Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found a group called "Cold cams" they regrind cams with a "tri-flow" technology. Sounds extremely cool, and from what it shows on their website I'm thinking about trying it.
http://www.coltcams.com/html/tri_flow_technology/index.cfm
Link^

for those of you too lazy to open
TRI Flow Technology

The most common problems encountered when performance camshafts are installed are the loss of bottom end torque, poor idle quality and computer problems.

This phenomenon has been more and more prevalent with high-revving, multi-valve engines. When two valves open at the same time, there is twice as much room for the air to move through. Picture a vacuum hose that has a diameter of say 1". It could quite easily suck up marbles or small rocks. If that same vacuum was hooked up to a vacuum hose of say 5" diameters, what could it pick up? Maybe a feather, but the marbles and small rocks are totally out of the question. An engine works the same way!

When an engine is optimized for HIGH-RPM power, the LOW-RPM power will unfortunately have to be sacrificed... or will it?

What if someone could make a performance camshaft that could make better power at HIGH-RPM with a minimum low - rpm torque loss, without the use of a variable lift cam system?
Colt Cams has managed to do just this for virtually ANY multi-valve engine. By staggering the opening times of the two intake lobes, we have created a swirl in the system. The principle behind this design is to open the intake valves progressively. Opening one valve first allows the fuel to travel across the chamber at a greater velocity due to the smaller venturi action, it then helps pull in the second charge at a faster rate.

This gives the equivalent to the secondaries opening up in a carburetor. In turn, with the larger cam, the engine has better vacuum at idle since there is less overlap, throttle response is greatly increased, and turbocharged vehicles have noticed less lag and faster spool up time. Geoff's theories on the "Tri-flow" have been proven time and time again, on many different engines. The testing has proven the theory, and now it is time to let the world see the results.

Anyone try this before? Because I'm thinking of sending mine in. Also, is this BS? Or are they legit?

This might make Jordan happy..
They're based in CANADA!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Colt Cams are Legit!

I thought they went out of business but I would like to know a price if you call promo... .349 lift... .210 duration

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duds....It's dirt cheap.

Prime int 266° .355 L
Sec int 260° .355 L
EX 274° .365 L
The cost is $400.00 US for the pair

But I think that might be $800 since we have 4 cams total. Not too certain, i'll call them tomorrow.

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm really considering it...I mean, by the way they made it sound, it would idle normal, and the low end torque would not be lost, and the high end power would be incredible. Plus the combustion would be optimal since they'll mix the fuel + air properly...
$800 is worth it IMO

Perhaps we could get a group discount if enough of us want to try it?

Plus we have to ship to canada. I'm on the border, maybe I could drive out to windsor and ship them out and save my self a couple bucks...

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I'm really considering it...I mean, by the way they made it sound, it would idle normal, and the low end torque would not be lost, and the high end power would be incredible. Plus the combustion would be optimal since they'll mix the fuel + air properly...
$800 is worth it IMO

Perhaps we could get a group discount if enough of us want to try it?

Plus we have to ship to canada. I'm on the border, maybe I could drive out to windsor and ship them out and save my self a couple bucks...
ah... I am a no go i'll just wait... Cams are meant for MEAN idle lol...

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crowler is $350 for all 4... Plus shipping...
Really?

Well, they cannot do the tri-flow technology though.. I mean the whole reason for this is when I get the turbo installed I want low end torque and not have to wait for the turbo to spool before I start to move. I would rather have an aggressive start.

If Crower can do that for $350 I'll send mine in tomorrow haha

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Really?

Well, they cannot do the tri-flow technology though.. I mean the whole reason for this is when I get the turbo installed I want low end torque and not have to wait for the turbo to spool before I start to move. I would rather have an aggressive start.

If Crower can do that for $350 I'll send mine in tomorrow haha
you just have to adjust your timing and such you can advance timing to give Low end Retard to give high end... I may have that backwards...

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For some really weird reason....I'm completely Okay with spending $550 regrinds, $175 for the cores, $700 for a full P&P job with larger valves, and $175 for the stock heads..Probably another couple hundred for the tools/ labor to have them installed. But after it's done my car would be so damn fun

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you just have to adjust your timing and such you can advance timing to give Low end Retard to give high end... I may have that backwards...
Advancing the cams gives you better lower end
Retarding it would give you much better high end

But I want both...I want a strong high end without a weak low end.
I think tri-flow is the way to go

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.