Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Cold Cathodes

593 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Wolfman 
#1 ·
anyone know how long they last usually?
they are cheap and brighter then LEDs but i know they dont last half as long really.. so im going to get them just for now because i like them and dont have all the cash to get the LEDs and such... well i could but i dont want to be broke lol :3_rc5:

#3 ·
I bought a set and didn’t have good luck with them. I was doing the trunk neon mod on these boards with a set of blue CC tubes, and while they were small and tucked right into the space where I wanted them, they weren’t terribly bright. Now, if you’re not looking to illuminate an area as large as a trunk, they might work for you, but if you are I warn you now that they aren’t very bright.

The other thing was that after about a week or so one of the bars started to get progressively dimmer, which just looked silly and made the lighting situation even worse. Before you ask, yes, I had a quality set from Sunbeam, beloved of Newegg users and who’s other products I have used with great success. Apparently CC tubes are just prone to dimming for no apparent reason. Doesn’t usually happen quite as fast as that, but it’s apparently something you can expect. Eventually, I ended up replacing them with a large LED bar from StreetGlow. It was thicker than the CC tubes, but I understand that shorter bars have smaller diameters anyway. Also, the light output was vastly better, no problems with dimming, everything worked flawlessly.

The only thing was that if you do any kind of custom wiring on the kit I bought (only comes equipped with an inverter that plugs into the cig lighter) you have to cut the suckers open and do some playing around to figure out which wires are what. Turns out of the 8(?) wires bundled up, only one of them was a ground (I think it was the yellow) and the rest were all connect to the positive. But anyway, depends on what you want to do with it I guess.

#4 ·
im going to be using them under the dash.. where the feet rest really (or at least thats where the light will be shining).. and im only going to be using them at night... and not for real long periods of time either... i think they should be fine like that... and once they crap out i will buy some LEDs because i will have more money then...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.