Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Chrome Door Handles or Replacement

DIY: 
15K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  peachferrari 
#1 ·
So due to popular demand I am re-posting my outside door handles DIY. Fortunately for you guys I still have the pics.

Tools you need: phillips screwdriver, small pick or razor blade, socket with extensions or small open-ended wrench (can't remember the size, but looking at the pics it looks like 12mm) Trim removal tools are also very helpful.

First, remove the tweeter speaker and unplug it. This just pulls off as it's held on with rubbery tabs around the edge:

Next there are several screws holding the door panel in place. There are 4 at the front half of the panel, three exposed and one under the door grab:

After removing the door grab (just pops off--use trim tools or a flat blade screwdriver) there's a screw at the top (can't remember if there are any others, possibly at the bottom where I drew this arrow)

The top screw also helps hold the trim piece around the inner door handle, so after removing it and the other screw at the back of it you can remove that trim piece as seen here:

The last 3 screws in the panel are at the back, with covers on them. Use a small pick or razor blade to pop the covers off:

Now the only thing holding the door panel is clips around the sides and bottom. Use trim tools if you can, and once it starts coming away you can probably just pull with your hands. Then the whole panel lifts off upward---but go slow as there are electrical connections to disconnect at the window switches, the door light, and the speaker:

Now you need to peel back that plastic from the upper right corner to get to the door handle. It might be tucked under a screw or two, you can either yank it out or loosen the screws:

Once you have enough of the plastic out of the way, there are two bolts holding the door handle in place. Assuming you have a new handle you can easily see where they are:

You can either reach up inside the door panel (big arrow) with an open-ended (or ratcheting) wrench, but it's really a pain. It's much easier to use a socket and extension and go straight through the inner panel to the handle bolts. One is straight through where the left arrow is in this pic, the other is not where the right arrow is, it's actually under that black cover piece just to the right of the right arrow. The cover just pops out, then you have a straight shot at the second bolt:

Once those bolts are out, pull the handle out slowly and remove the linkage and lock cylinder (may be able to get these out by reaching up inside the door panel). You'll see how they connect by looking at your new handle.

Then just reverse everything to get the new handle back into place and the door panel back on and enjoy your new look.

Post up any questions, but you should be able to tackle this job no problem. I don't have my Tib anymore so this is all from memory, but it's one of the first things I did when I had my car, so I know it's not a hard job.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank for this DIY. I will be attempting soon.

However, do you think it is possible to replace only the handle when doing this job? I have a white tib with a black handle and lock on a white door handle assembly. Its a cool black accent that I'd like to keep. If I buy a new black handle on black assembly then I can remove my black handle on white assembly (with the directions above), then hopefully replace the broken black handle with the new black handle, then reinstall my white handle assembly (with new black handle piece).

Another (dated) thread talked about how difficult the swapping out of the handle piece is so I'm looking for some additional feedback.

#6 ·
I've never done it so I can't say. Just make sure anything removed goes back where it was and you should be ok. Hopefully someone who has actually done it can chime in.

#7 ·
Does anyone know if the exterior door handles from a 2007+ tib fit the 2002-2006 model? (was picking some up at a local junkyard but only the newer tib had it's exterior handles).

Note: I know I can just order new ones but it was just cheaper and quicker so I figured I'd ask. Thanks in advance for any imput.

#10 ·
same here, im not exactly sure as to how to take the spring mechanism apart either... while this DIY is helpful for people that havent taken their door panels off several times, it is most UNhelpful for those that are trying to figure out how to actually REMOVE the handle assembly in the first place.

#17 ·
Seems like several are doing this job recently. Post up any questions you might have. I haven't changed the handles for quite awhile but I have had the door panel off several times to do speakers and other things. I can pull the panel in like 5 minutes now lol.

#18 ·
Sorry to reopen an old thread but I have just changed my handles and found that it was a lot more difficult than it should have been. The handles I bought had a thicker gasket than the originals so a good tip if you are having the same issues is to reuse the original gasket - trust me when I say that it will save you hours of frustration trying to get the lock arm into position. If there is a newer thread please add this tip to it and thanks for allowing me access to this one🍻🍻

#19 ·
Yes, good info. This happens frequently with non-OEM handles (IE: the made in China ones). I had the same issue the last time I changed mine but the original gaskets were junk as well. I ended up installing the handles without the gaskets and running a small bead of RTV all around them afterwards (from the outside). No ill effects so far.

Reactions: Sonny 61
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.