Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so chech it out peeps .
the people in my church were cleaning out the basement and they found this in there...
decided to donate it to the needy .
thats me :>

so as far as i can tell it is a 72-75 (not sure) yamaha RD250
it has compression but it doesnt run .i was hoping the kick starter would provide enough juice to make a spark but i guess i will have to put a batterie in afterall.
if anyone knows anything about bikes and wants to share some info that'dbe kewl .

let me know what yall think

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
That thing looks new.

Change the plug, points, plug wire, oil before you even try to start it.

Buy a new battery for $20, oil the chain really well and change the brake fluid before you attempt to drive it.

Hell I would just take it to a local yamaha dealer and tell them to give it a good servicing. It would cost maybe $100 or so and it would be worth it. Then you will know it is safe to drive.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
never changed the points before but the rest i know i can handle .
i looks like someone has iether been working on it or kept awesome care of it because the plugs look brand new .
the fuel line leaks so i need to replace those and i think the clutch needs some work beacause it will not disengage .
im taking it over to my house tonight so tomorrow i can have a better look at it .

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
AWESOME BIKE!!! Love the old-school 70's bikes.

thanks , i cant believe this thing wass just given to me it rocks

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im gonna first see if i can make it look classic OEM , all stock basically
then if that all works out i might go custom on it
but i doubt it , i kinda really like what it looks like .
i've been doing some reading on the web and it turns out i need a charged battery in order to fire that baby up , thats kinda od i thought but im willing to give it a try

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
picked her up today so this is a pick of the real deal .
there is a little bit more rust on the body then i thought so i might do the whole custom paint thing afterall .
im also thinking of pulling that luggage rack of .
first things first though , i need to get that beast fired up and figure out why the clutch doesnt disengage .
thats gonna be fun .

·
Resident Mechanical Engineer
1,848 Posts
Haha I'm in the same situation here! From the back of the garage, a few buddies and I decided to pull out my father's old 1986 Honda Nighthawk 450.

Besides being covered in dust and cobwebs, the sucker is literally brand new. It has 1500 miles on it. We changed the plugs, emptied out the old gas (completely black), cleared out a few fuel lines, hooked the battery up to a running car, and tried to start it with a tank of fresh gas and a little fuel/carb cleaner. Well, all of the electronics worked, and the starter fired, but it just wouldn't catch. We pulled the plugs and checked them, and there were no traces of fuel. We pulled the tank back off, and poured fuel directly into the carb to see if any was reaching the cylinder. Tried another start and nothing.

Thinking of pulling the carb and cleaning it, we tried something a little crazy. We pulled the plugs and poured fuel directly in there before replacing the plugs. Again we tried the ignition and it turned over and held the start for a few seconds before dying again. But damn it, the thing started, which made the battery hold a charge for a solid 20 seconds after the car was disconnected.

Today, I'm going to change the oil and pull the carb to see if it needs to be cleaned as bad as the other lines that were sealed shut with old gas.

Get some more pics up, Mirage. That's a pretty bike.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bosco said:
Get some more pics up, Mirage. That's a pretty bike.

so far my plan of action is that im buying a new batterie for it .then once i know for sure there is a spark i will get to the fuel deliverie system ,like you said , pour out the old gas (smells like terpintine) clean the lines and if necisary clean the carbs .i know i need to clean them eventually anyway but i know if it runs i will be a lot better at getting stuff done for it .
then i need to figure out why the clutch doesnt disengage and i believe i need new brake fluid in the front .
it will certainly be a project
i'll pul her out of the garage and see if i can get sone better pics for ya .

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so here are some more pictures :>

notice the tranny , i might just have a GS tibby , my 32 year old bike has a 6 speed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts