Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know when it starts getting to the point that I actually NEED to replace it? Right now, it's at the point where I should replace it. It's only slipped about twice (RPM's go up, but I don't accelerate), so it's not too bad right now. At what point am I actually at risk of losing it altogether, though?

By the way, it just started last night.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
It depends on how you drive it - my clutch slipped for 5-6 months - sometimes on and off in the beggining as time went on it happened all the time. When we took it apart to change the clutch out the disk still had plently of meat on it the pressure plate and flywheel had so many hot sports all over it it wasnt able to catch and eventually it would of just spun flreely without catching at all. Some people have had clutche slipping and them fail on them completely so it just depends on the situation with the clutch which you cant see to determine if you have to change it or not.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I drive my car pretty hard. I'll never turn down a race, and run it at least 3-4 times, balls out, on Fridays at the track. I suppose that means mine will go out sooner than someone that just drives to and from work/school right at the speed limit everyday? :p

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I guess the real question is, how long are you willing to drive with a slipping clutch? AFter replacing my FW and clutch, it's great driving again, and even the exhaust sounds way different because the engine is under a harder load without the clutch slippping. I can open mine up in 5th at about eighty mph and still feel some kick in the seat.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess the real question is, how long are you willing to drive with a slipping clutch? AFter replacing my FW and clutch, it's great driving again, and even the exhaust sounds way different because the engine is under a harder load without the clutch slippping. I can open mine up in 5th at about eighty mph and still feel some kick in the seat.
Well, I was going to be replacing my clutch soon anyway, when I got my stage 2 s/c. This just gives me a better reason to do it. So I'll probably replace it soon. Will I need to replace the flywheel, too?

Basically, I don't know **** about clutches/flywheels, what's better, what I should stay away from, etc. This is my first manual car, so I've never had to worry about any of this before. I know Clutchmasters and Fidanza are both popular brands, and seem to be the favorites of everyone around here, but I don't know the difference between their different models, which one would be best for me, etc.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Well, I was going to be replacing my clutch soon anyway, when I got my stage 2 s/c. This just gives me a better reason to do it. So I'll probably replace it soon. Will I need to replace the flywheel, too?

Basically, I don't know **** about clutches/flywheels, what's better, what I should stay away from, etc. This is my first manual car, so I've never had to worry about any of this before. I know Clutchmasters and Fidanza are both popular brands, and seem to be the favorites of everyone around here, but I don't know the difference between their different models, which one would be best for me, etc.

If your's is an OEM, then you can't resurface the FW. If you want to go to a performance clutch, especially a stage 4, then just get the lightweight flywheel. Down the road it'll be more economical when you only have to buy the friction plate for your flywheel with a clutch than another FW. Besides, I think the OEM FW is around $800

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
My clutch has been slipping for months. It seems that somedays it grabs ok and other days its just not feeling it. Im trying to bail out of the factory set up here shortly. Ive heard that you can limp a hurt and damaged clutch for a long time but then again it may just take a complete ****. It seems that each clutch and car is different.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe dropping off the power band. Sometimes if your pushing it hard and past the power band, you'll feel a cut in power and the rpms are way up there.
Well, it started "slipping" after I had let off and turned around. It was probably 2-3 minutes after I was racing that it started slipping. It also made a grinding noise that I've never heard before, but it only did that once.:3_confuse

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
dude just replace it before you get stranded and can't run anymore. I ran my sliiping clutch for about 4 months and it got anoying to the point were i could not use first gear on a cold start. i had to start off on 2nd for it to catch.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The slipping after you raced is from heat. Eventually your pressurep late and flywheel are going to be satuared with hotspots it wont really be able to go anywere. Were not telling you no you cant drive it but its just going to get worse eventually. Its not the clutch you have to worry about, its getting to it to replace it thats more of a *****, lol.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
even when i shift easy , i just get boost and when i'm arriving and stopping, the smell of clutch catches up on me, so i give it couple months . my bud's car didn't start and even didn't crank cause it had a chunk of flywheel or something.. or the bearing stuck inside. such stories we got. just get a clutch and the flywheel you can. the worst that should happen is the full lose of grabbing.. but you'll feel it long before it can happen...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.