Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car seemed to be driving fine up until yesterday. It seems like the car doesn't even get into gear. Reverse and 1st gear seem to be acting as they should. After that the car appears to get into gear but if I put any gas on it seems to rev almost freely without any real noticible acceleration. The cars is topping out at about 40 mph and will rev as if the clutch is completely slipping even in 5th gear. I have an '03 5 spd and it has about 86k miles on it. I've read about the valve in the slave cylinder and the fact that our clutches are garbage. I just want to know if I need to get the clutch replaced or if it might be something as simple as a clutch cable or that valve acting up. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
if the clutch was slipping, then i think all your gears would be crappy. the slave cylinder shouldnt really have much to do with the slippage, it just helps the clutch engage and disengage if im not mistaken.

though, it does sound like you have a bad clutch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So there's no... ehem... cheaper problem that it could be that I could look into first?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
So there's no... ehem... cheaper problem that it could be that I could look into first?
im hoping one of the clutch/transmission experts hop on this, but if the gears arent engaging the way they should be, then it could be a faulty clutch. you could get a clutch and flywheel combo for under $600.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I just hopped in the car to test something. With the car turned off, I went through all the gears and the shifter moves freely through each one. Then I turned the car on and put in in fourth gear from a dead stop. The car stalled the first time and the second time actually got into gear and started inching forward. Doesn't that mean that maybe the clutch isn't blown? Should I check the linkage in the morning. I really hope this isn't a huge fix. I'm going to try to bleed the clutch in the morning too and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
has the clutch ever been replaced?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Ok, so I just hopped in the car to test something. With the car turned off, I went through all the gears and the shifter moves freely through each one. Then I turned the car on and put in in fourth gear from a dead stop. The car stalled the first time and the second time actually got into gear and started inching forward. Doesn't that mean that maybe the clutch isn't blown? Should I check the linkage in the morning. I really hope this isn't a huge fix. I'm going to try to bleed the clutch in the morning too and see if that helps.
what i heard was a good way to check your clutch was to bring up to about 20mph, then bring it directly to 5th, then slam on the gas. if the RPM's dont shoot up, then the clutch should be all right. if the rpm's rise quickly, then that might be it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure. I bought the car just recently. I'm hoping it's not the clutch now since I can get it to start moving in 4th gear from a dead stop.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I would assume you need a new clutch. How many miles were on it when you bought it?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Ask whoever you got it from if the clutch was ever replaced. Im still leaning toward bad clutch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would it be a lost cause to replace it with another stock set? I'm looking at the set that's like 600 for flywheel and clutch and thinking I might just do that since I'll be in there anyway. I'll be able to do it myself with the help of a mechanic buddy that I know.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Go aftermarket. Its always better to upgrade while youre already in there. There are plenty of people on here that can help you pick a good one.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Go aftermarket. Its always better to upgrade while youre already in there. There are plenty of people on here that can help you pick a good one.
+1. a common set up that i see here is a stage 2 clutchmasters clutch with a fidanza lightweight flywheel, that seems to do wonders for so many people.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called the hyundai dealership and they said that the flywheel in the 03 5 speeds can't be resurfaced. Is this a load of bull or am I really screwed?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I called the hyundai dealership and they said that the flywheel in the 03 5 speeds can't be resurfaced. Is this a load of bull or am I really screwed?
depends on the condition of the flywheel. if its done for, theres no point in resurfacing. in our cars, its pointless to do it anyways because the stock clutch system on the 03's were horrible.

just upgrade, you'll be much happier!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd love to but money is an issue and this car is my only transportation so I need it fixed asap. I'm looking at 600 just for a clutch and flywheel before install if I upgrade.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I'd love to but money is an issue and this car is my only transportation so I need it fixed asap. I'm looking at 600 just for a clutch and flywheel before install if I upgrade.
you'll probably be paying that much for a stock clutch anyways. dealerships overcharge out the anus for OEM parts. ive heard people say they charge $900 for a stock headunit. ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
yeah dude.. the 03 stock clutches were total crap... you have NO idea how lucky you are if its the origional for it to have made it that far... or well even if thats a second OEM clutch... aftermarket FTW...

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
yeah dude.. the 03 stock clutches were total crap... you have NO idea how lucky you are if its the origional for it to have made it that far... or well even if thats a second OEM clutch... aftermarket FTW...
my car was made january 02, i still have the stock clutch going on 74k

1 - 20 of 21 Posts