Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 828 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part 1...
--Get any ol' spraypaint at your local hardware store or Home Depot. I'd suggest getting a glossy spraypaint. (2 cans) If they have high temp glossy paint--that's even better! Pick up a can of glossy clear coat while you're there. Finally, get some 400-grit sandpaper as well.
--Go home and take off your headlights. There are three bolts holding them in, a wiring connector, and turn signal bulb.
--Take out the bulbs that are inside.
--Go in the kitchen and grab some foil wrap.
--Go over to your stove and put the foil along the tray where you put food that's getting cooked. Pre-heat to 150 degrees.
--When it's nice and warm, grab a headlight and place it in the oven. (No, I'm not joking). Let it roast for 15 minutes at 150 degrees.
--Put on some mittens or a couple of oven mits and take the headlight out.
--Stand it on one end, grab the clear lense and black rear part and PULL!!!!!! Rest and pull again...it'll come apart. (If the goo that's holding the headlight together cools down, throw the headlight in the oven again for 5 minutes to warm it back up). Eventually, the headlight will come apart. It's good to have a buddy around to help pull. Also, a second person is useful because the goo will stretch--have them slice the stretching goo with a knife to make the job easier and cleaner.
--Repeat the process for the other headlight so you have both of them in two parts.

Part 2...
--Grab a phillips-head screwdriver and take all of the screws out of the headlights. Take each headlight apart entirely--there'll be a few parts: clear lense, bezel, rear part, orange reflector, chrome corner reflector, and two chrome cylinders. NOTE: If you want to keep the chrome parts unpainted, DO NOT TOUCH THE CHROME! Use gloves or be VERY careful not to touch the chrome. Handle these pieces from underneath.
--Take the parts you want to color and sand them with the 400 grit sandpaper. Don't press too hard--just take off the finish. You'll see a light "dust" fall off.
--Wash the pieces when you're done. Make sure to get all the dust off.
--Let the pieces dry entirely. Don't use a towel.

Part 3...
--Find a nice area in your yard to spray. Lay out the pieces.
--Spray each piece with nice, LIGHT, even coats. LIGHT COATS! If you spray too much at one time, you'll get runs--then you will not be happy.
--Let the (light) coat dry for 15 minutes.
--Add about more 5 light coats--which should cover the entire piece nicely. Make sure to let each coat dry.
--Add three (light) layers of clear coat, letting each one dry 15 minutes. Let the last coat sit for an hour. Use a fan if you have one--let it blow onto all of the peices, but I suggest that you take them inside. If you have the time, let the parts dry overnight instead.

Part 4...
--Put the lights back together. Be careful with each part because you don't want to chip the paint or get fingerprints on any chrome parts. Obviously, this is where you throw away the orange reflector--thus creating the "clear corner". The chrome (or now painted) corner reflector will screw into place, but will look a little cockeyed. Don't worry, it'll look fine when you put the lights back together.
--Preheat the oven to 150 degrees again (don't forget the foil).
--Take both parts to one headlight and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
--Take the parts out, line up the headlight, and SQUEEZE!!!!!! (Der...gloves)
--Hold it in place for a minute or two. Let the goo hold and dry a bit.
--Repeat for the other headlight
--Bring them back to your car, connect the wiring and turn signal, and bolt 'em back into place!

Thanks to ItaliaTib2k3 for this DIY!

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have a question about the head lights, i took them out of my car, and there sitting next to me. I got out the 3 main bulbs and i am attempting to take out the 4th little light under the one. sorry if thats confusing. but how do i get it out. Am i supposed to take out the black casing in the back? sorry for the confusion but any help is appriciated.

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
Though I originally suggested 150 degrees for 15 minutes, you can actually bake them at 200 degrees for 10 minutes....it'll get the silicome even more "gooey". The "gooey-er" the silicone gets, the easier it is to pull them apart.

Use needlenose pliers to take out the small 194-bulb...just be careful not to break the bulb...

·
Registered
98 Posts
You don't have to take out the bulbs if you don't want to... they work just fine with them in it..
baking method doesn't hurt anything
as for sealing goes.. it seals back together pretty well if you put the headlights back in the oven and get the seal gooie.. then put them back together..

FOr me.. i bought some extra silicone from home depot and covered it with extra layer so i won't regret it later when it starts to fog up.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Re: New Clear Corners and Painting Tips DIY - By ItaliaTib2k3

i can't keep my damn light back into the headlight frame wtf!!!!!!! sum1 help lol.....

·
Registered
986 Posts

nvm got them back in looks awesome..will have sum pics later on tonite hopefully....thnks for the DIY

·
Registered
986 Posts

javascript:ShowImage('http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?migration=1&image=http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/507000-507999/507728_62_full.jpg', 336, 276)

·
Registered
451 Posts

I know this info was posted in the old forum, but I can't seem to find it with the search. What was the info on the silver coated turn signal bulbs, you know the ones that turn orange when they need to but remain silver when not in use. And if I was drinking to much and thought I saw this imaginary wonder bulb, someone give me a reality check! :2_confuse

·
Registered
986 Posts

alright u guys my lights came out real nice but yea my f**king headlights dont come on..i think its just the low beams that wont work can sum1 help me out and tell me why the damn lights wont work now.....any1 please HELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Jpick

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

APC Titan Bulbs are the ones your thinking of, they can be picked up at your local autoparts store or from sound domain.
Or you can go buy chrome spraypaint for 5 dollars get duplicolor and paint the bulbs that you already have, just remember to tape off the metal part.

·
Registered
986 Posts

sum1 please PM me and tell me why my lights arent working now i need sum help i can't drive my car at nite anymore cause my low beam lights wont work at all when i put them back in they only thing i can think of is that the lights are mix'd up but i have know idea. sum1 please hook me up with a way to fix this.....

·
Registered
451 Posts

Carb0n03 said:
APC Titan Bulbs are the ones your thinking of, they can be picked up at your local autoparts store or from sound domain.
Or you can go buy chrome spraypaint for 5 dollars get duplicolor and paint the bulbs that you already have, just remember to tape off the metal part.
Thank you! :3_shiny:

·
Registered
498 Posts

hey man get chrome headlights and get over it. i am sorry to say that but its just my opinion u can hate me but that painted red grill and headlights arent looking goon on ur car.just my opinion. if u cant aford it buy chrome paint and repaint them. atleast just headlights;.

·
Registered
311 Posts

i did this a little while back, and i'm just noticing that my left low beam light is angled up a little bit lol i think that might be a little bit of a problem, but i'm to lazy to attempt to fix it. I'm thinking the wrost that could happen is that the light might shine in peoples eyes in on coming traffic. I'll feel sorry for em when i get brighter lights hehehe

·
Registered
32 Posts

Did anyone paint their the bazels chrome? is it a good thing to do?

·
Registered
43 Posts

Ok I am attempting to do this mod today and I cant seem to get the stupid headlight apart. I have my oven up to 200 degrees I left it in there for 15 minutes and then tried to pull and I nothing is budging. I am pulling pretty hard to. I dont want to break the headlight because then I am just screwed. Any advice someone could give me so I can get these things done today.... Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 828 Posts