rods and pistons in a 2.0 block I believe its 8:1 but not 100% sure

Here are some good comparision pics of the 2.0/1.8 rods / pistons and installed in a 2.0L block

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Excellent pics, Gary! Thanks! Those pics correspond to the info I have as well. Look at that destroyed squish area! Eek!

And, yes, antiquity, Kdmguy would know, but getting him to reply to email is like banging my head against a wall. I also want to measure it myself to get a definative answer that I can trust. I really don't care what it is exactly, I'm just curious...and I'm already tearing my engine apart anyhow....LOL...no biggie, it doesn't take rocket science or any serious amount of time to measure/calcualte the new CR. And to boot, I really have nothing better to do...LOL! ;)

-BRR

1 - 20 of 24 Posts