Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got and 06' Tib 2.0 5-speed Manual I've run into the infamous premature clutch failure/slippage, I removed the release spring valve from the slave and it surly tightened up the clutch response. Now i'm looking to replace the clutch and flywheel. Anyone have any opinions/advice on what brand to go with?? I'll probably be looking to go with a stage 3, since i have some mods that i would like to be doing in the near future to gain some HP. I'm also wanting to stick with a full disc on the clutch, rather than pucks(hopefully a little nicer on the transmission).
Anything please??

·
Registered
216 Posts
i got a fidanza lightweight flywheel for sale, and a clutchmasters stage 3, if you want either of them shoot me a p\m

·
Registered
471 Posts
^^^ what fidanza model number do you have......has it been installed? what year do you have?

·
Registered
216 Posts
it is used for about 4000 miles, its off my 2003 tiburon i bought it like 2 or 3 months ago from ultrarev Part# 193141 HY1

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, lluks... I think I'm gonna go new with this clutch install, depending on how I like it I might get another for backup. did you like that clutch on your car and why did you take it off?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I'll state not to buy any crap cutches off of Ebay!

-BRR

·
Banned
434 Posts
i would go with fidanza on the flywheel. Flywheels are what they do.

For clutches you almost cant go wrong with clutchmasters, south bend, exedy ....and there are a couple more that i cant think of off the top of my head.

just an FYI I have a 6-puck clutch and fidanza flywheel and i get little bit of moaning when i back up from the setup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
antiquity... I've heard alot about fitment issues with the fidanza flywheels, is this true? anyone esle had issues with fidanza flywheels??

I'm looking as SPECS cltuch and flywheel setup, anyone have any negative feedback on Spec's products??

·
Banned
434 Posts
i have no idea about fitent i had it installed at a trans shop. i am assuming since they installed it there were no issues.

the only issues i have heard of are that there are 2 different versions for the v6 depending on producton date and no one cares to pay attention to which model they need when they order it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
stay away from the SPEC clutch's. they have a horrible history with hyundai, and beta's by far. i personally had 3 fail. (thats even there claim, i sent them in to see if they would replace them as being faulty) now im on a south bend TZ for the past 2 years, and couldnt be happier. HIGHLY recommend these clutch's, and the price is damn good too.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
clutchmasters have a damn bad history with evo's , many fail , so i'm going with an act, i have good prices on them if you need one. give a link what is a southbend please.
fidanza is superb!

·
Banned
243 Posts
About how long did it take for the clutch to start slipping? I've got an 06 5spd too and the last thing in the world I want to do is replace the clutch in the first year of owning the car, thats just ridiculous.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jds121 said:
About how long did it take for the clutch to start slipping? I've got an 06 5spd too and the last thing in the world I want to do is replace the clutch in the first year of owning the car, thats just ridiculous.
started slipping at about 13,000... if you have not done the slave cylinder mod, i highly recommend it just do a search on it, its posted by androck, i think. That will give you step by step walk throughs

Dang it xxxmonoxidechild i wish you would have replied sooner, I went and got a stage 3+ Spec Clutch as well as a Spec flywheel. I'll be done installing it tuesday night. I'll let you know how it all goes. I sure hope its not junk, this is about the least fun job i've done on my tib thus far.

·
Registered
206 Posts
NeoXr said:
Anyone have the XTD® STAGE 3 CLUTCH & 11LBS FLYWHEEL Combo (TIBURON/ ELANTRA 2003)?
personally i tihnk the fidanza is the best flywheel it only weigh's 7.5lbs i have it insalled in my car and i love it

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I had a Fidanza on my XD for just over a year, sold the car, and now I have one waiting for my Tib when I get home in a week or so. I love mine and would not drive another Hyundai at least without one, it feels great...as for the clutch I opted this time for an ACT setup, I had the ebay garbage last time and I blew it up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
slow 2K2GT said:
I had a Fidanza on my XD for just over a year, sold the car, and now I have one waiting for my Tib when I get home in a week or so. I love mine and would not drive another Hyundai at least without one, it feels great...as for the clutch I opted this time for an ACT setup, I had the ebay garbage last time and I blew it up.
Ebay garbage = XTD?
The Fidanza is a bit too expensive for me with import taxes and all. I searched through ElantraXD + NT and so far you and Bestredride the only ones that have reported problems with XTD. How did yours blow up?
I took a chance and went for the XTD combo, hopefully it will be fine with my measly stock hp.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
yes by ebay crap I do mean XTD, I had the red pressure plate with the 6 puc disc, dont get me wrong as long as you arent launching hard, dont mind a whine in reverse or some chatter during engagement then the ebay setup will be fine for you. Yes fidanza is a little more expensive but from past experiences you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think that clutchnet and XTD use the same pressure plate.. i just took a look at the xtd one and compared it to the one i have from clutchnet.. and they look like they could be from the same stamp.... it kinda scares me.. i paid 180 for the pressure plate alone.. take a look for your self.. but i do know that the clutch is indeed from clutchnet and doesnt compare to the XTD one.. i have heard that the XTD ones will not last with much power on them.. so be prepared to be replacing this in the near futrue

Compare

i have heard that the XTD ones will not last with much power on them.. so be prepared to be replacing this in the near futrue. As said before.. you get what you pay for..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts