Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on cold days (below 40 degrees) when i first start my car in the morning the car will not idle. it will run like sh** then cut off, but it will only run if i keep my foot on the gas. once it cuts off i can crank it back up and it runs fine. and until the motor gets warm if you get into the gas a little it bucks and stumbles. but not like a misfire more like the motor is surging. car runs great other than that, im just lucky we're having a warm winter in NC.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
thats a little strange, mine will start and run around 16oo rpms for a few second then drop down to 900 ish ad then eventually go down around 750 at idle

·
Registered
914 Posts
no idea, but i second the reset thing.
pull the ECU fuse. or disconnect the negitve battery term for a minute.
all your intake connections firm?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mabye a little bad or flat gas? I just had that problem in my truck a week ago. try putting a bottle of heet in ur tank, that will absorb the water... if there is any.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the exact same problem and i have a 2006 tiburon gt. i have an intake hooked up right and exhaust but not matter what i do below that temp. it just stutters and shakes. i need to know what that is because i am in chicago and have that problem too much cause the weather is colder in the winter than where u are...

·
Registered
88 Posts
ohh and i have done everything that people have said to try and it still does it...

·
Banned
181 Posts
If it's an 06, take it to the dealer.. Why not use the warranty it comes with..... You shouldn't have to be resetting the ecu and other BS on an 06..

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If you got no mods....take it to the dealer and get a loaner for the day. Make sure its fixed before you leave by test driving it yourself before you leave.

·
Registered
88 Posts
well i have an intake and a catback exhaust?? but those dont void the warranty right, it never did for my other cars

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes my intake is tight, yes i got good gas, its temp. realated and like i said it will only do it once, once the motor stalls it self out, i can start it RIGHT back up and it runs fine, it does it when i first crank it one time when the temp is below 40, and i've tried resetting the ECU, and i took it to hyu. they couldn't get the same thing to happen because it was like 60 all week. it will be hard to diag, but i do think its related to the CAI, maybe the air is too dense for the maf to read it until the motor warms the engine bay up.....that is the most likely problem to me, i just didn't know if someone had a problem and fixed it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
mines doin the same thing. i asked my shop manager and he told me to clean out the MAF with some brake clean i havent gotten a chance to do it yet but it should help my friends 3rd gen eclipes was doing the same thing he cleaned it out and it ran good sooo just something that you might want to try out

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Anyone find solutions etc to this? Mine has just started having some similar problems. We've been down to 0 or below recently and this just cropped up. I have an Injen SRI, that's it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Something is wrong with your car. Take it to the dealer. You'll probably have to leave it overnight so they can see it do a cold start.

(oops, just noticed that you tried taking it in, but now the weather is warmer)

As for mods and cold starts, it gets near zero degrees around here, and I've never had any problems. Yes, the car will be noisy and rev a little higher for some time when you first start it, but I've never had my car cut off, buck, or stumble like mentioned in the first post.

Try some CRC MAF cleaning spray, other than that I don't know, but in my experience CAIs like cold outside air. Once my engine is warmed up, and IF the roads are clear, the Tib is fun to drive in the winter :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Sorry, i know this thread a few months old but im not on here regularly anymore.

Anyone find solutions etc to this? Mine has just started having some similar problems. We've been down to 0 or below recently and this just cropped up. I have an Injen SRI, that's it.
Thats the exact issue (not the Injen specifically, but the intake itself)

Its the intake that is causing it. I had the same issue a few years ago when i first got mine. Came on here looking for advice, was told that the intake is the source of the problem. Change it back out for the stock intake and see, so I did, and my problems went away. So for the winters i always put the stock intake back on

Now i don't know exactly what causes it, but after switching back to the stock intake it was obvious what the problem was.

Just thought i'd shed some light on an issue that a lot of you seem to be having.

·
Registered
219 Posts
yea. most of us with cold air intakes had similar problems during the cold weather. it's because the maf readings are not working out well with the stock setting in the ecu.

most likely, over time you'll get check engine light regarding the maf sensor.
I know if you get a fuel tunner, it should fix your problem after you tune your car. or put your stock intake back on during cold seasons. I did that untill eventually i got the apexi safcII fuel tunner and now car runs smooth during cold weather.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts