Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I downshift, my car shakes. You know how if you let off the clutch to the point where it's ready to die, but keep your foot on the brake, and it starts shaking? It does that when I downshift (from any gear). I've never driven, or even been for a ride in a car that does that. Is that a sign of my clutch going out, or is it something else? It doesn't slip or anything, so I wouldn't think the clutch was dying, but I don't know what else it could be.

Also, I've had numerous people drive my car, and it always does it, so I'm not just a bad driver. ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
it doesn't sound like your clutch is going out..( i just went through it) if it was the rpm's would be shooting up and the car would barely moving....but it does sound like it doesn't want to engage though....hmmmm

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a way to practice rev matching, or do I just have to find the sweet spot or something? I'm not really sure what you mean by rev matching. I'm assuming you mean getting the RPM's at a certain speed before shifting, but I'm not sure. This is the first manual car I've ever owned, so I don't know all the tricks to them yet.

·
Banned
434 Posts
scftw said:
Is there a way to practice rev matching, or do I just have to find the sweet spot or something? I'm not really sure what you mean by rev matching. I'm assuming you mean getting the RPM's at a certain speed before shifting, but I'm not sure. This is the first manual car I've ever owned, so I don't know all the tricks to them yet.

yea just blip the throttle beore you put it into the lower gear.

clutch in, pull out of gear, blip throttle up to approx RPM of lower gear, put into gear clutch out.

rev matching is the act of getting the engine RPMs to where they will be when you are in the next gear, higher or lower. The better you get at rev matching the smoother you will be both up and down the gearbox.

once you get good at rev matching then you can move on to more advanced techiniques like heel-toe shifting. but one thing at a time now.

·
Registered
869 Posts
this is your first manual??? are sure you aren't trying to down shift to high an rpm?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, this is my first manual, and actually only my second car. I really doubt I'm downshifting at too high an RPM. I usually cruise around in 6th to try and save on gas, so when I downshift to 5th and even 4th, my RPM's still aren't any higher than 4k.

·
Registered
869 Posts
yeah but how fast are you going? my mistake..i didn't mean rpm's....if you are going to fast for a gear of course the clutch isn't going to like it

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Whenever I downshift, my car shakes. You know how if you let off the clutch to the point where it's ready to die, but keep your foot on the brake, and it starts shaking? It does that when I downshift
Like if you're driving slow, or have to go over a speed bump right ?
What I do is push in the clutch while I'm braking for a speed bump, still in 2nd gear,,,then increase the gas and gently let out the clutch after going over the bump. If you do that you won't get the shakes. It's just a Tiburon thing, I've never driven another clutch that is as "exact" as ours.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
you may have some worn sports on your friction plate on your flywheel.....some spots may be burnt, and some may not be.......it will only be a matter of time before you will need to replace it....your clutch may be fine....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts