Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 05 hyundai tiburon GT So I'm assuming I ran the clutch dry as the pedal got stuck to the floor then when I pulled it up I couldn't push it anymore. Some guy was f***ing with something in my car cause I called a friend to come help me push and he brought along this "mechanic" since then I've figured out what he broke off was the rod going into the slave cylinder so obviously that needs replaced but what other issues of running it dry would I have to worry about fixing? He says probably the throwout bearing I'm just trying to figure out if this is worth fixing/ how much it will cost

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
455 Posts
The push rod doesn't break off. It can fall out if the rubber sleeve is worn out or if your throw out bearing is damaged and not returning fully to engaged position. Just fill up your clutch system, bleed it out then look for leaks. You probably need a new slave or master cylinder which are relatively cheap. Worst case you need a new clutch assembly.

Reactions: Nai150

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Idk why the picture posted so many times but this is the part he broke off my car if I'm not mistaken that's the rod going into the slave cylinder and I would need to replace that rod because he snapped it off and he said it broke cause it was corroded

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Idk why the picture posted so many times but this is the part he broke off my car if I'm not mistaken that's the rod going into the slave cylinder and I would need to replace that rod because he snapped it off and he said it broke cause it was corroded
Ya I had mine bend while driving once. You may be able to just buy the rod. I ended up just buying a new slave and taking the rod off the new one and putting it on the slave that was on the car. I didn’t feel like putting a new slave in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the rod called? And I wouldn't mind buying a new slave if I knew that would fix everything. With running it dry idk what else could've gotten messed up I was hoping you guys might be able to tell me. Not mechanically inclined but this site is so full of tutorials for tibs I figured I could make it work myself just need to know what else might need replaced and how much. Basically if it's worth it. The guy was trying to tell me a shop will charge 8-1500 to repair what it needs but he's also trying to get the car off me and broke that piece off my car so I don't trust much of what he says

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
What's the rod called? And I wouldn't mind buying a new slave if I knew that would fix everything. With running it dry idk what else could've gotten messed up I was hoping you guys might be able to tell me. Not mechanically inclined but this site is so full of tutorials for tibs I figured I could make it work myself just need to know what else might need replaced and how much. Basically if it's worth it. The guy was trying to tell me a shop will charge 8-1500 to repair what it needs but he's also trying to get the car off me and broke that piece off my car so I don't trust much of what he says
If you just want the rod it’s part number 41722-39000. The 5 and 6 speed slave cylinders are different but I believe the rod is the same for both. Call Hyundai to verify. I have no idea what your full problem is. That will replace the rod but if you’ve lost fluid you need to figure out where it leaked from, slave cylinder, clutch line or clutch master and replace that.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
455 Posts
What's concerning is that you ran out of fluid. If the rod pops out you likely popped out the piston as well and fluid leaked around the piston. Would be a good idea to tear down the slave cylinder to inspect what failed and why you "ran it dry" before deciding what to replace. However, it's so cheap just replace it anyway.

It's 10 dollars for the 6speed slave cylinder. That's a no brainer if you ask me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I was just thinking about buying a slave and trying to bleed the system and just see if it works hope for the best I guess. If that doesn't work idk where to go from there I'm guessing looking for looks and from where. Or I'm assuming there's a chance of a bigger failure and even if I get fluid through something might be wrong?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Fluid leaking is not going to cause a catastrophic failure of the transmission or clutch and flywheel. Replace the slave cylinder and make sure you get the right one. Not sure if you are a 5 or 6 speed. While you are at it make sure to take out the stupid spring buffer inside the slave and you can also upgrade your clutch line while you are at it. Make sure your clutch master isn’t leaking as well.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Btw rereading your initial post you say you assume that you ran the clutch dry. Have you not verified that you are leaking fluid or that the master is even dry? If it’s got fluid or not leaking then yes you may have another issue on your hands.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a 05 hyundai tiburon GT So I'm assuming I ran the clutch dry as the pedal got stuck to the floor then when I pulled it up I couldn't push it anymore. Some guy was f***ing with something in my car cause I called a friend to come help me push and he brought along this "mechanic" since then I've figured out what he broke off was the rod going into the slave cylinder so obviously that needs replaced but what other issues of running it dry would I have to worry about fixing? He says probably the throwout bearing I'm just trying to figure out if this is worth fixing/ how much it will cost
Make sure that you didn't actually run it dry. If it is leaking you will have to replace your master and/or slave and/or clutch lines, which is all pretty easy and can be accessed under the hood. If it's your throw out bearing, that's a big deal that requires pulling your transmission to fix, which requires a lot of labor and therefore money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Btw rereading your initial post you say you assume that you ran the clutch dry. Have you not verified that you are leaking fluid or that the master is even dry? If it’s got fluid or not leaking then yes you may have another issue on your hands.
No I was told I ran it dry by some guy coming and looking at the resivour and not seeing any fluid how do I check to see if the master has any fluid

·
Registered
18 Posts
No I was told I ran it dry by some guy coming and looking at the resivour and not seeing any fluid how do I check to see if the master has any fluid
The clutch master cylinder is located on the firewall on the driver's side. There's a cap that you remove, and there should be brake fluid in there, and it should be pretty clear. If it is brown or black, you definitely need to bleed your clutch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So does that mean I might not have to replace the throwout bearing even though I ran it dr
Your throwout bearing may or may not be bad I don't know, but from the issues you described, I don't think it should have anything to do with it. You can get an entire drop in master+slave+clutch lines that's already prefilled and bled for about $100, and it'll take probably 15 minutes to throw in, and hopefully it should be smooth sailing after that. Were you driving it with no fluid? Because if you were you probably grinded into gear, so I'd be worried about the gears in your transmission over your throw out bearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well idk of it's a leak or I ran it dry because I just bought the car and admittedly didn't check all the fluids just changed the oil but I was having trouble getting into reverse sometimes of it wasn't all the way in it would make a wind up sound and move my shifter and sometimes to get it to go in I could slowly have to release the clutch till it popped into place but other heats I had no sounds coming from

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well idk of it's a leak or I ran it dry because I just bought the car and admittedly didn't check all the fluids just changed the oil but I was having trouble getting into reverse sometimes of it wasn't all the way in it would make a wind up sound and move my shifter and sometimes to get it to go in I could slowly have to release the clutch till it popped into place but other heats I had no sounds coming from
If it's dry then it's leaking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts