Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my Cold Air Intake and the Check Engine light is on.. and also when I first drive my car it shakes (putts) until the car is fully warmed up and then it drives fine... anyone know what the prob could be?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I installed my Cold Air Intake and the Check Engine light is on.. and also when I first drive my car it shakes (putts) until the car is fully warmed up and then it drives fine... anyone know what the prob could be?
Is your MAF Installed the Right way? did you unplug the battery for 30 min while you did the install?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
sounds like a mf issues...

first make sure if u unplugged ur maf that u plugged it back in.

Second make sure the arrow is pointed towards ur throttle body, away from the filter

Third make sure u have some slack in the wires going to the maf and make sure u didnt pull them out by any chance

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
It's a common problem, and here's how to fix it:

- Disconnect the negative terminal of your battery.
- Open your door. The dome light will quickly drain any remaining charge.
- Reconnect the negative terminal.
- Start the car. You'll notice that when you turn the engine over, it may hesitate... that's ok.
- Now go for a drive. Your ECU will recalibrate itself.

Done!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've heard that the shaking is usually due to the MAF sensor being backwards...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn I appreciate all the help. Seems like a very easy fix. I was about to trade my Tiburon in because I need an SUV with a 2nd child on the way.. However after finding this site yesterday I think I will keep it for a long time and deal witht he hassle of putting the kids in the back seat..

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You dont need a bigger car until they get bigger. lol :)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I was about to trade my Tiburon in because I need an SUV with a 2nd child on the way.. However after finding this site yesterday I think I will keep it for a long time and deal witht he hassle of putting the kids in the back seat..
My 2 girls fit just fine in the back seat with the car seats... and they love riding in the car over the wife's minivan. Don't trade it... you have a long time to go before they notice there's no leg room in the back. And even then, you can still tell them to just deal with it for another year or two. :3_coool:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Umm....no...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
define the sound?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
its cold so ur engine is loud. Mine makes a wistle sound and the engine is loud in the morning

·
Registered
115 Posts
^^^^ ditto

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 2 girls fit just fine in the back seat with the car seats... and they love riding in the car over the wife's minivan. Don't trade it... you have a long time to go before they notice there's no leg room in the back. And even then, you can still tell them to just deal with it for another year or two. :3_coool:
that is not the problem.. its just a pain in the *** gettin them in the back seat into their car seats!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
The must be really young still then... mine are 2 and 4... I just let them in from the passenger side... the 4 year old buckles her self in and the 2 year old I can reach pretty easy to help.

It'll get better... keep the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a common problem, and here's how to fix it:

- Disconnect the negative terminal of your battery.
- Open your door. The dome light will quickly drain any remaining charge.
- Reconnect the negative terminal.
- Start the car. You'll notice that when you turn the engine over, it may hesitate... that's ok.
- Now go for a drive. Your ECU will recalibrate itself.

Done!
OK SO I JUST TRIED THAT... the MAF is hooked up correctly... i double checked that... so after i disconnected the negative, drained the remaining charge, reconnected it, my car was fine.. however once i turned off my car.. the next time i started it it was doing it all again, the check engine light was on again!!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Sometimes the filters that come with intakes are over- oiled from the factory, so they don't dry out sitting on store shelves. The oil can spray over the MAF and give you a CEL.

Try some CRC MAF cleaner. You just spray down the sensors, wait 15 minutes, then put it back together. Some say the Q tip and electrical contact cleaner method works, but you have to be VERY careful not to break the little sensors inside the MAF. So I vote for the spray.

You could also look into getting a DryFlow filter.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just disconnecting the battery will only turn off the check enigne light.. wont fix the problem.. like others have said diconnect your mass air flow make sure the inside is not broke or have somthing in it.. let me no how it works.. let me no if u need any help!
< BeTz >

1 - 20 of 21 Posts