Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, with the cold weather we've been having in Maryland, my e-brake has been acting up. When I get in my car in the morning for work, and lower the e-brake, I can feel that is has not disengaged the brakes from the rear rotors. The e-brake can move freely up and down on what is obviously a non-taught cable. Is there any way to fix this other than to sit in my car for 10 minutes waiting for it to warm up? (That seems to solve the problem). I'd like to be able to get in my car, and drive to work.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
i even have that problem here when its really cold, i have to pull it up and let it down a few times while the car is crank and then im good to go. Hey nothing wrong with letting ur car warm up first anyways. Sounds like a good exscuse for a remote start system

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well,
Here is my 2 cents. I would have a look at both ends of the cables. start with the rear ends. just take the wheels off, find the ebrake cables going to the rear drum's (Your ebrake should be a drum brake located inside the disk brakes) now they're should be a little rubber boot over the end of the cable where it attaches to the braket. clean that all up and if you can peel the boot back see if you can slip some low temp grease in there. the other end will be a little more tough but give er a try.

·
Registered
914 Posts
yep had teh same problem in my 2003. used to drive backward to loosen them.
almost got that fixed but total'd the car.
the ebrake cables have a rubber boot that crack and get moisture inside. when that freezes so does your cable.
tell the dealer it happens all the time, and you need both cables replaced.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Sweet! I had this same exact problem come up for the first time about a month ago, and today was the second occurrence (both days were some of the coldest of the season... 25 degrees or below - horray for El Nino when that's considered a "brutally" cold January day in NJ!)

That's exactly what I figured it was, but hearing others w/the same problem gives me reassurance. I guess I'll need to make a stop at the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts